FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Open chat

Topic: Flint Original Coney Island
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Flinn's Journal
F L I N T O I D

The old sign is now lit at Court & Grand Traverse.

Post Mon May 12, 2008 9:01 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

It must have been put up after 5 p.m. today. Is it under new ownership? The old Tom Z's sign was leaning up against a building behind the business as late as this afternoon.
Post Mon May 12, 2008 10:04 pm 
Ponycar
F L I N T O I D

I just gotta have a coney island everytime I come through Flint. I'll have to check this place out next week when I'm up there.

Post Tue May 13, 2008 1:33 am 
Flinn's Journal
F L I N T O I D

Tom Z owns the old sign. I recall when the Sloan Museum had an event I went to a few years ago, Tom Z not only offered Coneys, he had the old sign on a flatbed trailer.

Post Tue May 13, 2008 5:36 am 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Excellent Post
Post Tue May 13, 2008 8:02 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
lunchlady
F L I N T O I D

Cool! Thanks!!!

Post Tue May 13, 2008 2:43 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Flinn's Journal
F L I N T O I D

The vintage photo seems to be of 1965/66 vintage, judging from the films on the Royal Theatre marquee, "Flesh & Lace" with "Raw Weekend."

Post Fri May 16, 2008 3:32 pm 
Shawn Chittle
F L I N T O I D

the Genesee County Historical Society has a great little book called something like "Two up to go" about Coney Dogs. awesome! I go to the "real" Coney Island (Brooklyn) to have a hot dog once in a while, but Flint dogs are the best...

ah, the good 'ol days.. I'm dating myself here a bit...

Post Fri May 16, 2008 3:32 pm 
Flinn's Journal
F L I N T O I D

When it's on sale, I would occasionally pick up a package of Nathan's Famous kosher hot dogs at Kroger. The flagship Nathan's Famous is obviously a Coney Island landmark. In the Flint Coneys article I wrote in the Uncommon Sense, I mentioned that there was a Nathan's Famous located inside the Kenny Rogers Roasters in the Lincor Plaza, but it didn't last very long because it couldn't compete with the Flint style Coney restaurants in the Flint area.

Post Fri May 16, 2008 3:37 pm 
Shawn Chittle
F L I N T O I D

Nathan's have a mass produced style about them. And they are small. Kosher is good though. And I do like Hebrew National. That ensures 100% beef, as the Jews don't eat pork.

Koegel's are pork, right? I saw in the movie "Manufacturing Dissent" the guy talk about hot dogs saying Koegel's has quality standards and they are some of the best hot dogs produced. I'd have to agree with that!

How many true Coney Islands are open in the Flint City Limits?

Palace
Tom Z's
Angelo's

Lemme know. Next time I visit I want to do a segment on Coney Islands and hit them all.

Oh Gary I just scored this little bit of Flint history. Check the Rivethead book cover for where I got it! Ha ha.

Post Fri May 16, 2008 6:01 pm 
Flinn's Journal
F L I N T O I D

Back in the 1970s, Michigan had standards for hot dogs which were tougher than the Federal standards. IIRC, Armour sued to enter the Michigan market and got the more lenient Federal standards to prevail. This led Koegel to say in their ads they they're made to tough Michigan standards, of course. Read this article I found:
http://newspapers.rawson.lib.mi.us/chronicle/CCC_1972%20(E)/Issues/08-31-1972_3.pdf

Yes, Koegel Viennas contain pork products. The following URL gives the ingredients for all Koegel products:
http://www.koegelmeats.com/products/db.cgi

Post Fri May 16, 2008 6:37 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

July 2, 1964, I came home from Vietnam. My folks picked me up at Willow Run, & stopped at Flint's Original for a bag of Coneys. A great way to be welcomed home!

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Sat May 17, 2008 7:22 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Adam
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Dave Starr schreef:
July 2, 1964, I came home from Vietnam. My folks picked me up at Willow Run, & stopped at Flint's Original for a bag of Coneys. A great way to be welcomed home!

How do you feel about Vietnam? Do you think we should have stayed and tried to win the war?
Post Sat May 17, 2008 10:33 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

If the politicians had let the military conduct the war, we would have won. The media's insistence that we were losing panicked the politicians. Tet was a military victory that decimated the VC and the NVA, but the media saw it as a loss for us.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Sat May 17, 2008 11:47 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Your right Dave and the offspring of the antiwar hippys along with their ageing parents are doing the same thing today. They had a very interesting program last weekend on history HD channel titled hippies. My son and his girlfriend were up and watched it. It sure opened their eyes about the tune in drop out screw work get high blame America crowd and what a bunch of idiots they were. Lot different then how they are portrayed by the usual hollywood hype. Laughing
Post Sat May 17, 2008 1:02 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: