FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Unpatriotic?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Was he wrong?
Yes
100%
 100%  [ 6 ]
No
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 6

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
FlintConservative
F L I N T O I D

OK...so i was at a Chamber of Commerce event tonight at Sports Creek Raceway. The announcer said "Please stand during our national anthem." I did what my public school education taught me was the proper thing to do. I stood and faced in the direction of the flag.

There was a local politician there who was busy shaking hands and talking to participants...throughout the entire national anthem.

Should he have stopped until after the anthem?
Post Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:45 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

Did you put your right hand over your heart? Wink
Post Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:09 pm 
Steve Myers
Site Admin
Site Admin

My first reflex is to stand at attention and salute.

Post Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:13 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
terrybankert
F L I N T O I D

“When the national anthem is played or sung, citizens should stand at attention and salute at the first note and hold the salute through the last note. The salute is directed to the flag, if displayed, otherwise to the music.
When, on U.S. soil, the national anthem of more than one nation is played, the visitors’ national anthems are played first, and may or may not be followed by our National Anthem. During the visitors’ anthems, all present should stand at attention and face the flags of the nations (or the music, if they are not present). Men not in uniform should remove their hats as well. “
From a google (lost the link)

For some reason I think the hand over the heart is a citizens salute. Police officers and military personal salute hand to forehead. To me it’s a symbol that we are Americans we love our country and have an allegiance to America. It is a recognized symbol of patriotism. I my life on at least one occasion I have lapsed in environments where respect to the country has been given by others. But, patterns of not joining in with our collective opportunities to say we love our country by a politician has meaning. A person can say its my right not to, that I respect, its part of the fabric of being an American, a test to us, a belief in personal liberty. But from a leader or someone seeking to be a leader its another issue.
Post Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:14 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
FlintConservative
F L I N T O I D

quote:
00SL2 schreef:
Did you put your right hand over your heart? Wink

Yes...but I see that so infrequently that I thought I was mistaken. I really couldn't remember if that was just for the pledge of allegiance or for both.

(btw...didn't see anyone else there put their hand over their heart!)
Post Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:26 am 
FlintConservative
F L I N T O I D

http://www.usflag.org/flagetiquette.html
Post Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:30 am 
FlintConservative
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Steve Myers schreef:

Have you served in the military?
Post Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:32 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

I have, and that's my first reaction, too.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:03 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Opprimo
F L I N T O I D

Inexcusable behavior from the individual. 100% in the wrong in that situation. I can remember growing up getting cuffed in the back of the head for forgetting to remove my hat during the anthem... once...

Respect, Honor, Patriotism, common sense, community, etc are all seeping slowly from our populations.

Post Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:48 pm 
Steve Myers
Site Admin
Site Admin

quote:
FlintConservative schreef:
quote:
Steve Myers schreef:

Have you served in the military?

Retired Army 22 years.

Post Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:05 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
FlintConservative
F L I N T O I D

I have to agree with Terry. I think the hand over the heart is the civilian form of a salute.

Personally, having never served in the military, I think it would be inappropriate for me to salute.
Post Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:50 pm 
Ponycar
F L I N T O I D

Just as equally wrong are the participants who was talking to and shaking hand with this local politician. I would have ignored him until the natonal anthem was over, and then told him how disrespectful his conduct was.

Thanks for serving Dave, and Steve. I myself am retired Air Force 24 years. All of it in Security Forces ( one of the few real military jobs in the A.F.).
Post Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:17 pm 
FlintConservative
F L I N T O I D

Thank you and God Bless to all who have served and are serving!
Post Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:44 pm 
Public D
F L I N T O I D

PATRIOT, n. One to whom the interests of a part seem superior to those of the whole. The dupe of statesmen and the tool of conquerors.

- Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary
http://dd.pangyre.org/p/patriotism.html
Post Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:51 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Post Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:55 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: