FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Open chat

Topic: Suspects Kidnap, Kill 94-Year-Old Man, Cut Off His Hand

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

Would this be one of those times you'd consider the death penalty for a crime?

Suspects Kidnap, Kill 94-Year-Old Man, Cut Off His Hand
(Article undated)

Hamblen County, TN (WBIR) - Family members of a murdered Hamblen County man told the Sheriff they negotiated by phone with kidnappers over a ransom demand before alerting police that the man was missing.

That's the latest detail to emerge in the investigation into the grueseome kidnapping and murder of 94-year-old Willie Morgan of Hamblen County.

According to Hamblen County Sheriff Esco Jarnigan, Morgan's body was found just after 6:00 am Monday morning off of Technology Way in Hamblen County. The body was missing its left hand. Sheriff Jarnigan says Morgan was tortured while still alive, but that his hand appears to have been severed after death.

Police believe Morgan was abducted from his home Saturday. Kidnappers then contacted family members to demand money. When the negotiations broke down, family members called police Saturday night to tell authorities their elderly relative had been kidnapped and was in danger.

Six suspects in the man's disappearance were picked up in Chattanooga and questioned most of the day and night Sunday. Police say they found the suspects at the Red Roof Inn on Shallowford Road after following a tip. Three of the six suspects were then arrested and charged.

Butcher knives and Willie Morgan's missing hand were discovered in a vehicle connected to the suspects now in custody. Jarnigan says one of the suspects led authorities to the body Monday morning.

Charged in connection with the crime are Darrell Nance, age 22, Brice Whaley, age 38, and Jessica Lane, age 23.

Jarnigan says the crime does not appear to be random, and that Morgan was targeted. He belives the victim knew his attackers and willingly opened his door to allow them into his home before his abduction on Saturday night.

Morgan's stepdaughter, Nancy McCann tells WBIR-TV she believes the suspects now in custody are friends of Morgan's grandson.

The sheriff says more arrests are pending.
---
Source: http://www.wltx.com/news/story.aspx?storyid=57580
Accessed: January 21, 2008
Post Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:16 pm 
andi03
F L I N T O I D

What they did was the worst thing that I have heard of in a long, long time. An analogy could be that this was a pack of coyotes surrounding an injured rabbit.

I can honestly say that I don't believe in the death penalty, BUT, if it was a family member of mine, I would probably have a different stance/outlook.

Post Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:21 pm 
last time here

i believe in the death penalty. it should be
used on those animals. right after their convicted.
no waiting.... Cool

Post Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:34 pm 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

Don't we have enough crime in Flint without worrying about other cities in other counties in other states?
Post Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:18 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

Flint sure does have its share of crime, Adam. However, this is a human interest story about elder abuse which is of particular interest to me, no matter where it occurs. And, this is an Open Chat forum.

If you want to complain that this topic isn't about Flint, you could also complain that the Political Talk forum isn't much about politics any more. It seems nobody pays attention to Steve's sticky notes at the top of this forum.
Post Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:13 pm 
Opprimo
F L I N T O I D

quote:
last time here schreef:
i believe in the death penalty. it should be
used on those animals. right after their convicted.
no waiting.... Cool

I believe in waiting the 24 hours for a governor's pardon... then hang 'em high.

With modern day evidence & so much leaning in the direction of defendants, save for a few cases of corrupt cops.. by the time the jury says "guilty" its a done deal...

Most capital defenses these days is about finding a loophole to slide through rather than to refute evidence & disprove the prosecution.

Post Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:22 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: