FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Crime Ideas.. Oops use this one to add to it.

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

wanted to bring this one back up. Becuase there seems to be a lack of imagination downtown. So I thought this might help. Plus I had another new idea.

My new idea. We might try also. A departmental officer exchange program. Say sending a few officers from Flint to Amherst NY and have a few of thier officers coem work here? Not just amherst, but other departments with much lower crime rates to see how they do it. Just anohter idea.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Where have all the hot goods gone .The role of pawn shops.
The markets for stolen goods pawn shop act as incentive the burglary.
See:
http://jrc.sagepub.com/cgi/reprint/41/2/156.pdf

[ Found by a google scholar search key words: policed pawn shops]

Summary: Terry Bankert 12/28/05

1. The pawning of stolen property is a significant issue.
A. Pawn brokers are omnipresent offering thieves an easy way to dispose of stolen goods, especially goods with no markings.
B. Many people who pawn have significant arrest records.
C. There are many criminals that rely on pawn shops as outlet for stolen goods.
D. If a small percentage of the goods pawned were stolen this number would be a huge percentage of stolen property reported.
2. It is difficult to intentionally disrupt the market for stolen goods.
A. Enforcement of pawn shop regulations is too perfunctory to interfere with reciepts and disposal of stolen goods.
B. W here the enforcement is effective it displaces the theives to a different stolen comondity.[i.e] Precious metals, antiques, [ aluminum siding], flea markets
C. Most stolen goods are not identifable as such.Most households do mot mark goods or record serial numbers.
D. The cost of recording each stolen item is too great for local government.
E. We must lower the cost of marking, recording serial numbers and
F. We cannot know what is stolen and what is not without greater police resources.
[cost of police tracking stolen item lists against pawn shop records.]
3. The most effective thing we can do is monitor pawn shop records.
A. Monitor suspicious pawners and goods
B. strengthen our pawn details
C. speedier transfer of pawn shop records to police computers.
D. Most police units that monitor pawn shops are underfunded and under staffed.
E. Decision makers do not recognize the value of monitoring pawn shops and the pawn shops do not cooperate.
F. Police units are usually behind on data collection.
G. We will have immediate benefits if monitoring activities were increased.
H. The pawn brokers actively obstruct police monitoring.

ACTION
Question the staffing and policy of the department that monitors pawn shops. Question the budget priorities arguing for greater funding of these police units. Advocate policy that would allow Flint Citizen volunteers to assist the police in date collection. Advocate for public reporting and police accountability.

Note. For general use in developing a data base for others to advocate public policies this outline format is a start. We should cite the primary source, I suggest we work off of internet documents when possible. We should explain how we found the source, ie google search words.
Post Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:35 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
rapunzel

§ 12-62 NAME, ADDRESS, THUMBPRINT AND OTHER INFORMATION REQUIRED FROM PAWNORS AND THE LIKE; PROVISIONS FOR TRANSACTIONS OF ALUMINUM SIDING.
(a) In addition to the requirements of state statutes referred to in this article, every person licensed under said sections shall require that the person from whom goods or a pledge is purchased or pawned give:

(1) His name;

(2) Address;

(3) Place of employment, if any;

(4) General description; and

(5) Legible fully rolled thumbprint on such material as shall be approved by the Police Department. If either thumb is amputated, mutilated or disfigured so that a rolled classified print cannot be obtained, then the rolled classified print of the finger next to the thumb will be accepted, but must be designated on the report. The aforementioned rolled classified thumbprint will be taken on forms supplied by the city, and mailed to the Chief of Police within 48 hours of the transaction. However, any person with a fixed place of business within Genesee County for a period in excess of six months, or his agent, is not required to give a thumbprint as stated above, when the material or goods involved is a used motor vehicle acquired for the purposes of wrecking or salvaging therefrom.

(b) Aluminum siding.

(1) Every person licensed under this article shall also require that the person from whom aluminum siding is purchased or pawned first present his City of Flint permit from the Building and Safety Inspections Division, showing that removal of the siding was authorized. No siding may be purchased or pawned from persons not in possession of a valid permit.

(2) Every person licensed under this article shall also maintain a record showing the permit number, date of issuance, and date of purchase of aluminum siding.

(Ord. 2945, passed 3-11-85; Am. Ord. 3065, passed 7-11-8Cool

§ 12-62.1 OPERATION OF PAWNBROKERS ON SUNDAY PROHIBITED.
It shall be unlawful for any person licensed under the provisions of MSA §§ 19.581 et seq., to transact any business as such pawnbroker, or to open, or keep open the place or room where such pawnbroker’s business shall be conducted, on the first day of the week commonly called Sunday.

(Ord. 2945, passed 3-11-85)

§ 12-62.2 PERIOD OF RETENTION.
All items taken in pawn shall have remained six months in possession of the pawnbroker prior to sale. All items taken in pawn shall be stored separate and apart from other items not less than three days.

§ 12-62.3 RIGHT OF ENTRY OF POLICE, BUILDING INSPECTOR OR FIRE MARSHAL.
Every licensee under this article shall provide access to the premises where business is conducted or property is stored, to any police officer, the Building Inspector or the Fire Marshal, without warrant, during regular hours of business, or at any time the licensee or his agent are on the premises.

§ 12-62.4 SALE OR POSSESSION OF ITEMS WITH SERIAL NUMBERS ALTERED, REMOVED AND THE LIKE.
(a) No licensee under this article or employee thereof shall conceal or misrepresent the identity by removing, concealing, defacing, adding to, substituting or altering the serial number or manufacturer’s number on any motor vehicle, motor, appliance, mechanical device, watch, clock, camera, precision instrument, outboard motor, radio, shotgun or any other article or thing whereon the manufacturer has placed numbers for the purpose of identification; by altering or replacing any part of such article or thing bearing the serial or manufacture’s number with a new or replaced part upon which the proper serial number or manufacturer’s number has not been stamped or placed.

(b) No person licensed under this article shall deal in or possess any motor vehicle, motor, appliance, mechanical device, watch, clock, camera, precision instrument, outboard motor, radio, or other article or thing from which the serial numbers have been removed, concealed, defaced, added to, substituted or altered.

(c) In all prosecutions under this section, possession by any dealer, distributor, wholesaler or person, firm, copartnership or corporation in the business of buying and selling of any motor vehicle, motor, appliance, mechanical device, watch, clock, camera, precision instrument, outboard motor, radio, or other article or thing with the manufacturer’s number or identification number removed, concealed, defaced, added to, substituted or altered, shall be prima facie evidence of violation of the provisions of this section.

§ 12-63 PURCHASE PROHIBITED DURING CERTAIN HOURS.
No person shall purchase any junk between the hours of 6:00 p.m. and 7:00 a.m.

(Ord. 426, passed 5-26-41)

§ 12-64 POSTING OF BUSINESS SIGN; RECORDS REQUIRED TO BE KEPT.
Every person licensed under this article shall post in a conspicuous place in or upon his shop, store, wagon, vehicle, barn or other place of business, a sign having his name and occupation legibly inscribed thereon, and shall keep a separate book, open to inspection by members of the police force, sheriff’s office and other public officers, in which shall be written in the English language at the time of the purchase or exchange of such article or junk.

(a) A description of such articles or junk; including salvaged iron, aluminum, brass, lead, copper and other base metal and their compounds or combinations, the quantity and/or weight of such items;

(b) The name, description and residence of the person, including the driver’s license number and the vehicle license number or a non-driver’s license identification number, from whom the same was purchased and received; and

(c) The day and hour when such purchase or exchange was made.

(Ord. 426, passed 5-26-41; Am. Ord. 2945, passed 3-11-85)

§ 12-65 ARTICLES PURCHASED BY DEALER TO BE RETAINED UNALTERED FOR SPECIFIC PERIODS; EXCEPTIONS; REPORTS TO POLICE.
(a) Articles or junk purchased or exchanged shall be retained by the purchaser thereof for not less than 15 days before disposing of them, in an accessible place in the building or other suitable location, where such articles or junk are purchased and received. A tag shall be attached to such articles or junk in some visible and conspicuous place with a number written thereon to correspond with the entry number in such book. Such purchaser shall prepare and deliver on Monday or each week to the Chief of Police before noon, a legible and correct copy, written in the English language, from such book, containing a description of each article or junk, including, for salvaged iron, aluminum, brass, lead,

copper and other base metal and their compounds or combinations, the quantity and/or weight of such items, purchased or received during the previous week, the hour and day when the purchase was made and the description of the person from whom it was purchased. Such statement shall be verified by the affidavit of the person subscribing his name thereto; provided that this section shall not apply to old rags or waste paper; provided further that the 15-day retention requirement shall not apply to licensed scrap iron and metal processors and recycles.

(b) Any person who is engaged in the business of buying, exchanging, collecting, receiving, storing or selling any used motor vehicle(s) for the purpose of wrecking or salvaging parts therefrom shall report each such transaction to the City of Flint Police Department within five business days (excluding Saturday and Sunday) from the date of the transaction. Such report shall contain, as to each transaction, a description of each such motor vehicle acquired, including its vehicle identification number, the hour and day when the purchase was made and a description of the person from whom it was acquired. Such report shall be on forms approved by the City of Flint Police Department and shall be made under oath. The used motor vehicles shall be retained in the same physical state in which they were at the time of acquisition for a period of five business days (excluding Saturday and Sunday) after the time the report is received by the City of Flint Police Department before being disposed of or altered in any fashion.

(Ord. 426, passed 5-26-41; Am. Ord. 2647, passed - - ; Am. Ord. 2945, passed 3-11-85)

§ 12-66 PURCHASES FROM CERTAIN PERSONS PROHIBITED.
No person shall receive any article from any person who is at the time intoxicated or from any habitual drunkard or from any person known by the person to be a thief or an associate of thieves or a receiver of stolen property, or from any person whom he has reason to suspect is not the owner of the property or from any minor under the age of 18 years without consent of the parents of such minor.

(Ord. 426, passed 5-26-41; Am. Ord. 1685, passed 7-23-62; Am. Ord. 2334, passed 10-26-70; Am. Ord. 2945, passed 3-11-85)

ARE THESE ORDINANCES BEING ENFORCED?????
Post Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:26 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

I'm sorry but I believe the aluminum siding ordinance is another stupid ordinance. We should be focusing on the thief’s. Not on the businesses.

Wow I didn't realize that it was an ordinance for Pawn Shops. Darn, we are we supposed to get there to find our stuff that has been stolen. I hate having to take time off to search for my stuff that was stolen. Then the list the Pawnshops give police that they never check. We have to do it ourselves. So we have to take time off work to do it. When the Shops could be open on Sundays and we would be able to search all of them. The Police sure won't take the time to check their lists.
Post Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:04 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
rapunzel

Stupid is a bad word! Shocked These thieves should not be allowed to get cash 40 to 55cents per lb for aluminum siding if they do not have a permit to tear it down. It is hard to prove where they stole it from or catch them in the act. They can strip a rental the day a tenant moves out.

So the next thing to try is who is providing the market. They should have the fingerprints on file to track down the thieves.

Taking a portion of aluminum siding is only a misdemeanor but try and match new siding to the rest of the house? The cost of residing the house?

You can also look up state law on pawnbrokers Act 231 of 1945. 445.471 somewhere in that group of laws also states closed on sundays.
Post Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:11 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

quote:
if they do not have a permit to tear it down. It is hard to prove where they stole it from or catch them in the act. They can strip a rental the day a tenant moves out.

OK that has worked how well? for How long?

quote:
They should have the fingerprints on file to track down the thieves.
OK currently, some scrap yards require Driver license abd they are video taping the suspects when they come through the door. What's even worse. They are more than happy to help police catch these guys. BUT that would require someone from the dept, spending oh 15 to 20 minutes doing some investigation. Say Calling the Scrap yard. Or responding to a call from the scrap yard when these people come in. So far what resources do the police have available right now to help them solve the Aluminum siding crime?
1. video tape of the perpetrators taking the siding off the houses.
2. Video tape, drivers license, signature of selling the siding to the scrap yard.
OK WHAT MORE DO THEY NEED TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT?

Because of years of lack of response people no longer call when they see this happening because police have refused to do anything for so long.

Any and all theft or destruction of personal property should not just be a misdemeanor. It should automatically come with Jail Time! Why? If your willing to steal something from someone else. You have a complete lack of concern for others. It is just a ring on the ladder as they progress to more violent crimes. Which they don't believe they will ever get caught.

Now, the real and only solution. I believe would be to allow citizen to make a citizens arrest. If police refuse to arrest, because they didn’t see it happen. I realize it isn’t always the police officers fault they have procedures to follow. However, I believe with just a little bit of Imagination, these officers could come up with some solutions. I just feel like they know there is something they could do. But, this sort of thing is a waste of their time,. Not important enough.

I’ll finish latter I gotta get ready for work
Post Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:42 am 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

When you do get an officer to come out. It's "Well what do you want me to do about it?" Becuase, this isn't really what my job is supposed to be. I've looked at the city Website.
What's an Emergency?

An emergency is when immediate police, fire department, or medical assistance is necessary to protect life or property.

If an emergency situation arises — a crime, a fire, a serious injury or illness — ask yourself whether police, fire department, or medical assistance is needed right now to protect life or property. if YES, then immediately call 9-1-1 and advise the dispatcher what has happened or is happening.

Call 9-1-1 whenever you believe there is an emergency. If you are not sure it's a real emergency, call 9-1-1 and the dispatcher will make the final determination.

When the Communications Center receives several 9-1-1 calls at the same time, these multiple 9-1-1 calls are handled on a priority basis. The most serious emergency will be handled first.

No money is needed to call 9-1-1 from a payphone. If there is an emergency, you can just pick up a payphone, wait for a dial tone, and call 9-1-1 without depositing a coin.

If we do not call 911 when we see a crime in progress becuase it is not an "EMERGENCY" who do we call?
And what is the deal with they can only arrest someone when the officer actually sees the crime in progress? (and they wonder why people will not come forward with information?) Why are we the people, less of a person than the Police are? If I'm willing to swear and testify in court as to what I've seen. Why isn't that enough to arrest someone? Misdemenor or not. People committing crimes have to be held accountable. And if an officer will not do anything becuase they did not see it happen... why would we come forth and give them any information about any crime. They condition us to believe (and rightly so) that "We don't matter" anything we see or say isn't going to do any good.

But this discussion belings on a different thread. I would like to keep this as just ideas and suggestions. We have a lot of people on here with some imagination that have come up with some greaat ideas. I'm hoping for a few more before I take them off here and put them in another letter to the Mayor, City Council and Police CHEF! (Master Chef) As long as Crime continues to rise in Flint as it has for the LAST TWO years. He will always be the Chef to me.
Post Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:42 am 
rapunzel

Again, you missed the point. Are the permits being issued? Are the permits being required? Are the logs being kept? Ordinances are no good if they are not being enforced.

No, it has not been working well. Point, set and match.

Fix it or create an avenue to fix it. Or just complain till the darn cows come home. TACT
Post Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:00 am 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

My point is. Amd seems to be the main vien here in Flint. (also Michigan) In stead of doing the logica; thing. And going after the criminals stealing the siding off houses. We want to lay the responsibility on the scrap yards. Instead of taking the TONS of videos tape, eyewitness testimony, Scrap yard Video and documentation to go after the criminals. We want to escape goat the Junk Yard.

It is already a simple fix.
IN one day with all the evidence that the Flint police have at their disposal. They could make probably 6 to ten arrests. Instead by Knowing who is stealing the Aluminum and doing nothing about it. They are encouraging others to do the same!

C'mon Rapzell. I know you have got to know people with video of people stealing the aluminum siding, From the article. I pointed out what I've been saying for years on this issue. The police with minimal effort could find out who is doing it. That's all I'm saying.
Post Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:42 am 
Adam

Even with the video or hard evidence our police's hands are tied without enough investigators. It's easier busting businesses without permits because then you don't actually have to go look for people. I'm not sure our detectives have the time to even watch videotaped evidence let alone go out looking for people. Ted has even said it. He has hard evidence on people but without investigators crimes do not get solved.
Post Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:31 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: