FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Milton lays out the plan

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Adam Ford

http://abclocal.go.com/wjrt/story?section=local&id=3921417

FLINT (WJRT) - (02/19/06)-- There were no classes in session at Kettering University Saturday, but the Campus Center was packed.

Dozens of parents and concerned residents listened as Flint Schools Superintendent Walter Milton outlined his vision for educational reform.

Lloyd Turner and Andrea Price both have children enrolled in Flint Community Schools. Like many parents, they feel change is needed.

"Right now, I'm open to any ideas as far as education reform goes," Turner said.

"As a parent, I'm interested in anything that's going to improve the current educational system in the Flint Community Schools," Price added. "I personally have four children in the school system, so I want it to succeed."

Superintendent Walter Milton is hoping to bring that change. He hopes to reform and revitalize Flint schools. "Moving towards academic excellence and also preparing our children for a very challenging, demanding world, and having inculcated in them the ability to compete."

At Saturday's meeting, Milton laid out his plan. It includes the reconfiguration of schools, attendance boundaries and changes in the curriculum , including the elimination of challenge and magnet programs.

According to this proposal there would be fine arts, physical education and all-day kindergarten at all schools.

At the secondary level, the reconfiguration would establish small learning academies within schools.

Seventh and eighth grades would be "foundation academies."

Ninth graders would be in "freshman success academies" aimed at lowering their dropout rate.

Tenth through 12th graders would be in "commencement academies."

By the 12th grade, all students would be taking dual enrollment college courses.

Milton feels this could be the blueprint for success in the Flint School system. "We're going to put in place the whole notion of reform so that we can move forward to establishing a national model here in Flint Community Schools."

"I think its important that the community as a whole support the decision...whatever decision is made. Because being in Flint and hearing a lot of negative about Flint, this is something that could be positive," Price said.

Pretty crappy coverage if you ask me. I'm sure the plan is in print. I'd like to get a copy of the plan.
Post Sun Feb 19, 2006 12:55 pm 
rapunzel

You should be able to get a copy of the plan at admin building or at the next board meeting.

Mr. C will have a copy. I don't do saturday's.
Post Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:01 am 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: