FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Interesting FACTS I've been looking at

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

I will post a link at the bottom that lists all the links to the FACTS I've found.

I’ve been looking at how others city’s have their Police and Government set up. It only stands to reason to look at city’s that have at or close to our population. I looked at Amherst NY, Boise ID and Flint Mi.

No conclusions I just thought I’d post some facts.

Amherst NY – Pop 117,000 No Mayor but has a City Supervisor, 6 city councilmen, 154 Police officers, Budget (no info) for Police, 52.1 sq miles. Ranked Safest city in class 100,000 – 500,000 population No Ombudsman.

Boise ID – Pop 190,122 Mayor, 6 City Councilmen, 275 Police Officers with a 26 Million dollar budget for Police, 63.8 sq miles. All crime statistics well below National average except larceny. Has Ombudsman

Flint MI - Pop 125,000 Mayor, 9 City Councilmen, 271 Police Officers with a 29,149,234 budget for Police, 34.1 Sq Miles. Ranked 2nd highest crime rate in class 100,000 – 500,000 population and every statistic off the chart well above National averages in every area. Wants to get rid of Ombudsman.

You tell me what is wrong.

You can check these facts on the Internet yourself or on my website with links to most of them. http://www.cityofflint.net/sources.htm
Post Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:52 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  

EXCELLENT WORK!!! Ted I REALLY think this is worth mentioning to the mayor and perhaps the city council. I feel we need to be competitive. Where is the extra 3 million going? I REALLY think we need to take a VERY hard look at Boise Idaho. Who's the mayor out there? Maybe we could move him out here to be the Ombudsman. lol Seriously though. This is definately a very serious issue worth looking into.

Person to person Boise is somehow saving 18 million dollars!!!
Post Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:20 pm 

http://www.cityofboise.org/BudgetOffice/FY04FY05/Guide/Budget_Glance.pdf Is the Budget for Boise

http://www.cityofboise.org/BudgetOffice/FY04FY05/TOC/ is where I found this.

I really like Boise's website as well http://www.cityofboise.org/

Personally I'm very competitive and it bothers me that it seems like Boise is wasting Flint in almost every measure possible. Once again Boise is doing better with $18 million dollars less proportionally!!!

Ted are you going to take this to the council and/or mayor?

Adam Ford
webmaster@mysearchisover.com
Post Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:32 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Adam,
For some reason no one really wants to talk about the problems in Flint Honestly. We don't want to hurt peoples feelings. As you can see. One main difference which really has nothing to do with the Police dept is. Number of City Councilmen. We have more than we should have for a city this size.
We have some serious problems that no one wants to address. They are too willing to keep throwing good money after bad.
Poverty, welfare, bad parenting are all excuses for crime. None of them create or cause crime. They may be some factors that are related. But just being poor, or having a single parent growing up on welfare is not a cause of crime.
I don't understand why? If there is a better way? This city doesn't want to find out what that is? They would rather make excuses, then hold people accountable for their actions. And while the Police are the "First" responders. the justice system and system of punishment is very much lacking.
I do understand how good COPs can become disheartened with the system. But, that doesn't mean they should become complacent. Good leadership can help to provide that motivation to keep up the good fight. Rather than add 8 or nine more officers. I would rather see a few more of the Bad cops let go. Some raises and a contract be hashed out. And open the city jail or Build a new one. It does seem that one of the problems is that we have too much crime. Partially because jails are over crowded. Well then we need more space.
Demoralization of the Flint police can be traced all the way back to Mayor Stanley. Eight years without a contract is not all Don’s fault. I fault him for not making it a priority to get resolved. That should have been one of the very first things he pushed for. He should have been taking the lead, actively pushing daily to sit down at the bargaining table and work out a deal. Did you hear the Mayor on the Barber show on Thursday. This is the guy I voted for. As I was listening to him, I wanted to slap him upside his head and tell him. “Then take the lead!” “Actively pursue a contract with the Police Union.” They are really in a tuff spot. They legally cannot strike. And when the Mayor sits on his butt and doesn’t do anything about not having a contract. It gives them a bad attitude. We the people end up on the receiving end. Then begin to give that attitude right back. That’s where we are at right now.
As far as the council. DO you really think they are going to seriously look at their own numbers? We obviously have more than we need. Personally. The job doesn't pay well enough for me to want to take it. And if they truly wanted what was best for Flint. They should be promoting the idea of downsizing the City council for the next election. Personally I would rather see a smaller council. But one that was able to work full time as a councilman. The job itself takes up way more of their time than what they are being paid for. Sure it's decent pay for a part time job. But they are expected to be everywhere and a part of everything in their wards. I think it is just too much to expect out of anyone. For what they get paid. I could see downsizing it and then paying the remaining 5 (I think five would be plenty) 35 - 45 thousand a year. That way they would be available during the day. When people are calling their offices. they would have time during the day to walk down to the maintenance dept and see how things are run. Or go into the water dept and see what is going on. They would be able to make better decisions on the things that affect this community.
Post Sat Feb 18, 2006 10:55 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Steve Myers
Site Admin
Site Admin

I agree , we have too many City Councilmen and someone should look into the number of police officers we have as well.

Last edited by Steve Myers on Sun Feb 19, 2006 1:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Sat Feb 18, 2006 11:49 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Adam

Ted,
You make a VERY strong case. There's a slight chance I might want to keep all nine though. Didn't this city used to have 200,000 people? I'm not convinced this town is completely dead and not able to come back. If the schools come back among other things I think some promising things could start to happen. I'm not quite ready support downsizing quite yet. Although we're still along ways from it, if things start to change I feel we could hit 225,000 if we were able to pick up Flint Township and move the population back in. Flint picking up the township is not a totally outlandish idea. It could make sense for both to combine. Also with the charter revision didn't the council loose a lot of it's power? Isn't the mayor respnsible for most of everything? On a side note Terry has mentioned the two year terms. You seem to be the most active campaigner. Would you support going back to the two year terms like this city had originally? I think four years is two long to have a bad city government. It has happened before who says it won't happen again. Isn't the mayor already reopening the jail? Where is the city jail? I would like to see less people in jail and more criminals doing community service taking down the gang graffiti that is all over the place.
Post Sun Feb 19, 2006 12:47 am 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

quote:
There's a slight chance I might want to keep all nine though. Didn't this city used to have 200,000 people?

Ok but even if we had 200,000 people. You can see that cities that already have that many citizens don't have 9 city council members.

The city jail is a smae jail inside the city police dept building. In the basement. It needs to be opened and expanded in size.

Personally I think 4 years is just fine. It don't matter to me either way.

And that graffiti I would find this hard to believe it is true gang graffiti. I have lived here in gang central for ten years. I haven't seen any real activity in at least three years.
Post Sun Feb 19, 2006 1:37 pm 
Steve Myers
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ted, have you ever thought about forming a citizen investigative group?

Here is how I see it working:
Form and announce who you are and why you have formed.
Announce what you are investigating and when you will have results available.

This could be done via press releases.

What do you think??
Post Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:42 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

That is a good idea Steve, I just don't have the time it deserves.
I'm assuming your talking about investigating local levels of government compared to population and economic statistics.

I really think you are on to something with that idea. In order to do something like that, the right way. We would need to have people actually visit other communities such as Boise and Amherst to see how they are operating. The thing I’ve always noticed about investigations by groups. Recommendations are seldom accepted or followed completely.
I almost think Flint needs the citizens to “rise up” so to speak. Make some charter changes. Which should force the changes to be enacted.

Nine council people are too many. Plus, part time just isn’t enough time to effectively hold them accountable. With 40 hours a week at work and having a family. You cannot devote the time to this city needed to effectively manage it. I noticed even Eric Mayes seems to like this idea.

Just like with the Maintenance dept spending over a million dollars on one vehicle to repair it (which is a sign of piss poor management).
Our City Police dept has well more than enough officers for the size of this city. We have a larger budget than cities with almost twice as many residents. I believe the managing of the Police dept is mostly to blame. This has been allowed to go on under this mayor and the last two former Mayors and the last two city councils.

My personal end goal is to somehow influence change in the way the Police dept is run. It is currently not effective and not efficient. We have the man power and we have the money. I’m not seeing being able to influence change with the structure of government we have now in the city. I’m thinking we need to look at the City council and the Mayor first. The Mayor is the main honcho. This is where most of the blame should fall. He has direct authority over the Police dept. If he wants it changed. He can do it. While I do not blame Don for the crime and how it got to this point. He takes a lackadaisical stand on crime and has not stepped up to the plate and influenced any changes that could be remotely considered a step in the right direction. Let alone any direction.

Maybe I’ll start floating that idea to others.
Post Sun Feb 19, 2006 5:15 pm 
Adam

Good luck. You don't even come to the council meetings do you? If you really want to influence things maybe we should meet up some time. I think I have a lot higher ambitions than you.

Post Sun Feb 19, 2006 8:27 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Whatever, I pay alot of money to go to school. I'm not taking a night off to cast pearl before swine at a city council meeting. I write them so they know what I've got to say. Saves them the embarrassment of giving BS excuses for why they purchase Tahoes from Lansing without putting it out for Bid or are buying Garbage trucks for Southfield instead of the Forth Ward or tree cutting or lawn cutting from Saginaw based companies not employing Flint residents. I've talked to some of them. I've listened to their reasons. I still don't see how their reasons were the best decision for the City of Flint. And I already have to leave work an hour early to go to school. That's an investment into my future. My speaking during a council meeting isn't going to change their minds on iota.

And Adam, you can have all the Ambition you want. But, your misguided if you think anything you say in those five minutes is going to influence anything they do. Unless your running down your former councilman they will patronize you then continue to do what is in their best interest. Or if your venting and it looks good for them to let you continue to speak then they will let you. It's all about perception. They most continue to give the perception that they are all things to everyone.
Post Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:07 am 
Adam Ford

I definately realize how little or no impact what I say to the council does. I care more about what the citizens of this town think about what I say an apparently they don't care a whole lot either. Unless people back each other up and get a strong aggresive tight-nit coalition going nothing will change. 1 person saying stuff to the city council means nothing but if I had 50 or 100 people backing me up perhaps they would. In addition, just talking to the city council is candy ass tactics for me. I intend to take much more aggressive action but it also won't have any effect if everyone just decides to sit on the sidelines and complain. This town sometimes annoys the hell out of me. It sometimes seems like everyone complains and no one acts. The only reason I go and complain is to try and build support so i can be in a position to act. Eventually it will be time for me to act with or without support. I'd prefer to do it with support. Anyways Ted you know my email address. Otherwise I will continue to call your ass out. This Ombudsman issue is a small fry but you've done a good job with the campaign. I think you need to start thinking bigger and get ready to act. Anyone can complain. Real leaders take action. I think the time to take action is now.

Post Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:43 am 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

OK Adam,
What action can you say you've actually taken. And how effective was it?
There is no real difference between calling or writing your city council person over speaking to the as a group at council meetings.
Niether really gets anything done.
Now becuase poltics in Flint works by what you personally will do for someone. Ie mowing their lawn or cutting some trees for them. And not the quality of Character, or the ideas that the candidate has, or even proven track record is not considered. It's an uphill battle on attempting to get anything done here.

I'm not talking about a complete revap of the city government. It's an uphill battle to get a freaking pot hole fixed that has been in the same spot since I lived on Missouri Ave in 1976. The same one that we complained about 30 years ago is still there. right at the corner of Missouri and Franklin. You could loose a toyota in that thing.
It's an uphill battle to get police to arrest a convicted felon after he has pawned your stuff at a pawn shop. Or after police know where the guy has all your stolen property hidden, they still refuse to do anything.
Just look at Mr. Eldredge over there on Cecil dr. The other street I used to live on. They pettitioned to get a baracade. And then the city just removes it. No discussion, Just removes it. It was placed to stop speeders. It's gone now. You think he is happy about it. I know he is not sisnce he is at alomst every city council meeting complaining about it. Now if one of his family gets killed becuase of the problems they have without the barracade. He becomes angry becuase it could have been prevented. Then takes the law into his own hands becuase no one else will. He will end up in jail. Not the speeder that killed his family member.
An Ombudsman could resolve all these issues. Thereby, influencing the Police to do their job, influenceing the city to take action.
Who do you go to now for that? City council? Mayor? Try it. See where you really get. I'm still waiting on my council person to set up a meeting with Don. I'm not holding my breath.
Post Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:10 am 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: