FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Debate at High Noon!

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
rapunzel

Speakers for and against the Office of Ombudsman! sponsored by EBA, held at Brown Funeral home, 1616 Davison Rd. free lunch!

Featuring Attorney Terry Bankert, former Ombudsman and Thomas Donnellan, Attorney, who also was the attorney for the writing of the City of Flint Charter! This should be a great meeting, audience questions will be submitted in writing and answered by speakers.

This is leading into the public Debate on Feb. 23, 7-9 pm at the International Institute co-sponsored by Flint Area Public Affairs Debates and the League of Women Voters of the Flint Area. Speakers on that evening will also include Kathie Dones- Carson, President and CEO of the Black Chamber of Commerce and Ehren Gonzales, 8th ward councilperson.

Get informed and remember to Vote on Feb. 28!
Post Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:26 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Where is the Public Debate at? It appears the brown funeral Home meeting is at lunch time? Bummer, But, that 7-9 PM one I'll be looking forward to attending!
Post Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:13 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

My other question? Why is the informative stuff always scheduled during the day when everybody is at work and cannot attend?
Then there is the free lunch. It's held on the Eastside. Where people line up on Lewis street hours before the doors open for the free food. There i a church over there that gives out food for the needy. I'm amazed how many needy Flint has that drive new cars and get there early. I wonder how many of those people vote?
I'm sorry, but it just seems a bit convenient to have this stuff available when the majority of people cannot participate.
When the debate for the City Council was put on. It was in the evening. I personally thought there was a pretty good turn out! I was also surprised more people didn’t write the Urinal when claimed that only about 50 people where there. Rapunzell. You were there. I would have estimated closer to 100 – 125 maybe even higher. Did you guys count the attendance that day?
I owuld be interested to know how many people show up for this Debate around lunch time?
Post Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:26 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
DELETED

DELETED
Post Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:05 am 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Sorry, I've got his number at the house. I'm at "WORK" right now and don't have access to it.
I ask the same questions. Who do you call when the Mayor won't look into Police problems, What do you do when the Police Chief won't look into problems, what do you do when the Police themselves won't do their jobs? Nobody if the Council get's it's way. Vote NO on Propsal 2
Post Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:42 am 
rapunzel

quote:
Ted Jankowski schreef:
Where is the Public Debate at? It appears the brown funeral Home meeting is at lunch time? Bummer, But, that 7-9 PM one I'll be looking forward to attending!

Ted- the International Institute, 515 Stevens St. Flint. If you are driving North on Chavez service drive from Davison Rd. or Franklin go past the entrance to U of M. It will be the next right (I think). It is right on the corner with many flags of nations flying in plain view. Easy Location to find!

Thanks we try to accomidate opportune times for all citizens.
RAP
Post Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:23 am 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

How about some highlights? What where the arguements? For and against.
Post Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:15 am 
Adam Ford

I think the debate went excellent! I think Bankert is a better debater so I'd say he won hands down. There were a few chants of Bankert for mayor. I though that was nice but Terry was saying he doesn't want to get back into politics. Interestingly Attorney Donnelin seemed to concede the election. He thinks the Ombudsman office will be retained. Terry explained what the office is for and explained the things he used to do and issues he looked into. He also mentioned promulgated rules which is interesting. I think I will look more into that. Personally I think the Ombudsman will be retained but I am wondering if it will be very close. I expect the north end and the east side to support it strongly. Another interesting thing Terry said was he thinks any one of us in the room would be qualified to be the Ombudsman. He also said when he ran the office there was a $450,000 budget!!! He did say that he feels the office could be effectively run with under $200,000 perhaps as low as $150,000. I think the next debate should be much better. Terry also mentioned about the reasons for the previous problems with the office such as Patrick Buchanan getting booted out and the city purposely putting in a week Ombudsman. I guess Binion really is very sick though.

Adam Ford
webmaster@mysearchisover.com
Post Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:39 pm 
Steve Myers
Site Admin
Site Admin

Joe Q Public has no idea what an Ombudsman is and he does not like the PO PO.

I predict a very low turn out and the proposal will pass or fail by 20 to 30 votes.

Last edited by Steve Myers on Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:58 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Steve you definitely add some spice to the conversation. You are correct in that John Q public has no idea what the office is or who it was or why we even have it. I talk to at least 5 new people every day. two out of five even know what an Ombudsman does. And out of the two they didn't know Flint even had one. So it is a difficult path for us to travel in gaining support.
What I believe is going to happen. Is they will again Choose someone politically connected, who follows orders and cannot think for themselves. They will set the office up to fail miserably. Then use it as another reason to get rid of the office.
From what I've read about the position. The Ombudsman really doesn't have any authority to enforce or make policy. If the ombudsman does his job correctly. He/She will report the findings of their investigations openly and fairly. then make recommendations. If presented the right way. Blame can be made and correction recommended to the betterment of everybody.
Public offices can be actually held accountable. Once the recommendation has been made it is made public. The public will decide if the Ombudsman is doing his job or not.
The Charter requires reporting to council at least annually. I believe that should be changed to quarterly. Findings should also be made available online quarterly. Summaries of investigations, and recommendations that have been made. City Council should then take up the torch and follow up to see if the recommendations are being implemented. If I was Ombudsman I would be taking an active role in making sure that recommendations where being implemented. If not, I'd report the excuses given as to why they haven't been. Accountability, Accountability Accountability!!! http://www.boiseombudsman.org/2005investigativerpt.htm Read some of these. Then tell me someone doing this would not be beneficial to the City of Flint.
Post Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:40 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: