FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: November ballot proposals

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Adam Ford

These are just ideas but:

Proposal 1: Limit city council terms to two years beginning with the next election.
This would take us back to the original charter and would help make sure in the future we don't have a bad city council for and extra 2 years. I am not saying the current council is bad but I think the original charter is better in this respect.

Proposal 2: Limit the mayors term to 2 years beginning with the 2011 election.
Once again this would take us back to the original charter. We could have this start at the end of the next mayors term.

Other possible proposals:
If the Ombudsman looses which I feel it should I might be willing to support a ballot proposal to re-elect Terry Bankert as Ombudsman to the city of Flint but only for one year terms renewable by a yearly election of voters with NO TERM LIMITS!!! If voted the Ombudsman is voted down the council should appoint a new Ombudsman within 45 days.
Term limits are why Terry is not and will currently never be allowed to be the Ombudsman again. I think 7 year job security with no chance for renewal is bad idea. Although someone like Terry should not need yearly renewal I feel we need to look long term

Other possible ideas are we could step in and defend whoever we feel like on the November ballot. For example we could have a ballot proposal for the city of Flint to drop legal action against GECA.

Because we are well conected we should not have any widely supported proposals on the November ballot. This is just a test run. If you guys do not support any of these than I will nott press the issue. If you do perhaps Attourney Bankert can get the language ready for the November ballot!!!
Post Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:08 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

You know, I'm curoius? What or how do we as the public get our ideas on the ballot? I would like to see about downsizing the City Council. Since they are so HOT on saving money. We should look into redistricting the Wards and down sizing the council.
I really think the City council has done this to themselves. And it needs to be done.
Post Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:33 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

You know, I'm curious? What or how do we as the public get our ideas on the ballot? I would like to see about downsizing the City Council. Since they are so HOT on saving money. We should look into redistricting the Wards and down sizing the council.
I really think the City council has done this to themselves. And it needs to be done.
Post Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:33 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Adam Ford

http://www.amlegal.com/nxt/gateway.dll/Michigan/flint_mi/cityofflintmichigancodeofordinances?f=templates$fn=default.htm$3.0$vid=amlegal:flint_mi$anc=

Sec. 2-402 PETITIONS FOR INITIATIVE AND REFERENDUM.
A. Initiative and referendum petitions must be signed by a number of City electors equivalent to at least five percent (5%) of the total number of votes cast for Mayor at the last regular Mayoral election.

(I estimate it would take about 1000 signatures to get something on the ballot. An easier way would be to go through the council.)

Having Attourney Terry Bankert help us could ensure our language would pass. For the record I think we should re-look at the old charter. I'm sure the new charter might be better but I think if you all looked at all the changes you might have some issues. Personally I don't know why you would move away from something that worked so well. Why do we have to try and be like every other city? I think this town needs to take a second look at it's amazing history and not just the last 20 or 30 years when it was run into the ground.
Post Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:22 pm 

Just as an FYI. I beleive the recall law is

25% of total votes cast for position at last election collected within 90 days. So I assume it takes about 100-200 signatures to do a recall for a Flint Council person and probably around 5,000 to recall the mayor. Hopefully this will never again come into play but you never know.

Source
http://www.ncsl.org/programs/legman/elect/recallprovision.htm

In the charter it seems to say we file the state recall rules.
I'm definately not calling for any recalls but it's nice to know what the rules are.
Post Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:27 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Personally I am rarely for recalls. As I refused many times to sign the recall of stanely. However, I was blown away how so many people voted him into county government.
Post Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:29 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: