FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Issues and fixing them!
Goto page Previous  1, 2
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Adam Ford

Whoops I thought the total was much lower. For some reason I thought we were closer to 150 officers. I dont't know where I was getting that but here is a scary quote for you guys.

"Speer says only 11 to 13 officers are patrolling the streets per shift in a city that has been rated one of the highest in the nation for crime."

Source
http://abclocal.go.com/wjrt/story?section=local&id=3617322

On another note I imagine Amhurst has more jobs. We have very high unemployment. I assume their demographics are different as well. The may not even have any gangs. I've heard we have 3 pretty well organized gangs in this city. In addition I think we are the center of the Genesee County drug trade. You should also look at the number of arrests/police calls Amherst NY has. More arrests and calls mean less officers patrolling the streets. Police do a lot of paperwork from what I hear. For example. How long does it take to pull someone over? about a minute or two. Then it takes about 10 or 20 minutes while the officer checks the records and writes a ticket. Then if an arrest is made an officer could have to report to 3 or more government agencies from what I've heard.
Post Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:52 pm 
Adam Ford

To follow up on my previous post here is an organization chart for the Flint police.

http://www.ci.flint.mi.us/Police/orgCHART.pdf

Judging by this I would imagine we really have about 150 police officers patrolling the streets. Perhaps they are the less experienced officers with lower senority? With this total I imagine at times there my be only one or two officers for an entire ward. I wouldn't be surprised if the city of Goodrich has more than one or two patrolling officers at night because they probably do not need things like a gang unit, special ops, or youth resources.

Here is our crime stats.
http://www.ci.flint.mi.us/Police/Stat.htm A lot of stuff went up last year.
Post Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:04 pm 
rapunzel

40 cops' jobs said to be at stake in Flint police millage vote
FLINT
THE FLINT JOURNAL FIRST EDITION
Sunday, February 12, 2006
By Bryn Mickle
bmickle@flintjournal.com • 810.766.6383

FLINT - The recent wave of homicides in Flint may motivate more voters to get to the polls this month, a police union official said.
City residents on Feb. 28 will decide the fate of Flint's police millage, a 2-mill property tax that pays for 16 percent of the city's police force.
The five-year millage passed with nearly 80 percent approval in 2001, but supporters aren't taking any chances this year.

"If it fails, we'll lose 40 positions," said Flint Police Officers Association President Keith Speer.
Ten homicides last month only magnifies the city's need for police officers, Speer said. Losing cops for a lack of funding would be devastating, he said.
The community policing millage has been in place since 1992 and funds officers with the Crime Area Target Team and the Community Oriented Policing Services program.
Last year, the 40 officers in those programs responded to nearly 22,400 police calls and handled about 4,900 neighborhood complaints about everything from prostitution to drugs.
"To lose (those officers) would be devastating," said acting Flint police Chief Gary Hagler.

The city has about 252 officers and plans to hire eight more.

Although Hagler would like more money to further bolster his ranks, he said economic conditions make it a poor climate for a millage hike.
Instead, Hagler hopes voters will agree to keep paying the estimated 65 cents a week an average Flint household currently pays for the police millage.
So far, there has been no vocal opposition to the millage, but supporters hope voters don't stay home from the polls.
"I'm not sure if people are paying much attention to (the millage)," said Flint City Council Vice President Sheldon A. Neeley.
If the measure fails, Neeley said it will be hard to make up the estimated $3-million shortfall.
"It would be very difficult to maintain the current level without the millage," said Neeley.

Validation read 252 officers******* I am not always right but I do not lie!!!
RAP
Post Sun Feb 12, 2006 7:48 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

quote:
If the measure fails, Neeley said it will be hard to make up the estimated $3-million shortfall.
"It would be very difficult to maintain the current level without the millage," said Neeley.

This is what fries my REAR!! They talk about this only being a renewal. And how hard it will be to make up that money. YET EVERY SINGLE YEAR!! My property taxes go MORE than what this millage is supposed to cost me. City workers, Police, Fire all have either not been given a raise or have taken cuts. So what the hell is city all doing with all the money they've been getting form my increases every year!! And why does my house value go down 5% every year?
quote:
Target Team and the Community Oriented Policing Services program.
Last year, the 40 officers in those programs responded to nearly 22,400 police calls and handled about 4,900 neighborhood complaints about everything from prostitution to drugs.
"To lose (those officers) would be devastating," said acting Flint police Chief Gary Hagler.

Yes and in a city with stats of 14,000 reported crimes on the stats page on the city website. It would appear that 40 officers are picking up the slack for the remaining 212 (using your current numbers) It sure seems like we should be a whole lot better off than we are with as many officers as we have.
But unfortunatley our officers feel they have time to waste Harassing the mechanics that work on the police cars. Or are too busy eating Yogurt to help a citizen of this city. I'll bet with less Yogurt eating and less BSing with people doing nothing wrong and doing their jobs. They could do a little more police work!.
Post Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:28 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: