FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Issues and fixing them!
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Adam Ford

What issues do you people have? I think more officers will help our police issues. I think the city has a horrible business climate and I presented ideas to the council but I doubt they will do anything. I may go to the mayor in a month or two and I will come back again to the council when http://mysearchisover.com has grown a little more and I will have more credibility to get them to listen to me.
Post Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:22 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Pretty Simple to me. http://www.cityofflint.net/Crime.htm

Why haven't they returned the guns to the rightful owner?
Why didn't they arrest him before he committed the second group of crimes?
Why didn't police even question the suspect once they had evidence that he had committed the crime? (pawned victims property, eye witness testimony, etc)
Why didn't police talk to the neighbor who called Police when they saw the Suspect out the next day shooting one of the stolen firearms out in the street?
Why did police feel it necessary to harass me about my dogs barking at the suspect, just weeks before he broke into the neighbors house? (Were they trying to help him, by attempting to get me to get rid of my dogs so he could break into my house too?)

ACCOUNTABILITY ACCOUNTABILITY ACCOUNTABILITY!! WHERE IS IT?
Post Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:35 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Adam Ford

I'd like to interview some police to find out what's going on but I think they're smart enough to understand the concept of reprisals. Have you ever wondered why Flint police never say anything? They're probably smart enough to know if they do say something nothing will happen. It's also pretty dangeroud for us to turn our backs on the police and not give them a contract and at the same time expect them to risk their lives protecting us.
Post Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:21 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

I do agree to a point. However, Nothing has changed in over ten years! Had it been different ten years ago and something had changed before this 8 years without a contract. I would agree. Sure this isn't right. They should have a contract. However, Providing the service they've provided for last ten years. I'm in no hurry to do anything to press the issue. I'm willing to say they deserve one. But not willing to lobby for it. Now, had before their contract was up they were busting their buns to do their job and then they didn't have a contract. I'd be writing the mayor and everyone I can think of to get them a contract. But, they haven't been providing the service they took an oath to do from long before their contract was over. I'm not feeling any pity.
Post Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:36 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
rapunzel

different issue---Why did the city lose the contract for demolitions for a period of time?????

hint- has something to do with Mt. Morris site and back filling into Flint demos.
Post Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:24 am 
Adam Ford

I wasn't around 10 years ago. Have you ever thought about being a Flint Police officer? It's easy to criticize the Flint police but as for me personally I would not be willing to be a Flint police officer for even $100,000 per year. Another issue is management. You can have the best police officers in the world but with bad management and/or bad prosecution and/or little or no community support what can you expect? In areas like the north end and possible the East side you can probably have 10 people witness a gang shooting and possibly have no one that is willing to testify. Would you be willing to testify if you had 10 gang members promise you your child and/or wife would be dead if you do testify? It's not all the police's fault. Once again you can have the best police force in the world but if no one is willing to testify in court anybody in this city could go around and gun down anybody. This is an extreme example but there is some truth to it. Gangs will take steps to intimidate or kill witnesses. A dead witness is often times no witness. Who knows perhaps the gang members know where the police live??? Would you be more concerned about protecting a community that is too scared to help you or protecting your family and keeping them alive? These are just ideas. I know people like to criticize ideas but whatever. Any moron can criticize ideas and talk about how bad things are but at least I am offering solutions. Another issue is that the police are probably out numbered, out gunned and outsupported by the gangs in this city. Can you say hostile working conditions Ted? Not to mention this city has not even given them a pay raise or contract. Once again I'd probably rather work for McDonalds than to deal with the what the Flint police have to deal with. I know how good people are at criticizing the current mayor but I am not the current mayor. It may take me a long time but I will keep coming no matter how outnumbered or outgunned I am. Once again I think the Flint police need a contract and more community support!!!

webmaster@mysearchisover.com
http://mysearchisover.com
Post Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:19 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Valid Issues and valid points. But not applicable.
No am not willing to work for 26,000 a year as an officer for the Flint police Dept. (But those doing the job now aren't earngin what they are being paid).
THey are severly underpaid. however, when you have 100 more officers than is necessary. Something has to give.
You are correct. Their management is terrible. This is why it takes more officers than is needed in order to provide very poor service. With a good police force, willing to do thier job. I believe with proper management we could do a whole lot better.

quote:
Would you be willing to testify if you had 10 gang members...
I do not have kids, And you'd better believe I'd be willing to testify. I would still be willing to testify if I have a wife and kids. My wife would know how to shoot and be willing to do it.

quote:
Any moron can criticize ideas and talk about how bad things are but at least I am offering solutions.

I've got solutions! DO THIER JOB! Driving by the scene of a crime and not getting out of your car is not Law Enforcement or Investigation. It is piss poor police practice. That is Business as usual in this city. What suggestion would you give in that situation. Police drive by but won't get out fo the car? The only suggestion can be and is "Do your job".

quote:
the police are probably out numbered, out gunned and outsupported by the gangs in this city.

not true. there has been little if no gang related activity around here in a long time. Out guned is a problem that can be fixed. Out manned is also a problem. Just beause it happens in Flint doesn't mean we don't get support from the county and State when needed.

quote:
Once again I think the Flint police need a contract and more community support!!!

I agree, they deserve a contract Just like McDonalds employees do. OOps bad example. Wether I believe they are worth it or not. They do deserve a contract. It isn't right that they are not allowed to strike. They should strike. Illegal or not. That hasn't stopped them from doing anything else illeagal now has it?
Community Support. I wasn't always like this. Really. The more the Poliice dept continues to not to act. as long as they continue to refuse to not do their job. They will never get community support. When the Community has to band together and complain in order for them to do their job. They will never get community support.

When the community calls 911. the officer shows up get's out of his car. Asks questions about what has happened. Walks accross the street and asks neighbors what they have seen. then acts upon that information by actually talking to the supected criminal. Community support will not change. Now what in this last paragraph is performing over and above what is expected. NOTHING. That is just the BARE minimum. No excuse of "No Contract" or "Bad Management" or "Being Outgunned" fits as an excuse for not doing the bare minimum. You call the County Sheriff or The State Police and they do that then some.
Post Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:39 pm 
Adam Ford

Good points. Don't get too bent out of shape over them. I'm just saying there are other things to consider and because none of us work for the police department we don't really know what exactly is going on and who exactly is not doing their jobs? Who are the bad officers? They're not all bad I can tell you that. In addition I think you would think differently if you might think differently if your kid and some family memebers have been gunned down like too many Flint families. Many people live in fear in this town. It's nice that you are not scared but many peopel are scared. I personally am not willing to risk my life to do unarmed community patrols with no protection. You say police aren't doing their job? From what I've heard most Flint police spend their day going call to call. Out of 150 officers I can pretty much guaranteee a few will not do their job. It's the same with any government agency or business. I dunno maybe the Ombudsman will magically solve everything but I'm not that confident. From what you are saying it makes it sound like we should get rid of every officer and get a whole new police force. I don't think that is much of a solution. One other thing. You kids wouldn't be allowed to carry a gun from school. That would mean they could get gunned down coming home from school. I can pretty much guarantee that has happened in this town.
Post Sun Feb 05, 2006 4:36 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Actually I think that is a very good idea.
quote:
From what you are saying it makes it sound like we should get rid of every officer and get a whole new police force.
It sure couldn't hurt.

I just took a test in programming the other day. I had the whole thing written but couldn't get it to work. Everything looked OK but I couldn't find the problem. Rather than wasting my time continuing to try to find the error. I scrapped the whole thing and wrote it again. It took less time to rewrite it than I had already spent debugging it. Guess what. It worked the first time. Some times it is better to scrap the whole thing and start from scratch.
There are too many little things wrong with the Flint Police dept. Too many attitudes and covering for each other. If Flint isn’t going to bring in someone from the outside. With no political ties to anyone in Flint and let them fix the problems. Then scrap the whole dept and start from Scratch.
Post Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:27 pm 
Adam Ford

In theory it's not a bad idea. In reality I think it could be pretty dangerous to go without police while we are replacing them. This does bring up a good issue though. Corporate culture. It's not going to be a simple task to go from a bad police department to a spectacular one. Hopefully an aggresive Ombudsman could get some positive changes but who knows. I think there are things that should be being done now like interviewing officers to find out what changes should be made. We shouldn't need an Ombudsman to babysit this city and help it do its job.
Post Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:24 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Well from what I can tell. It may boil down to "Job Security" If you actually fight crime you don't need as many officers. If you don't fight crime you can always claim to need more officers.
Post Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:36 pm 
Adam Ford

So then you think it's a lie that officers are going call to call? How many officers do you think we should need? 1 per 5,000 or 10,000 residents at a time? When you figure in half of a policemans job in paperwork and the level of crime in this city it seems to me like we would be understaffed. Right now there should be times when we have about 1, maximimum 2 police covering the whold fourth ward. Do you really think that is enough? I think the city of Davison has more officers per residents then Flint does and they should have a lot less crime.
Post Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:01 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Adam, Help me out here.
Flint is supposed to 271 officers.
We have a population of 125,000 people. Now I know I'm not very good at math. But if I divide that. it comes to ONE officer for every 462 people in the city of Flint.
Now Amherst NY has 117000 people and they have 154 officers that is one for evey 760. Amherst NY is one o the safest cities in the US. NOw this may seem wrong. But do the math for me. I'm coming up with 40% more officers in Flint per population that the safest city in the US. Something is terribly wrong.

Also, if we accept the numbers the City has been giving about Number of Calls and arrests and crime we would then be living in a city where almost ONE THIRD of the people living here are Criminals or breaking the law. That is a scary thought.

If Amherst NY had the same population we have. They would only need 165 officers. So yes we have 40 percent more officers per capita.

So what do you think now?
Post Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:59 pm 
rapunzel

I have conflicting counts. 252 officers + Kettering. Then after Josh asked questions it was stated 243 officers plus 3 in the academy.

After that we had retirements of community police.

We can not compare apples and oranges. This city and any other of equal or lesser size.

We have murder everywhere! Yes, the police dept. needs restructuring but we need more right now! Then weed out the bad.

One thing for sure we can not have less officers right now!
Post Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:22 am 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

According to the last posted count. The last one reported by the Flint Journal and the Federal Government. It was 271. But you are correct. I'm sure that number is lower with all the police that have been arrestted since that number was given.

http://www.cityofflint.net/i'm_eating_my_yogurt!.htm
http://www.cityofflint.net/abc_12_interview.htm
http://www.cityofflint.net/another_one.htm
http://www.cityofflint.net/Conspiracy_of_silence.htm

Just go back and read any of my postings about police activities and respones. Then tell me with a straight face. We need more officers?
I'll bet you can't do it. If you can you must think I'm lying?

Next time you talk to the Police Cheif. Ask him how many officers and how much time the officers wasting harassing or BSing with the mechanics that are working on the Flint Police Cars? Or ask him how many they've tried to arrest in the last month? For test driving the cars? When two officers have over an hour to waste during their patrols. instead of taking and repsonding to calls. We obviuously have too many offics if they have that kind of time to waste. If he asks or looks like he doesn't know what your talking about. Just mention officer Tyrone. He does know.
Post Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:03 am 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: