FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Just Say No to Flint Proposition 2
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
terrybankert
F L I N T O I D

Flint Voters and community leaders!
2006-01-14 07:13:25
Flint MI USA Voters "JUST SAY NO" In special election Feb. 2006

WHAT IS ACCOUNTABILITY WORTH TO YOU?
Join us in the effort to retain the Flint Ombudsmans office by a NO vote on proposition on February 28th 2006 in Flint MI USA

OMBUDSMAN CASE STATEMENT
Is it in your interest to retain the Flint Ombudsman office or vote
to eliminate it? We answer retain the office by voting No on Proposal 2!

In February 2006 a police milage renewal is on the ballot in Flint MI USA. A yes vote will retain the police millage. On the ballot also is a question which if answered yes will eliminate the Flint Ombudsman office.

In Flint MI U.S.A. , a city teetering on bankruptcy, one of the
highest crime rates in America, has an office, Ombudsman, in its
charter to monitor police excessive force , other governmental
abuses and to report to the community creating pressure for
accountability and positive change.

Predictably a "war on crime" will occur in Flint . Some would
argue historically this ends up being a war on young and poor, black and white people. This Ombudsman office has been dormant for 10 years but it
is in the charter. My question to the community is: Is it in your
interest to retain the Flint Ombudsman office or vote to eliminate
it?

Our answer is yes. Join us to learn about the issue or assist in the campaign to retain the office.

BALLOT
TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 28, 2006
CITY OF FLINT
PROPOSAL 2
Shall the Flint City Charter be amended by deleting sec. 3-501 through sec. 3-517 which currently provides for the Office of Ombudsman for the City of Flint?

[]YES
[x]NO

Please join this site or bookmark to follow our efforts. Consider posting your thoughts on why the Ombudsmans office should be retained or how you can help.

Sincerely
Terry Bankert 01/19/2006

Join with us.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flintcitizen/

Last edited by terrybankert on Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:08 am; edited 2 times in total
Post Sat Jan 14, 2006 7:02 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Two things. One, We shouldn't need a additional Milage to fund police in this city. The amount of Police we currently have should be funded out of the regular city taxes. Milages should be for special progarms for building funds. That should at some time come to an end. Not be set up so that the city prey on peoples fears. I'm still ticked that all this time I've lived here, I've not paid attention to what has been happening. Then all of a sudden two months before the renewal. We start to see police on the streets on the Eastside. Yet we've had this additional tax on us for "HOW LONG?" What is it a milage that needs to be renewed every three months in order to get the service that it is supposedly paying for?

I would tend to agree with you on their wording of the Ombudsman issue. They want it to fail. This only fits what I've been saying about this administration for the last year. They have been "Playing" the city since they got control back. Between the City and the current City Council. I find so little that they have done that is in the BEST INTEREST of FLINT. From purchasing to processes. Anything to they can do to undermind the people of Flint being involved in the process. Or as with the Ombudsman Office, no way to get any resolution when citizens are wronged by city government or services are not provided.

A side note: If we had a news media really involved in reporting facts and In depth stories about what is going on. They could persuade government to work for the people. The Urnial and local TV seem to focused on national news and local reporting is blah zey at best. If they reported more of what is going on. And people called thier elected officials. We might not need the ombudsman. But, we sure could really use one that actually does the Job!
Post Sat Jan 14, 2006 7:44 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
terrybankert
F L I N T O I D

Flint MI USA Voters "JUST SAY NO" In special election Feb. 2006

PRESS RELEASE
who: Terry Bankert
what: Creation of a committee to support the ombudsmans office.
When: press availability Sat 1/14/06 noon to 2 pm in the Law office of Terry Bankert 1000 Beach St., Flint MI 48503 810.235.1970
1. In conversation with Inez Brown, ( 1/13/206)Flint City Clerk, I learned the following.
1. The City Attorney drafted the charter amendment question on the Ombudsman Office. The Michigan attorney General and then the Governor approved it.
2. I was told that a voter will vote yes to get rid of the office and no to keep it.[ I will see the language next week]

The pro police milage group will be promoting a Yes vote. To keep the ombudsman office supporters will have to promote a no vote.

The voters will become confused.

The JUST VOTE NO message may keep the ombudsmans office but hurt the police milage. This is intentional. The pro milage group is highly organized and will be promoting a yes vote!
I am announcing the creation of a Flint Citizen Ombudsman Advocacy Committee to promote the just vote NO theme. We will be internet and public speaking.

JOIN THIS EFFORT TODAY!!

The public is invited to join:

I will be available for press comment in my office 1000 Beach ST. Flint MI 810.235.1970 on Saturday 1/14/06 from noon to 2 pm.
Terry Bankert 01/14/06
http://enewsblog.com/terrybankert/
attorneybankert@yahoo.com
call: 810.235.1970fax 2345-5080

I will post and discuss these issues at:
http://www.flinttalk.com/viewforum.php?f=2
Post Sat Jan 14, 2006 8:05 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Count me in, But, not at the meeting. If there is something I can do when I'm not at work or school just let me know. If you make up signs, Tell me how much to help defray the costs.
Post Sat Jan 14, 2006 9:20 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
terrybankert
F L I N T O I D

Meeting 1/14/06 Excellent start. We need more people to help.

JOIN THIS EFFORT TODAY!!

The public is invited to join:

Campaing communication will be based in the Flint Citizen e group above.

Post your thoughts and comments to campaing plan there . I will bring issues to Flint Talk

Terry Bankert
Post Sat Jan 14, 2006 1:48 pm 
Adam Ford

I see the forum is moderated. Why do we even need an Obudsman? TO make up for an incompetent City government? Doesn't the Ombudsman make like $100,000 a year? I think that is way too much. I do feel we need a more stremlined governemt and this seems like an easy way to start.
Post Sat Jan 14, 2006 6:54 pm 
rapunzel

I am SICK of deceptive ballot wording! No means yes, yes means no. I have been waiting since before x-mas for the clerks office to release the language. I know it was sent to the Govenor for approval.

There has been other ballots where language was deceptive. Why do they have to confuse the few voters that do turn out! Michigan Civil Rights Intiative is actually anti-affirmative action.

On the Ombudsman issue Terry wrote 3 excellent articles. There is a link somewhere on the website to the Uncommon Sense where you can view this article.

There will be a debate on Feb.23, 7-9 pm at the International Institute discussing the Ombudsman. It is still in planning stages. I will post the information here when it is finalized.

I have also heard of a forum regarding the COPS millage that I am not sure of the format. I have heard from a concerned Pastor that it will be at Antioch Baptist Church, January 24 at noon. I will update when I also get that info confirmed.
Post Sat Jan 14, 2006 11:35 pm 
rapunzel

NOTE: I copied this article from the Journal and pasted here before it becomes archived....RAP

Much discussion over ombudsman post should take place before election
IF YOU ASK ME
FLINT
THE FLINT JOURNAL FIRST EDITION
Sunday, January 08, 2006
By Terry Bankert
JOURNAL READER
A consensus opinion of the current Flint City Council is "let the voters decide" if the troubled ombudsman's office, the only specifically designed place for residents to complain about city services, is needed.
But our political "professionals," not voters, have organized a sure election failure for the watchdog office without subjecting themselves to real public opinion, let alone debate on this issue. It's obvious that only Flint's residents can prompt such a discussion about the ombudsman's future, if given a chance.
Yes, for seven years this office has been ineffective, for the full term of the current ombudsman. And yes, it is responsible behavior to review its need.
But my observation is that the very people intended to be held accountable by the ombudsman's office have ultimately orchestrated its demise, beginning with the appointment of the office's present occupant, Jessie Binion.
There's more. Consider, for example, that the ombudsman's office has been most effective when it addressed police accountability. Factor this in with the decision to schedule the vote for the survival of the ombudsman at the same time as one on a police millage renewal. Both will be on the Feb. 28 ballot. Unique elections have unique voter mixes. Therefore, the pro-police-enforcement voter will also be deciding if the office whose purpose of governmental accountability - including monitoring police department activities - survives. How ironic!
Flint's current City Charter adopted in 1974 opened up government. It gave citizens interested in the effective and ethical conduct of city business two tools: the office of ombudsman and the Standards of Conduct Board.
The ombudsman is a city official appointed by a two-thirds vote of the City Council for a nonrenewable term of seven years. The office is intended to check bad or unfair practices in the city administration and can only seek information on the "failure of City services or suspected misconduct."
An ombudsman is often called a citizens "watchdog." The person holding this office is given broad subpoena and investigatory powers to follow up on and attempt to prove or disprove complaints by citizens that the city is not serving properly, or that the powers and rights of the city are being abused. It is important that this official be far removed from political influence and other pressures so that he or she can pursue citizen complaints with unquestioned integrity.
I argue that this office is cost effective when measured against the value of accountability. An effective ombudsman, trusted by the community, would have been a great value prior to, during and after the state receivership that was imposed to manage Flint finances a few years ago.
The greatest return on investment for the voters would have been for a truly independent ombudsman office to have been operating, investigating and issuing reports during this era. Our elected leaders let us down, partly by the incumbent before and during her illness, and the council that put her there specifically to diminish the office. The council further allowed the office to founder during her illness.
With that regrettable recent history, the community now must decide if the office will continue. But before the vote, all community leaders must raise their voices on this question.
While I think the ombudsman office was an important part of the 1974 City Charter and properly functioning can be effective, I am not suggesting how to vote on whether to retain it. I'm only saying that our community has a serious need for community discussion on keeping this position.
Terry Bankert, an attorney, is a former Flint ombudsman and Flint city clerk.
Post Sun Jan 15, 2006 12:15 am 
terrybankert
F L I N T O I D

I have posted a 45 day campaing plan at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flintcitizen/

I have volunteered to be a speaker at the Public affairs/league of women voters debate. 2/23

Please share your thoughts. This type of effort is new ground.

Who can do what, when, and how can we help.

I need email address for Flint residents. Adam can you help with this.
I need speakers at every public meeting in FLint between now and the Feb election Ted can you help here.

I need several variation of a case statement for different types of groups. Rapunzell can you help here.

We need more volunteers- WHo can we get on this project.

A political campaign is a dictatorship made to look like a democracy. The egroup is moderated is has to be.

WHat can I do to better aim this project. We were out of time two weeks ago we have to act and act now.

WHat we do here can be a template for our next issue!

Thank you -Terry Bankert
Post Sun Jan 15, 2006 7:38 am 
Josh Freeman
F L I N T O I D

quote:
terrybankert schreef:
I have posted a 45 day campaing plan at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flintcitizen/

I have volunteered to be a speaker at the Public affairs/league of women voters debate. 2/23

I need speakers at every public meeting in FLint between now and the Feb election Ted can you help here.

I need several variation of a case statement for different types of groups. Rapunzell can you help here.

A political campaign is a dictatorship made to look like a democracy. The egroup is moderated is has to be.

WHat can I do to better aim this project. We were out of time two weeks ago we have to act and act now.

Thank you -Terry Bankert

I will try to round up some speakers for the Council Meetings to speak in favor of the Vote No cause....

What do you need the volunteers for... let me know what you need them to do and I will try to help with that

Josh Freeman
Post Sun Jan 15, 2006 12:52 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address  Reply with quote  
terrybankert
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Josh Freeman schreef:
quote:
terrybankert schreef:

Thank you -Terry Bankert

I will try to round up some speakers for the Council Meetings to speak in favor of the Vote No cause....

What do you need the volunteers for... let me know what you need them to do and I will try to help with that

Josh Freeman

Thank you.
1. sign up at egroup http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flintcitizen/
2. Break up into cells to address
a.Flint City council
b. Community organizations, block clubs , crime watches, community organizations.
c. graphic artist to desigh several flyers that we can post on Flintcitizen volunteers can run off on home computers to distribute at meetings, to friends around their home, and door to door.
d. letter to the editor, Flint Journal, Uncommon sense, Flint Enquirer, CPA courier
e. callers to radio programs ie Dave Barber
f. Home made yard signs to promote the no vote 25 volunteers to make 20 signs apiece. I will donate 100 wires
g.volunteers to approach any organization that they belong to endorce and help promote the NO vote..
h. Invite other email address to Flintcitizen or email them to attorneybankert@yahoo.com and I will invite them
i. A committee treasurer beyond reproach
j.get creative this is new ground

your thoughts

Terry Bankert
note: We are transparent
Post Sun Jan 15, 2006 1:12 pm 
Adam Ford

In regard to email addresses I am interested in this. The Genesee county Republicans should have a pretty good database but I am having difficulties with them. I did notice Josh Freeman is a Democratic precinct delegate though. I wonder if the Flint Democrats would help with this cause. I do feel that we should get an email databese going though for whatever issue if we are going to raise political issues. Would you like the emails of the councilpeople? I can easily get those. In addition are you willing to speak at the council meeting Terry? I think it would be wonderful if we could get some speakers going. Personally I may vote to eliminate the Ombudsman because I think the mayor and council and city workers need to take responsibility and not have someone else do it for them but I am definately pro-political action.

I also pulled up the list of all democratic and republican precinct delegates if you wanted to do a small mail campaign. This city is very short on delegates. I think WE SHOULD ALL SIGN UP TO BE PRESINCT DELEGATES!!! Although I think we should focus on modern technology we should not forget about old school rules. Perhaps josh Freeman could get some Democratic delegates to speak on this? I'm having trouble working with Republican leadership to organize anything as of yet.

Perhaps if we got things going Josh Freeman or someone could coordinate the Democrats and I could coordinate the Flint Republicans. This doesn't matter for local issues like this but when we get into state and national elections it would be nice if we got things going in Flint.

webmaster@mysearchisover.com
Post Sun Jan 15, 2006 1:51 pm 

quote:
Adam Ford schreef:
In regard to email addresses I am interested in this. The Genesee county Republicans should have a pretty good database but I am having difficulties with them. I did notice Josh Freeman is a Democratic precinct delegate though. I wonder if the Flint Democrats would help with this cause. I do feel that we should get an email databese going though for whatever issue if we are going to raise political issues. Would you like the emails of the councilpeople? I can easily get those. In addition are you willing to speak at the council meeting Terry? I think it would be wonderful if we could get some speakers going. Personally I may vote to eliminate the Ombudsman because I think the mayor and council and city workers need to take responsibility and not have someone else do it for them but I am definately pro-political action.

I also pulled up the list of all democratic and republican precinct delegates if you wanted to do a small mail campaign. This city is very short on delegates. I think WE SHOULD ALL SIGN UP TO BE PRESINCT DELEGATES!!! Although I think we should focus on modern technology we should not forget about old school rules. Perhaps josh Freeman could get some Democratic delegates to speak on this? I'm having trouble working with Republican leadership to organize anything as of yet.

Perhaps if we got things going Josh Freeman or someone could coordinate the Democrats and I could coordinate the Flint Republicans. This doesn't matter for local issues like this but when we get into state and national elections it would be nice if we got things going in Flint.

quote:
Adam Ford schreef:
In regard to email addresses I am interested in this. The Genesee county Republicans should have a pretty good database but I am having difficulties with them. I did notice Josh Freeman is a Democratic precinct delegate though. I wonder if the Flint Democrats would help with this cause.

TRB My guess is that they will stay out of it.

I do feel that we should get an email databese going though for whatever issue if we are going to raise political issues.

trb-I agree

Would you like the emails of the councilpeople? I can easily get those.

trb - al the elected officals in one spot would help me.

In addition are you willing to speak at the council meeting Terry? I think it would be wonderful if we could get some speakers going.

trb- Freeman said he will organize those speakers. I may closer to the election

Personally I may vote to eliminate the Ombudsman because I think the mayor and council and city workers need to take responsibility and not have someone else do it for them but I am definately pro-political action.

trb-We can agree to disagree

I also pulled up the list of all democratic and republican precinct delegates if you wanted to do a small mail campaign.

trb- Are those on line

ALL SIGN UP TO BE PRESINCT DELEGATES!!!

trb- I agree

Although I think we should focus on modern technology we should not forget about old school rules. Perhaps josh Freeman could get some Democratic delegates to speak on this? I'm having trouble working with Republican leadership to organize anything as of yet.

trb- I agree

I have spent 8 hrs on this this week end, held a meeting, did press releases, started an egroup and invited 100 people to it.

Lets all start some action, no approvals needed under your own name. This is like internet gurella political combat but we will need volunteers on voters door steps. I'm done for this weekend. Terry

Post Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:18 pm 
rapunzel

"I need several variation of a case statement for different types of groups. Rapunzell can you help here."
The newsletter for couple groups just went out. I can include something in the beginning of Feb.

Terry, I am not totally understanding what you are suggesting. You have my home email. I want to include the factual wording on the ballot, which I should recieve a fax next week as soon as the clerks office receives it.

I want the job description from the charter and probable cost of the office.

Correct? remember I have to give non-partisan facts. Not my personal opinion. I have meetings Tuesday ,Wednesday,Thursday and Friday in which to share info. Busy week!
Post Sun Jan 15, 2006 8:31 pm 
Josh Freeman
F L I N T O I D

I forgot that I had bought a list of likely voters for the 4th Ward when I was running for Council.... Along with addresses, that list included phone numbers...... I am willing to donate that to the group.... Also, if someone is willing to design flyers... I will hand those out to the Crime Watch meetings that I still attend in the Fourth Ward....

Potter Crime Watch meets tomorrow night, third Monday of the month at 7:00 pm at the fires station on Western Rd.... I'll be attending this one....

Washington School Crime Watch meets Wednesday at 6:00 pm at Brown's Funeral Home, the third Wednesday of every month.... I won't be able to attend this meeting because of another engagement ..... Anyone else?

Arlington Heights Community Association will meet on Thursday at St. Marys on Franklin, every third Thursday of the month at 7:00pm.. I'll be attending this meeting....

That is all of the organized block clubs/crime watches in my Ward.... Not quite sure about the rest of the City, Mott Park, College Cultural Area...
Post Sun Jan 15, 2006 8:49 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address  Reply with quote  

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: