FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Internet Creates Local Political Movements
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic

BY
1.educating ourselves
2.educating others
3,encouraging others to become active, being active ourselves
4,attend some show up events
5.erect as big of tent as we can and invite as many as we can into it.

Build a coalition of Flint activists that factually challenge and strongly advocate issues. Nobody has to lead...

But information is needed, why lose the base of information that prior council people have..

why not let others with information to share ,share it here..pick an issue..

I have heard crime and charter revision today...what should we do here with these issue?

I am starting with crime.

What can be done today , tomorrow, next week , next year to reduce crime in Flint.

What can the city do in this budget year, next budget year, the budgets for the next two years to reduce crime?

What other public and private actors can be brought in to build consensus and action . For instatnce the Flint Boatd of Education, Genesee County, the foundations, the non profits, the NBh grouops, the crime watches...

Nobody has to be incharge, we can act in unison, we do not have to agree, Our actions will cause others to act...

Your thoughts
-----end-----
Post Tue Dec 27, 2005 5:30 pm 
Ted Jankowski

You must have been reading my mind. Although I didn't want to be too pushy. Even though that's what 'm best at.
quote:
am starting with crime.
What can be done today , tomorrow, next week , next year to reduce crime in Flint.
What can the city do in this budget year, next budget year, the budgets for the next two years to reduce crime?

I was talking to a local pawn shop today. We were discussing the hold/waiting period on pawns. they told me that they have to send in their information every week. However, when a police officer finally follows up on something it is usually almost two years later. They have never contacted them about items that where just pawned. I don't see why Civilian volunteers cannot be apart of the investigations. When someone’s home is broken into. A report is made. That is the extent of what the Police dept does. They don't do any investigation, no follow up. (I'm talking about Flint no other dept. Other depts. in the area actually follow up and investigate Burton, County, State)) The civilian volunteers wouldn't be going out and doing interviews and investigation. They would be scanning reports. Watching for pawn items that had just been stolen that appear in the pawn shops. The information is there. Just no one uses it. BTW that is one of my OLD OLD ideas. It would basically be a few people that volunteer to do this. It's more of a response than what has been happening which is for the report to be filed and never seen again.

quote:
How do you get the community to look past what people are saying and demand accountability from community leaders?
Nest to crime this is my next major issue. Thus the reason I cannot turn a blind eye and let stupidity of many of the decisions go without criticism. Tax dollars are MY DOLLARS too! I am so frustrated with the waste we have already seen with the new council. Police Vehicles and Garbage trucks. Then the reason they use to support their opinions are even based in Facts. I can agree to disagree. But when a vote is cast because of lazy information gathering. Because they didn’t bother to do five minutes of their own research, and take everything that comes out of Don’s mouth as gospel. I become a bit upset. Especially when it is so outrageous to begin with, that it is obvious that something doesn’t jive. I wouldn’t be so critical if the arguments they give at least hold water. But they are flat out wrong. So I will try to keep those comments in another thread.
Post Tue Dec 27, 2005 9:33 pm 
Ted Jankowski

Hey, we need to ge together and come up with something solid.
Figure out a game plan.
How to message out
Solutions to crime
Form an organisation

Terry seems to be the most qualified to lead but doesn't have the time. If he is not willing to lead, some one on one guidence would still be neccessary.

I can tell Adam is ready. Possibly Rap.. We may be able to drag Josh in. That's five. I might be able to latch on to a few more.
Saying this, FYI I would want to concentrate in this group to focus on the Crime and solutions, how to petition government. Lobby, Meetings with elected officials etc. I would not be Pounding on the Mayor and Council in case anyone was worried. LOL
I would think we could meet at the White horse one night just to get a feel for wether we think we could make a go of it.
Mondays are out for me in the evenings. As I'm back in College and that's a school night. Any other ideas.
Post Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:29 pm 
Adam Ford

I'm Game

Adam Ford
(810)-869-1156
webmaster@mysearchisover.com
http://mysearchisover.com
Post Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:54 pm 
Adam Ford

I think we should try and get this going! I am game for a meeting. It sounds like Freeman would join as well as you two. We have to start somewhere. Why not start with the four of us and then bring more people in? Also do not worry about the insecure posting on this. Steve Myers will delete a post if it is not you. We could also start signing in instead of being guest. I will try and metion FlintTalk.com at the city council meeting tonight. I emailed a council person about it but I'm not sure they use the internet very much. Personally I feel this city should look to the new Internet Industry for salvation anyways. It's hard to become a leader in anything in business while by being outdated unless you're someone like Warren Buffet but even he is smart enough to hire people who are not outdated.

Adam Ford
(810)-869-1156
webmaster@mysearchisover.com
Post Mon Jan 09, 2006 1:03 pm 
Ted Jankowski

Well all we need is for Terry and Rapunzall to check in and Give Josh a call to see if he is interested. I'm pretty easy to contact. I'll try to work up an outline of topics to cover. Then try to post it here before we actually meet and see if it covers everything.
Post Mon Jan 09, 2006 2:00 pm 
rapunzel

Sorry Guys,
I have more meetings coming up than any unemployed person in the state of MI! We can get alot done via the internet visit other websites and get more people involved. We have many crime watches in the area now, they are siloistic. My current goal is to increase communications between all the crime watches. Share information!

Mr. Ford did mention Flint talk .com tonight at council and that is a first step. I also have the agenda I will drop off to Jerry when I return his tapes.
Thank you, jerry.

Alan you need to make better use of your time when you speak. Talking about school issues at City Council is pointless! They are also siloistic,
in the future maybe they can work together as it is right now you are wasting air and your 5 minutes.

Amazing tonight,a group of people talking together came from two different groups I have dealt with. People are sharing Information!

I posted an abridged version of the crime task very preliminary recommendations on mlive. I am pretty sure the news will publish a more detailed article we can post here.

Alan, have you heard of the Hispanic Tech Center? 2101 Lewis st. ph.424-3760 hours m-f 9:30 am -6:30 pm. Ismael Bermudez coordinates an outreach of Mott and teaches children how to create websites. They put together and maintain the FEWS website. You could volunteer there. www.pilaresaltos.org I think you want to forward your own so that may not be of help. I would encourage you to check it out as leadership has a tendancy for change. Please, work with some kids before you think you can. You may be beneficial to some community works before you benefit yourself.
Post Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:59 am 
rapunzel

To repeat the words of a guest, to enlist change this is our charge....

1.educating ourselves
2.educating others

Build a coalition of Flint activists that factually challenge and strongly advocate issues. Nobody has to lead...

But information is needed, why lose the base of information that prior council people have..

Couldn't have said it better myself.
Post Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:20 am 
terrybankert
F L I N T O I D

quote:
rapunzel schreef:
To repeat the words of a guest, to enlist change this is our charge....

1.educating ourselves
2.educating others

Couldn't have said it better myself.

count me in-Bankert

1.educating ourselves -I'll take council rules, charter compliance, code compliance,promulgated rules and procedure, open meeting act, freedom of information act. My focused issue will be crime reduction what can Flint do...
2.educating others ,I will write and speak on these issues, could do a worshop
3,encouraging others to become active, being active ourselves . I'll recruit others to this forum, but it is not a chat room...
4,attend some show up events I'll attend nbh functions, community function and talk about this effort..
5.erect as big of tent as we can and invite as many as we can into it. I agree

I am for keeping this internet driven except for our show ups, Fint city council meeting, community events. We could talk at events but our strength is here combined with our individual actions...

Some one should be charged with helping us keep focused? A historian etc...Or we adopt a process to do just that.

There may be a need for a meeting but only for the purpose of focus. I don't do business in a bar, nor have ever joined the white horse crowd. We could use my conference room on a sat morn 9-11.

But again, I don't want to be in charge, If we are factually based not attacking personalities ,issues driven and each maintain our personal autonomy count me in.WE DO NOT HAVE TO AGREE Its the process thats important. If we can raise the quality of issue debate we win. if we can cause more people to become involved in Flint affairs we win.

Terry Bankert 1/10/06
Post Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:06 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Sorry guys, I'm still hooked on trying to get a group together to work on crime issues. The other stuff I wouldn't mind being a part of. I just finished a 4 page letter to the council about their recent purchases. I was going to email it to them. But most of the Council doesn't even have email or contact information available yet on the City of Flint website. It appears the council now doesn't want more professionals involved at the meetings. They have moved the meetings up to 5:00PM. Quitting time for most professionals. They won't be able to sign up to speak. I vow to (on the first day I have available) to go down there. I will have to take time off work in order to go. This is what frustrates me most. Our officials say they want community involvement. But, go out of there way to make it difficult to be involved. Thus I'm buying a roll of stamps. I've got a lot of writing to do.

I also called in to Kildee's office. To see if they had discussed my proposal yet for "Law Enforcement Funding for High Crime Cities" I should be hearing something back in the next week or so. I'll keep you updated. But I would like to present the idea as a forum or a group. All those in favor say "I" but what would we call our group?
This is why I would want to meet and form an organization. Not just Ted Jankowski trying to take on Government. But, as a group of concerned citizens from high crime areas.

Sure, my shoulders are big enough to do it myself. But, we’ve got legal advise and experience with government, a concerned mother, high energy activist, and myself who just doesn’t quit. Plus, it has more weight if more people are involved.

I like the Tent Idea. Homedale has plenty of room. Or where you speaking figuratively?
Post Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:41 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Adam Ford

Rapunzel,
It's unfortunate that you are too busy to meet with us but don't you go to the council meetings? Could I talk to you for 5 minutes before the meeting. Thank you for suggesting the tech center. The Block group organizer also told me about that but you definately gave much more info. It's amazing how much stuff there is in Flint that most people don't know about. You don't think I should talk about schools at the council meeting? I realize the council does not have much if anything to do with the schools but I was hoping to hit a chord with some parents but I don't think I did. In addition I am also slightly trying to recruit. I thought my speech would be better but it didn't turn out as well as I thought it would. I think next time I might write it down. Can I any volunteers to read it beforehand? I was hoping to partner with the Flint schools but I think that appears to be a total failure. I may still try and do some recruiting at Flint schools though.

Adam Ford
Post Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:39 pm 
terrybankert
F L I N T O I D

We can meet in my office Sat 01/14/2006 noon to 2 pm if there is an interest?
Post Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:16 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Terry,
Your office would be great. I'm just stuck at work from 7:00 AM until 5:pm on Saturdays. Sunday is my only day off. I'm usually vailable later in the evenings. When everybody else with family's are spending time with them. Since I live alone I have plenty of time in the evenings. Except on Monday which is a school Night and I'm at Baker.
Post Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:21 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
terrybankert
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Ted Jankowski schreef:
Terry,
Your office would be great. I'm just stuck at work from 7:00 AM until 5:pm on Saturdays. Sunday is my only day off. I'm usually vailable later in the evenings. When everybody else with family's are spending time with them. Since I live alone I have plenty of time in the evenings. Except on Monday which is a school Night and I'm at Baker.

There will be no best time. We can run the meeting in the chat room. I,ll log on. I can put three computers on line in my office. We could run the entire meeting on line in this forum. I will post a new topic and we can do it there some real time some not. Any thoughts. I think its workable. Remember, we are transparent and factually based it does not matter who knows and the more the better. We can meet when we have a "show up" ie council meeting or another event... any thought ?- terry Bankert
Post Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:49 am 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Lots of thoughts, How about a name for the group?

When I contact keldee's office again I would like to have a plan.
Things that should be included in a bill and some research behind it. So as to provide funds for in a Bill.

Such as:
How much does it cost to build onto a jail to add cells?
How many officers would be needed to house them?
Money for the state to increase prison size?
Money for crime prevention programs that WORK!!
LoJack, COMSTAT, a Pawn shop item registration process (Software etc.) Police vehicle video cameras, More officers, Drug dogs, etc.
How much each one would cost and to operate. Listed as items that the Bill would fund. Not to city or states general funds to be wasted by politicians. (I'm fighting to keep from mentioning something on this thought)
(I don't want to see these funds wasted like so much of the Homeland security funds were.)
Possibly even lobby the state for sentencing guidelines. Your an attorney. I'm sure you've seen where criminals are continuously been slapped on the wrist and given probation on top of probation with more community service double probation and triple dare probation. Mostly because of lack of room in the jail or Prisons.
Offense: Weapons - Firearms - Possession by Felon Minimum Sentence: 1 year 6 Months 0 days
MCL#: 750.224F Maximum Sentence: 5 years 0 months WHAT A JOKE!! Should have been Minimum sentence 5 years.
Weapons - Felony Firearms Minimum Sentence: 2 years 0 months 0 days MCL#: 750.227BA Maximum Sentence: 2 years 0 months Again WAY WAY TOO LIGHT A SENTENCE!! The person I'm referencing here the police knew he stole the weapons, knew he was a felon, but refused to do anything until he used the weapon in:
Offense: Home Invasion - 1st Degree Minimum Sentence: 13 years 4 months 0 days
MCL#: 750.110A2 Maximum Sentence: 20 years 0 months
Offense: Criminal Sexual Conduct, 1st Deg (Weapon Used) Minimum Sentence: LIFE
MCL#: 750.520B1E Maximum Sentence: LIFE
Offense: Criminal Sexual Conduct, 1st Deg (Weapon Used) Minimum Sentence: LIFE
MCL#: 750.520B1E Maximum Sentence: LIFE
Offense: Robbery Armed Minimum Sentence: 37 years 6 months 0 days
MCL#: 750.529 Maximum Sentence: 66 years 8 months
Offense: Robbery Armed - Conspiracy Minimum Sentence: 37 years 6 months 0 days
MCL#: 750.529 Maximum Sentence: 66 years 8 months
I WOULD LIKE TO BELIEVE they didn't do anything because the they figured even if they did do something. He wouldn't have been taken off the street very long. MAX 10 years. probably 2 actually served.
Maybe cities like flint need the State or Federal government to come in and appoint a police chief in order to make things happen. As long a it doesn't turn into another Kurtz Fiasco. Come in and punish the whistle blowers and then make a few political pays offs, then follow the plan given to him by the whistle blowers.
Say work up the Bill as a 500,000,000 a year budget for the top 15 highest crime rated cities. I would have to assume that these cities cannot manage their resources properly or they wouldn't have gotten into the problem they already have. Therefore funds should be a pick and choose approved programs.
I'll tell you this. the more we write the clearer these thoughts get.
Someone mentioned in another forum. That we spend more on housing and taking care of our slim of society than we do on educating our children. I really don’t want to believe that. But if it’s true. I would think that would be an excellent tool in also find funds for federal scholarships. This might be something you and sit down together and go over.
Post Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:01 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: