FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Open chat

Topic: Flint Public Swimming Pools?

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Tegan
F L I N T O I D

So... if there are any, where are Flint's public swimming pools? Flint has 62 city parks, so I assume there is at least one pool. The city's parks and recreation page is a little... well... its not as easy to find information on there as it is for other cities.

I know it's an odd question, but humor me.

Icing on the cake would be how old the pool is.

Thanks!

Tegan

PS - this goes with Flint's problem of lack of communication. I didn't know there was a peace rally at First Presbyterian, I can't find Flint's public swimming pools, and lord knows what else I'm missing out on.
Post Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:39 pm 
FindingPneumo

I'm not sure about any city swimming pools, but I can attest to the fact that the City of Flint has one of the best, most informative city-run website I have ever seen. It is amazing the amount of information that is located on there. I to would be interested, however, to find out if Flint has any public swimming pools.

Post Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:07 pm 
Tegan
F L I N T O I D

You're right. I really shouldn't pick on the city's website. I haven't used it that much except for information on city parks, and I imagine its hard to include info on 62 parks all at once. But maybe a little more information on the big parks and their features, like Berston Park and Field House, Kearsley Park, etc.

It's been suggested to me that perhaps Flint's kids just use the pools at the area high schools or colleges during their summer public hours too.
Post Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:45 pm 
jacksonmin@aol.com

There are at least eight indoor pools in the City. Four of them are at the four high schools - and are virtually unused summers and after school hours. Most of them are barely used during school. There are also pools at UM-Flint / at Mott CC and at the two Y's.
There are additional city pools that have fallen into disrepair.
The least expensive way to serve ALL the citizens of Flint -- in their own area of the city -- is for the City Parks & Recreation Dept to run swim programs in the schools -- and/or in the college and YM / YW pools. We certainly don't need to build pools -- and, especially, not outdoor pools when they can only be used for a few weeks per year.

We explored the idea when I was a City Councilperson, found it to be cost-effective and within our budgetary limits -- but the Administration just would not put the idea into effect. I happen to believe that we should strive to teach swimming to as many kids (and adults) as possible -- for safety reasons as well as for fitness & recreation.
Jack Minore
Post Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:17 pm 
Tegan
F L I N T O I D

I was always taught in school that its important for all children, ESPECIALLY in Michigan, to learn to swim and be comfortable in water because all of the waterways in the state. Plus, it's a lot of fun and good exercise. It would really be an asset to the city to implement some kind of swimming programs.

Thanks for answering my question. I'm doing a school project on the old Kearsley Park Swimming Pool / Pavilion and was curious about current swimming facilities.

I'm also curious about whether swimming competitions were ever held at Kearsley Park, if anyone happens to know.
Post Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:25 pm 
jacksonmin

I certainly agree that everyone should learn to swim
The KP pool was a round one -- architechturaly lovely -- but not at all suited to competitive meets. My kids may have swam there occassionally, but they took their life-saving classes at Central.

We had many questions about restoring the KP pool -- especially during the beginning of the KP re-deveopment project. But -- about the time the old pool was torn down, Central's (then) new pool was being built. Within walking distance of KP we have Central, Mott CC, the YMCA, the YWCA and the UM-Flint pools. So re-building the KP pool, while popular with the neighborhood, was never really considered.

We also have city pools at Kennedy & Williams schools -- and an Olympic size pool (Broome) in a park off Atherton Road. All of these are in dis-repair and have not been used in several year.
Post Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:24 am 
Tegan
F L I N T O I D

Ah ha. Thanks! I didn't think competitive swimming. The only reason I ask is because Richard Kagerer of the parks department contacted Wesley Bintz, the pool's architect in the 1960s asking whether modifying the pool was possible. Bintz said it was an gave a rough quote, but I figured the board went in a different direction.

No, it wouldn't make sense to restore the Kearsley Park Pool. Today, Wesley Bintz pools cost around $2-3 million dollars to restore and $100,000 a year to maintain.

But I'm glad the pavilion is still there.
Post Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:41 pm 
Dive N. Bored

There are a few problems with having a public swimming pool.

One problem is the insurance burdon.

Another, and possibly bigger problem, is the fact many of the people who would use the pool are not "brightly-witted."

The same people who trash their own homes and neighborhoods do the same thing, right now, to other public facilities. Pools will not be imune.

These are also the same people who would be likely to sue the city due to an accident that they themselves caused.

It would be great if kids have activities they could take part in all year long.

Then again, it would also be great if parents taught their litters to have respect for others and other people's property.

Wait a minute! How can a grown animal teach something it never learned itself?

Can't happen.
Post Sat Mar 31, 2007 1:49 pm 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

I think some of the community centers also have closed swimming pools. I'm surprised all our highschools have swimming pools. Only a few schools in the Big 9 have swimming pools. I think Berston Fieldhouse also has a closed down sauna to go along with the antique weight room but they are running a boxing program
Although we do have lower education and poorer people. If you compare Flint to cities like Davison the equipment in Davison is typically deacdes newer. I've never even seen some of the old equipment that Flint has. When I went to Berston's weight room I wondered if they had added any new equipment since segregation ended. I had never seen some of the equipment they have there and I have worked out at a lot of places. [url]
http://www.cityofflint.com/parks/neighborhood_parks.asp[/url] Has parks info.

Post Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:43 pm 

The Mott Pool closed in December, 2006. It doesn't surprise me that people here are unaware, the closing was done without fanfare and without public input. I find it repugnant that a public community college can demolish a facility like Durham without notifying and listening to the community that paid for it. And typical that even the movers and shakers on this board are unaware of the fact 4 months later. Shhhh, let's keep it a secret when we decimate the buildings in the city.
Post Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:00 am 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

I agree Jack, we should utilize those pools for the youth in this city. The more oppurtunities we give them, the less problems they will get into.

quote:
jacksonmin@aol.com schreef:
There are at least eight indoor pools in the City. Four of them are at the four high schools - and are virtually unused summers and after school hours. Most of them are barely used during school. There are also pools at UM-Flint / at Mott CC and at the two Y's.
There are additional city pools that have fallen into disrepair.
The least expensive way to serve ALL the citizens of Flint -- in their own area of the city -- is for the City Parks & Recreation Dept to run swim programs in the schools -- and/or in the college and YM / YW pools. We certainly don't need to build pools -- and, especially, not outdoor pools when they can only be used for a few weeks per year.

We explored the idea when I was a City Councilperson, found it to be cost-effective and within our budgetary limits -- but the Administration just would not put the idea into effect. I happen to believe that we should strive to teach swimming to as many kids (and adults) as possible -- for safety reasons as well as for fitness & recreation.
Jack Minore

Post Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:42 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
edwardcolins
F L I N T O I D

Hello,

When using our swimming pools we request that you take account of your own swimming ... Flintshire County Council's public swimming admissions policy is in ... learner pool (Flint and Holywell only), providing that the children have suitable.

summer escape above ground pool pump
Post Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:41 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: