FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: County Commissioners take on Road Commission
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

2016-06-09 / Viewpoint

Print article Print
Kautman-Jones not best supervisor candidate
In the coming weeks, readers will hear a lot about what Atlas Supervisor “Shirley” has done in a grandiose way. Aside from the traffic hazard of a billboard erected last week, there will be letters to the editor, personal endorsements, packaged dip samples and campaign tokens to buy our votes. Oh she is a “nice” and “community minded” person, but there are important things you should know to elect the best candidate for the job of Supervisor. What you do not know will shock you.

I have attended township meetings. I call and visit the township office. I pay attention to agenda items and read minutes. I am impressed with board members Onica, June, Major and Slagle-Moore, but “Shirley” regularly appears hesitant, uncertain and vague as chair of the meeting. She repeats herself and talks around issues with pointless conclusion. In my visits to the township office looking for the supervisor to address my issues, Onica and Slagle-Moore respond because the supervisor is absent and no one knows when she’ll be in. It is apparent she has no office hours. Truth is, for a semi-retired business owner, Shirley’s interests interfere with her doing the job of supervisor in Atlas Township. As reported in (another local newspaper), what supervisor and experienced business owner would sell a township leased copy machine for $200 cash to her daughter, say she made a mistake and then lie to the township board and public about the transaction and the copy machine whereabouts? The re-election of Shirley to the office of supervisor is wrong for residents, township office staff and the remaining elected and appointed officials who carry the load. Shirley promised to make the most of our “taxpayer dollars.” She sure does “love the township.” Wouldn’t you love to cash your paycheck and not show up for work? I fail to see that as fiscally responsible, being engaged in the office or qualify as conducting township business! Teresa Onica is the best candidate to do the job of Atlas Township Supervisor. In fact she is more qualified, tenacious, fiscally responsible and knowledgeable in township governance as are Trustees June, Major and Slagle- Moore. I urge you to vote for Teresa L. Onica for the next Atlas Township Supervisor, Barry June and Pat Major for Trustee. Their record of integrity and fulfilling the obligations of office stands for itself. – Diane Fredericks, Goodrich

Supervisor’s signs too big, resident claims

Shirley Kautman-Jones has once again displayed her disregard for the rules. Her campaign sign located on Atlas Real Estate property on M 15 is about FOUR TIMES as large as allowed under Goodrich Zoning Ordinance Article VIII, Section 36.826.

Being a government official is about knowing, making, and enforcing laws, not breaking them. — Richard Misek, Atlas Township

Return to top

Share this
Copyright © 2009-2018 Grand Blanc View, All Rights Reserved
Post Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:20 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Onica will make a good supervisor
Letters to the editor
I know that me and my neighbors are very happy to hear that Tere Onica has decided to run for Atlas Township Supervisor. She is the very best person for the job and has done so much for the township over the years.

She has helped me on several occasions, most recently with filing my farm application for PA 116 and its use. Whenever my wife and I come into the township, Supervisor Shirley Kautman-Jones is never there. She hasn’t been helpful at all when I needed her. Tere did not make me chase the Supervisor down.

Instead, she handled my business for me. She has done this for my neighbors too. Whenever we have a problem, or need help, we call Tere. She always comes through and gets us whatever information or help we need.

Tere does the Supervisors job for her. The township needs Tere’s dedication and experience. Plus, she cares about the people who live here. I will be voting for Tere (Teresa) Onica as the next Supervisor.

It is time for Shirley Kautman-Jones to retire from politics and go back to her business where she spends most of her time anyway. — Wendell Kelly, Goodrich

Return to top

Share this
Copyright © 2009-2018 Grand Blanc View, All Rights Reserved
Post Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:22 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Facebook © 2018

News Feed

Arthur Woodson shared his live video.
59 mins
The Genesee County Road Commissioners should stand up to the Genesee County Board of Commissioner Mark Young and Ted Henry and not allow them to force them to force Genesee County Road Commission Manager-Director John Daly to retire before the end of his contract. County Commissioner Mark Young Ted Henry Genesee County Road Commissioner Shirley Kautman-Jones are going to cause Genesee County Residents to pay hundreds of thousands of dollars in discrimination and harassment lawsuits.

According to the Michigan County Road of Association, the relationship between the Genesee County Board of Commissioners and the Genesee County Road Commission is the Genesee County Board of Commissioners appoints members to the Genesee County Road Commissions Board of Commissioners, establishes compensation and benefits of the road commissioners, and holds the legal authority to remove a road commissioner from office under certain circumstances. This is the extent of the statutory relationship between the county commission and county road commission, as established by the Michigan County Road Commission Act. The Genesee County Board of Commissioners can take over the governing of the Genesee County Road Commission, but it can only be done if the County Commissioners go through the proper procedures established by the stature. The Genesee County Road Commission is independent and do not operate under the control of the Genesee County Government. The Genesee County Board of Commissioner has no authority over the Genesee County Road Commission day-to-day operations.

So, why and under what authority did Genesee County Board of Commissioners’ Board Chairman Mark Young and Vice Chairman Ted Henry meet behind closed doors on three different occasions with Genesee County Road Commissioners Robert Johnson, John Mandelaris and David Miller in Nov of 2017 and demanded that they fire the Genesee County Road Commissioner Manager-Director John Daly, and if they didn’t the Genesee County Board of Commissioners would take over the governing of the Genesee County Road Commission. This was confirmed by both Genesee County Road Commissioners Robert Johnson and John Mandelaris on Wednesday, January 24, 2018 during a Genesee County Road Commission Special Meeting. I posted live stream video of this meeting on my FB page. The action of Commissioner Mark Young and Ted Henry is an abusive use of their political powers and in violation of the Michigan County Road of Association Act. I am investigating to get information, on how many other Genesee County Board of Commissioners, were aware of these meeting and in support of Young and Henry’s inappropriate actions. What is disturbing about this is that Commissioners Mark Young and Ted Henry are the ones demanding the firing of Daly and not the Genesee County Road Commissioners to whom Daly reports directly to.

Former Genesee Road Commissioner David Miller, who served the Road Commission for 18-years, took on Commissioners Mark Young and Ted Henry for trying to force the Road Commissioners to terminate John Daly for personal and political reasons. It got so intense and heated between the longest sitting Road Commissioner, David Miller and Genesee County Board of Commissioners Mark Young and Ted Henry, that Commissioner Miller exposed their political plot to take out John Daly at the Genesee County Road Commission Nov 21, 2017 Board meeting. Miller let it be known that he had contacted the FBI, The Attorney General, Union Leaders, media outlets and other agencies to report the underhanded tactics of Young and Henry and their misuse of their political powers.

Commissioner David Miller’s standing up to and clashing with Commissioner Mark Young and Ted Henry struck a nerve with Commissioner Mark Young and Ted Henry, in an act of retaliation they made a move to have a hearing to remove Miller as a Genesee County Road Commissioner. Miller a prominent lifelong union member and union leader, refused to be bullied, to compromise his morals and his integrity and to be forced to fire John Daly, a man who had done no wrong, and who has 18-years of outstanding work performance evaluations. So Miller resigned on Dec 11, 2017, after serving the Genesee County Road Commissioner for 18-years.

I love to investigate and in my investigative pursuit to get an understanding as to why there was such a push to abruptly remove John Daly, my sources told me that there were several scenarios that were being played out. (1) Mark Young and Ted Henry demanded the firing of John Daly, because Commissioner Mark Young was upset with John Daly, for publicly acknowledging US State Senator David Robertson for his help in securing $15 Million Dollars for the Dort HWY project. Commissioner Mark Young was furious with Daly because State Senator David Robertson is term limited and is considering running against Mark Young for the Genesee County Board Commissioner seat this year, and felt Daly put him under the bus by publicly recognizing Robertson. (2) Daly refused to make a campaign donation to Commissioner Mark Young’s campaign and give Mark Young his endorsement when requested by Young. (3) Commissioner Ted Henry who for years have been trying to build a monopoly by controlling Genesee County through positioning members of the Henry family in key Genesee County positions and having them serve on key Genesee County Boards, is out to take Daly out, because Daly promoted Anthony Branch as the Director of the Road Maintenance Department over Ted Henry’s nephew who was not qualified. And when Anthony Branch would not agree to make Ted Henry’s nephew his Deputy, Ted Henry has been trying for years to destroy Daly and Branch. (4) Ted Henry wants to control the Road Commission, its contracts and $70 Million dollar budget. What a vindictive misuse of political power.

To try to cover their butts, Commissioner Mark Young and Commissioner Ted Henry together have concocted a lie that they are tired of all the serious complaints they are getting about the roads and how poorly the Road Commission is functioning as justification for wanting John Daly and Antony Branch fired. Mark Young and Ted Henry to this day have not produced one of these so called serious complaints and have not shared in what ways the road commission is not functioning and operating properly with the County Road Commissioners, John Daly or Anthony Branch. This is in violation of the Michigan County Road of Association that states when County Board of Commissioners gets complaints about roads and bridges; they should inform the County Road Commissioners. Members of the Genesee County Board of Road Commissioners, stated Commissioner Ted Henry, Mark Young, or any member of the Genesee County Board of Commissioners have not shared any complaints with them as of January 24, 2018. And the road commission has had no major violations or major audit findings during Daly’s 18-years as Manager-Director. Commissioner Young and Henry are full of bull crap and it’s at the expense of the county residence.

County Commissioners Mark Young and Ted Henry have been informed that John Daly has a just-cause contract with the Genesee County Road Commission and there is no just cause reason for the Road Commission to fire John Daly. County Commissioners Mark Young and Ted Henry are now depending on Shirley Kautman-Jones who serves as Chair of the Road Commission to encourage the Genesee County Road Commissioners to force John Daly to retire and in return the Road Commission, Not the Genesee County Board of Commissioners, will use the road commission fund balance to buy Daly out of his remaining contract in the amount of about $200,000 dollars and at the expense of Genesee County Residents. This is bull crap. This is nonsense; this money could be used on fixing roads.

John Daly has served the Road Commission as the Manager-Director for 18-years. During Daly’s 18-years he has received outstanding performance evaluations each year. Why should the residents of Genesee County foot the $200,000 plus bill to retire John Daly early and before his contract expire? Heck Daly’s contract ends in September of 2019. Daly had already told the Road Commissioners when they renewed his current contract in September of 2016 that this would be his last contract because he was going to retire. So, why not let Daly finish out his contract. Anthony Branch is under 50-years old and he has a perfect 30-year work history with the Road Commission and 15 years of the 30-years he has served as the Road Maintenance Director, without any major problems, and County Commissioner Ted Henry want him fired. Something is not right with this picture. Commissioners Young and Ted Henry are way out of line.

The residents of Genesee County are calling for a thorough investigation into the interference of a contract by Genesee County Board Commissioners Mark Young and Ted Henry and the violation of an elected official code of ethics. Also, we want answers as to why Commissioners Mark Young and Ted Henry are interfering with the day to day operation of the County Road Commission. This level of interference is in violation of the Michigan County Road of Association Act

We the people want to know from Genesee County Board Commissioners Mark Young , Ted Henry and County Road Commissioner Shirley Kautman-Young, what did John Daly do wrong that they are attempting to force him to retire before his contract end in Sept, 2019? We also want to know how much money is being spent in legal fees to come up with a retirement settlement for John Daly? We the people won’t stop probing until we get an answer. We the people will be at the Genesee County Road Commission Board Meeting located @ 211 W. Oakley Street Flint, MI on February 6, 2018 @ 9:30am.

The Road Commission is located South of Saginaw St between 12th Street and North of Atherton Rd, right behind Flint International Academy. Oakley Street sits at the light of International Academy.
Post Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:28 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

It appears that Dickerson invited Weaver and friends to the meeting because he believed he could show off an take John Daly down It has been said he was angry to find out that he did not have that authority

Another issue at stake is a$16million highway reconstruction project in Young's district Is that part of the motivation to remove Daly and oes Young really believe he can find another Road director that can manage such a large project?
Post Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:32 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Genesee Road Commission votes to sever ties with manager-director
Updated 12:28 PM; Posted 12:27 PM

By Ron Fonger rfonger1@mlive.com
GENESEE COUNTY, MI -- The Genesee County Road Commission and Manager-Director John Daly say they have reached a severance agreement but neither side has provided details of the buyout.

The commission voted 4-1 Friday, Feb. 9, to authorize Chairwoman Shirley Kautman-Jones to sign a severance with Daly that has been negotiated by a road agency attorney.

MLive-The Flint Journal could not immediately reach Kautman-Jones for comment on the deal, and Daly declined to comment on the specifics of it, saying it includes a non-disclosure provision.

MLive-The Flint Journal requested the severance agreement in a Freedom of Information Act request filed Friday.

"It says terminated ... (for) failure to perform my duties," Daly said Monday, declining to comment after a Road Commission meeting Tuesday, Nov. 21.

After 18 years at the Road Commission, Daly had become a lightning rod for criticism in recent months and members of the county Board of Commissioners called for a new direction and sweeping changes at the agency.

They charged a committee with studying their options, including eliminating the Road Commission, the members of which they appoint, and assigning road maintenance to a department of county government.

"This (interference) started in early November and continued up until today," Daly said Friday. "I'm glad to have had the opportunity ... to serve the residents of Genesee County."

The manager-director said he would retire as a part of the agreement negotiated with the county.

"And do you know what happens when I send my problems to John Daly? The people never get called," the chairman says.

Road Commission officials have said Daly had nearly two years remaining on his contract, a deal that would have paid him $105,000 per year as well as a car allowance for that time.

Daly's departure comes after the resignation of David Miller from the Road Commission in December.

Miller had defended Daly's job performance and accused county commissioners of attempting to strong-arm him and others to fire the manager-director.

Miller has said Daly was rated "outstanding" in every evaluation he was given since his hiring in 1999, but some county commissioners said the condition of county roads are poor and citizen complaints have been on the rise.

The Road Commission has an annual budget of about $57 million and about 140 employees.

Kautman-Jones said during the meeting that two Road Commission officials -- Anthony Branch and Fred F. Peivandi -- would be in charge of day-to-day activities until a permanent replacement for Daly is hired.

Robert Johnson, the road commissioner who voted against the severance deal, said morale at the agency has "hit rock bottom" because of the battles over Daly's future.

"It's disturbed me," Johnson said. "The employees -- they don't know what's going to happen next."
Post Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:17 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Home Local Article
John Daly out as manager-director of Genesee County Road Commission

John Daly
By ABC12 News Team | Posted: Fri 3:02 PM, Feb 09, 2018 | Updated: Fri 3:42 PM, Feb 09, 2018

FLINT (WJRT) (2/9/2018) - Friday's snowstorm will be the final for John Daly to manage as the top official for the Genesee County Road Commission.

The road commission board voted on Friday to approve a severance agreement with Daly, whose performance had been under fire for the past several months.

“For the last 18 years, it’s been an honor to serve the residents of Genesee County," he said in a statement. "During that time, I was very grateful I had the support of the staff at the Road Commission to assist me in all the endeavors I had to undertake.”

The road commission voted 4-1 Friday to approve the severance agreement.

Daly said he received a termination notice in November, which subsequently was deemed illegal and invalid. The board then voted unanimously on Jan. 9 to let their attorney begin talks over a severance package, which was under negotiation until Friday.

Daly had been manager-director of the road commission, which is the top day-to-day management position, for the past 18 years. His latest contract was scheduled to expire on Sept. 30, 2019.

Daly's performance has been under fire from some members of the Genesee County Board of Commissioners since the fall. They have complained about the condition of the county's local roads and receiving constant criticism from their constituents.

Daly said he was told the road commission's action was not based on his performance. He said the members told him they want to move in a new direction.

Daly said he could not discuss the terms of his severance package because he signed a nondisclosure agreement. Members of the road commission could not be reached for comment Friday.

Legally, Daly will be classified as a road commission employee on paid leave until April 2, then take early retirement beginning April 3. After that, he plans to take some time off to destress.

Daly said the past few months of dealing with the Board of Commissioners' pressure have been extremely stressful for him.
Post Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:21 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Home Local Article
John Daly out as manager-director of Genesee County Road Commission

John Daly
By ABC12 News Team | Posted: Fri 3:02 PM, Feb 09, 2018 | Updated: Fri 3:42 PM, Feb 09, 2018

FLINT (WJRT) (2/9/2018) - Friday's snowstorm will be the final for John Daly to manage as the top official for the Genesee County Road Commission.

The road commission board voted on Friday to approve a severance agreement with Daly, whose performance had been under fire for the past several months.

“For the last 18 years, it’s been an honor to serve the residents of Genesee County," he said in a statement. "During that time, I was very grateful I had the support of the staff at the Road Commission to assist me in all the endeavors I had to undertake.”

The road commission voted 4-1 Friday to approve the severance agreement.

Daly said he received a termination notice in November, which subsequently was deemed illegal and invalid. The board then voted unanimously on Jan. 9 to let their attorney begin talks over a severance package, which was under negotiation until Friday.

Daly had been manager-director of the road commission, which is the top day-to-day management position, for the past 18 years. His latest contract was scheduled to expire on Sept. 30, 2019.

Daly's performance has been under fire from some members of the Genesee County Board of Commissioners since the fall. They have complained about the condition of the county's local roads and receiving constant criticism from their constituents.

Daly said he was told the road commission's action was not based on his performance. He said the members told him they want to move in a new direction.

Daly said he could not discuss the terms of his severance package because he signed a nondisclosure agreement. Members of the road commission could not be reached for comment Friday.

Legally, Daly will be classified as a road commission employee on paid leave until April 2, then take early retirement beginning April 3. After that, he plans to take some time off to destress.

Daly said the past few months of dealing with the Board of Commissioners' pressure have been extremely stressful for him.
Post Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:25 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

JUst watch as attempts are made to remove minority Road Commission employees who campaigned against Weaver. Social media blamed Daly who never campaigns for any one. Is Mark Young and the Downtown/Uptown groups trying to make nice to Weaver. Or is it because the Genesee County Commissioners want to control the upcoming $16 million contract?
Post Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:31 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

FLINT NEWS
Severance deal sends Genesee County road manager 'on vacation' until April
Updated Feb 12, 12:52 PM; Posted Feb 12, 12:30 PM
s
GENESEE COUNTY, MI -- The chairwoman of the Genesee County Road Commission isn't talking about what's in a severance package for manager-director John Daly, but says he's started a seven-week vacation before his retirement with the agency becomes official.

"There was definitely a monetary (part of the) separation," said commission Chairwoman Shirley Kautman-Jones, who declined to discuss the agreement further on Monday, Feb. 12.

The Road Commission voted 4-1 Friday, Feb. 9, to authorize Kautman-Jones to sign a severance with Daly that has been negotiated by a road agency attorney and she said she does not expect him to work again after his paid time off.

Daly declined to comment on the specifics of the agreement Friday, saying it includes a non-disclosure provision, and Kautman-Jones said she did not want to misspeak about what she described as a complex legal document.

"This (interference) started in early November and continued up until today," Daly said Friday. "I'm glad to have had the opportunity ... to serve the residents of Genesee County."

I'm not a lawyer, and there is a lot of detail in there," Kautman-Jones said. "Friday was his last day, but (Daly is) on vacation until April 2."

MLive-The Flint Journal requested the severance agreement in a Freedom of Information Act request filed Friday.

Asked about her reasons for supporting the deal for Daly's early retirement, Kautman-Jones said, "It was probably in the best interest of both parties ... I really don't want to get into any dialogue on that."

Although she was only recently appointed to the Road Commission, Kautman-Jones said she had no difficulties working with Daly as a township supervisor in the past.

"It says terminated ... (for) failure to perform my duties," Daly said Monday, declining to comment after a Road Commission meeting Tuesday, Nov. 21.

"(It was) a very amicable, professional relationship. We never had any problems," she said.

Daly, who had nearly two years remaining on his contract at $105,000 per year, has said outside interference led to his departure from the Road Commission after 18 years.

Members of the county Board of Commissioners have increasingly criticized the agency's performance and said the poor condition of roads in the county has resulted in constant complaints from constituents.

Kautman-Jones said the Road Commission will likely undertake a search to find a new manager-director.

In the interim, Anthony Branch, director of maintenance, and Fred F. Peivandi, director of engineering, are in charge of day-to-day activities.
Post Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:14 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

e

FLINT NEWS
Former Genesee County road director gets $100,000 in buyout
Updated 3:40 PM; Posted 3:39 PM

GENESEE COUNTY, MI -- Former Genesee County Road Commission Manager-Director John Daly will receive a $100,000 buyout in exchange for his resignation, according to a severance agreement approved last week.

The six-page agreement, requested by MLive-The Flint Journal through the Freedom of Information Act, details the conditions under which Daly left the county after 18 years on the job and with about 20 months remaining on an employment contract.

Daly has declined to comment on the severance since the Road Commission voted 4-1 Friday, Feb. 9, to sever ties with him without a public explanation.

The manager-director will remain on a paid vacation that started this week until April 2, according to the agreement, and his salary and benefits will end at that time.

"There was definitely a monetary (part of the) separation," said commission Chairwoman Shirley Kautman-Jones, who declined to discuss the agreement further on Monday, Feb. 12.

Road Commission Chairwoman Shirley Kautman-Jones declined this week to discuss the reasons for the buyout, and the agreement says only that road commissioners "wish to make a change in the administrative leadership" of the agency.

"Mr. Daly is willing to cooperate with the board to insure (sic) a smooth transition to a new leadership team," the severance says.

The agreement says Daly intends to pursue his retirement and other potential professional opportunities.

Although he worked nearly two decades at the Road Commission, the last several months at the agency had been rocky for Daly and the agency.

Members of the county Board of Commissioners criticized the commission and its direction and the condition of local roads.

David Miller, a road commissioner, resigned after claiming he was pressured by county commissioners to replace Daly.

Another road commissioner -- Cloyce L. Dickerson -- attempted to deliver a termination letter to Daly in November, but the letter had never been agreed to buy the four other members of the commission, which is responsible for more than 1,500 miles of county roads and bridges.

Until a permanent manager-director is named, the agency is being run by two administrators on staff -- Anthony Branch, the director of maintenance, and Fred Peivandi, director of engineering.

Last edited by untanglingwebs on Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:52 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Genesee County Road Commission meeting. While selected on December 11, 2017, Kautman-Jone is made Chairperson on her first meeting. What are the odds that the person hired and preparing to start work files a law suit yet the new chair says discuss the ramifications later. I suspect a hidden agenda. Is there going to be a move to replace Poplar because she supported the recall?

January 09, 2018 – Agenda
Chairperson Kautman-Jones requested adding the rescindment of the December 05, 2017 Action
Item for the ‘Communications and Customer Relations Strategic Enhancements’. Maker of the
original motion was Mr. Johnson and seconded by Mr. Mandelaris. Mr. Mandelaris asked staff
if it was a problem to rescind the resolution or if the action should be suspended.
Ms. Donna Poplar disagreed with the action being suspended and stated that the Board approved
the hiring and salary for the position. A candidate has been officially hired and given a start
date. The candidate has already given notice to their current employer. Chairperson KautmanJones
referred to the 6-step preliminary plan as outlined on page 198 of the December 05, 2017
meeting minutes. Chairperson Kautman-Jones stated that ramifications can be discussed later.
Vice Chairperson Mandelaris requested clarification of the approved agenda for the benefit of
the County Commissioners in attendance. Chairperson Kautman-Jones said that Discussion Item
A-1 “Discussion of Complaints, et al, regarding Genesee County Road commission” on the
original agenda was removed at her request, to be moved to a workshop setting for the Board as
a whole to consider.
Post Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:07 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

ACTION TAKEN – Motion by Mr. Mandelaris, seconded by Mr. Dickerson, to enter closed
session to discuss issues within the Road Commission and correspondence received from Mr.
John Daly, as requested by Chairperson Kautman-Jones, per MCL 15.268(a);MCL 15.267(1).
VOTE ON MOTION:
Yes: Dickerson, Johnson, Arceo, Mandelaris, Kautman-Jones
No: None
MEETING CONTINUED IN OPEN SESSION
Vice Chairperson Mandelaris requested that the record show closed session with respect to
problems within the Road Commission, period. Secretary Bachakes said that correspondence
received from Mr. John Daly was also part of the motion. Mr. Mandelaris said that we cannot do
that unless Mr. Daly requests a closed session, under the statute. Chairperson Kautman-Jones
would like to discuss correspondence received from Mr. Jeff Birrell. Mr. Daly indicated that he
has no idea what the Board is going to discuss. Attorney Derderian is also unaware of the
document in question. Attorney Derderian said that the Board could move into closed session to
discuss potential complaints or concerns against Mr. Daly if Mr. Daly requests it. The Board
could also move into closed session to conduct a periodic personnel review if Mr. Daly requested
it. If the Board wanted to get legal counsel or advice concerning its contractual obligations with
Mr. Daly, Attorney Derderian could provide that to the Board in closed session. Chairperson
Kautman-Jones is in receipt of a document from Attorney Jeff Birrell. Mr. Daly stated that
Attorney Jeff Birrell is an attorney he retained to draft a proposed severance agreement based
upon discussions with Mr. Mandelaris. A copy was sent to Mr. Mandelaris and subsequent
emails were exchanged between Mr. Mandelaris and Attorney Birrell. The email exchange was
sent to each Road Commissioner. Attorney Derderian said that this is not something that the
Board would be able to discuss in closed session. Vice Chairperson Mandelaris said that
according to the statute, the document could be discussed in closed session if Mr. Daly requests
it. Ms. Kautman-Jones stated that she is trying to present information that she received and is
happy to do it in open session.
Copies of the document were made for each Board member and the clerk.
Post Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:19 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

ACTION TAKEN – Motion by Mr. Mandelaris, seconded by Mr. Dickerson, to enter closed
session to discuss issues within the Road Commission and correspondence received from Mr.
John Daly, as requested by Chairperson Kautman-Jones, per MCL 15.268(a);MCL 15.267(1).
VOTE ON MOTION:
Yes: Dickerson, Johnson, Arceo, Mandelaris, Kautman-Jones
No: None
MEETING CONTINUED IN OPEN SESSION
Vice Chairperson Mandelaris requested that the record show closed session with respect to
problems within the Road Commission, period. Secretary Bachakes said that correspondence
received from Mr. John Daly was also part of the motion. Mr. Mandelaris said that we cannot do
that unless Mr. Daly requests a closed session, under the statute. Chairperson Kautman-Jones
would like to discuss correspondence received from Mr. Jeff Birrell. Mr. Daly indicated that he
has no idea what the Board is going to discuss. Attorney Derderian is also unaware of the
document in question. Attorney Derderian said that the Board could move into closed session to
discuss potential complaints or concerns against Mr. Daly if Mr. Daly requests it. The Board
could also move into closed session to conduct a periodic personnel review if Mr. Daly requested
it. If the Board wanted to get legal counsel or advice concerning its contractual obligations with
Mr. Daly, Attorney Derderian could provide that to the Board in closed session. Chairperson
Kautman-Jones is in receipt of a document from Attorney Jeff Birrell. Mr. Daly stated that
Attorney Jeff Birrell is an attorney he retained to draft a proposed severance agreement based
upon discussions with Mr. Mandelaris. A copy was sent to Mr. Mandelaris and subsequent
emails were exchanged between Mr. Mandelaris and Attorney Birrell. The email exchange was
sent to each Road Commissioner. Attorney Derderian said that this is not something that the
Board would be able to discuss in closed session. Vice Chairperson Mandelaris said that
according to the statute, the document could be discussed in closed session if Mr. Daly requests
it. Ms. Kautman-Jones stated that she is trying to present information that she received and is
happy to do it in open session.
Copies of the document were made for each Board member and the clerk.
Post Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:23 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Mr. Daly asked if he would be provided a copy of the minutes if the meeting was closed.
Attorney Derderian replied that if the meeting were closed, Mr. Daly would be in the meeting.
Attorney Derderian suggested that we consider this a periodic personnel evaluation and that at
Mr. Daly’s request we move into closed session. Mr. Daly agreed. Ms. Kautman-Jones asked if
Attorney Derderian represents the Board and not Mr. Daly. Attorney Derderian stated that he
represents the Board and has never represented Mr. Daly.
Mr. Daly said that he is represented by legal counsel and a letter stating that Attorney Dean
Yeotis is representing Mr. Daly for purposes of negotiating a severance agreement was mailed to
the home address of each Road Commissioner. Mr. Daly retained an attorney for this purpose
based upon prior discussions with GCRC Board members. This issue was going to be on today’s
meeting agenda and Mr. Daly arranged for Attorney Yeotis to be present. The item was removed
from the agenda yesterday, so Mr. Daly told Attorney Yeotis that his services were not needed at
this meeting. Mr. Daly agreed with the suggestion to enter closed session for the purpose of
performance review.
Chairperson Kautman-Jones clarified that based on Mr. Daly’s request, the Board will function
under closed session. Attorney Derderian stated that the Board can, if Mr. Daly agrees. Mr.
Daly agreed.
Attorney Derderian said that Mr. Daly has an employment contract with the Board due to expire
in approximately 20 months.
ACTION TAKEN – Vice Chairperson Mandelaris made a motion to enter closed session to
discuss complaints against the Manager-Director of the Road Commission.
Mr. Daly said that he agreed to go into closed session for the purposes of performance review.
Chairperson Kautman-Jones said that she would prefer to discuss the two-page document to gain
some understanding. Vice Chairperson Mandelaris suggested going into closed session to
discuss the performance review and then go into open session to discuss the severance benefit agreement.
Attorney Derderian offered to talk to Attorney Yeotis and then draft a letter to this Board under
attorney-client privilege. Vice Chairperson Mandelaris feels that is a good approach.
Chairperson Kautman-Jones wants to do whatever is in the best interest of the Road Commission
and the Board of Road Commissioners and would like an opportunity for the Board to discuss
the document with Mr. Daly. Attorney Derderian said that he tries to be conservative in advising
clients about the Open Meetings Act but that the Board members are permitted to discuss the
document with Mr. Daly one-on-one. Attorney Derderian also offered to review the document
drafted by Attorney Birrell and give a legal opinion to this Board in confidence.
Chairperson Kautman-Jones asked if the Board is currently in closed session. Attorney
Derderian clarified that the meeting is in open session.
Post Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:34 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Chairperson Kautman-Jones asked if Attorney Derderian has prepared Mr. Daly’s previous
employment agreements on behalf of the Road Commission. Attorney Derderian replied that his
firm was not involved in negotiating the original agreement in 1999 but has been involved in
subsequent revisions and provided the documents to the former Director of Personnel, Kermit
Pitts. Attorney Derderian stated that there was a major change to Mr. Daly’s employment
agreement in 2007 at the request of Commissioners Bradshaw, Jamison and Miller related to job
security issues.
Chairperson Kautman-Jones referred to page 211 of the November 21, 2017 Board meeting
minutes referring to a mutual package of retirement. Chairperson Kautman-Jones asked Mr.
Daly if the drafted severance agreement was the result of the November 21, 2017 meeting. Mr.
Daly stated, “Partially.” Mr. Daly continued that on November 08, 2017, he received
communication from his assistant, Linda, that Commissioner Johnson came by the office and
said that Mr. Daly needed to call Mr. Mandelaris. Mr. Daly made the phone call around 4:30
p.m. that afternoon. Mr. Daly was informed that Mr. Mandelaris and Mr. Johnson had met with
County Board Commissioners Young, Henry and Nolden. The County Commissioners were
unhappy with Mr. Daly and the Road Commission because of all of the road complaints they
were receiving. There were also things that Mr. Daly had promised that were not being done
according to schedule and there were assessment district estimates coming in higher than
preliminary estimates. The subsequent nature of the conversation was that all five Road
Commissioners felt that Mr. Daly needed to retire and that Mr. Daly needed to meet with
Chairperson Dickerson and Vice Chairperson Mandelaris to negotiate a severance agreement.
Mr. Daly felt that based upon that information, the decision to terminate his employment had
already been made. Mr. Daly scheduled a series of three meetings with Mr. Dickerson and with
Mr. Daly’s attorney to negotiate a severance agreement but none of those meetings came to
fruition. The severance agreement was in development on December 05, 2017 when a comment
was made about finding middle ground. An email from Attorney Birrell was sent to Mr.
Mandelaris and there was a response from him a week later that it needed to go to all five
commissioners. Mr. Daly stated that he has served the Road Commission since December 1999.
Based upon evaluation reports, Mr. Daly feels that he has provided loyal and faithful service and
his intent was to serve out the term of his contract. If there came a point that it was not in the
best interest of the Road Commission, Mr. Daly said that he was willing to discuss a severance
agreement, which was reflected in multiple emails. Mr. Daly understands that there have been aseries of meetings between the GCRC Board members and members of the County Board
regarding Mr. Daly’s continued employment. Mr. Daly was not in attendance at those meeting
and neither was his counsel.
Chairperson Kautman-Jones said that clearly there is unrest and unhappiness in the County as a
whole. Ms. Kautman-Jones said that when she learned that Mr. Daly had applied for the
Manager position at the City of Flint, her personal thought was that Mr. Daly was not happy at
GCRC. Ms. Kautman-Jones has looked back at the Board meeting minutes to get an
understanding of what is happening. She believes that people get to a point in life where they
have to make decisions and look at what is in the best interest of the parties. Ms. Kautman-Jones
asked Mr. Daly if he is ready to retire because clearly he provided the information in the
severance document.
Post Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:39 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: