FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Satanists Demand Religious Exemption under Hobby Lobby

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

AlterNet / By Tana Ganeva

Satanists Demand Religious Exemption Under Hobby Lobby

The group wants to exempt women from exposure to anti-abortion propaganda in their doctors' offices.

July 28, 2014 |

In a characteristically fiendish move, the Church of Satan is trying to expand the legal definition of "personhood" to include "women."

In a statement released Monday, the activist group argued that if the Supreme Court's Hobby Lobby ruling exempts some corporations from providing coverage for contraceptives on religious grounds, then women should have the right to refuse anti-choice materials when they're seeking an abortion. 35 states have laws on the books requiring doctors to give women "counseling" before they can undergo the procedure (such useful counseling as misinformation about non-existent health risks) and the Church believes that the laws violate their members' belief in scientific accuracy and the right to determine what to do with their own bodies.

“The Satanic Temple believes that the body is inviolable ­­ ... subject to one’s own will alone.” Further, “we strive to make all decisions regarding personal health based on the best scientific understanding of the world, regardless of the religious or political beliefs of others.”

The group has crafted a letter for women subjected to so-called "informed consent" laws to present to their doctor. It makes the following points:

My body is inviolable and subject to my will alone.

I make any decision regarding my health based on the best scientific understanding of the world, even if the science does not comport with the religious or political beliefs of others.

My inviolable body includes any fetal or embryonic tissue I carry so long as that tissue is unable to survive outside my body as an independent human being.

I, and I alone, decide whether my inviolable body remains pregnant and I may, in good conscience, disregard the current or future condition of any fetal or embryonic tissue I carry in making that decision.

Women who do not worship the Prince of Darkness are also encouraged to use the letter.

Tana Ganeva is AlterNet's managing editor. Follow her on Twitter or email her at tana@alternet.org.
Post Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:59 am 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: