FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: VOTE NO ON PUBLIC SAFETY MILLAGE INCREASE
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

A new Facebook link started five hours ago to help defeat the proposed 6 mill tax increase for public safety. This 6 mills would place Flint at the maximun taxable limit. Visit the site if you are a member of Facebook.
Post Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:19 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Vote NO on Flint's Public Safety Millage

5 hours ago.

This Millage is not going to ensure that more Police or Fire Department Employees will be added or even ensure that more cuts could happen. The legal, vague language allows the money to be used for anything. It is a ploy by the Mott Foundation, the Genesee Regional Chamber of Commerce's PAC, Mike Brown and Mayor Walling to cover-up the misuse of public funds.

VOTE NO! ON NOV. 6TH 2012
Post Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:20 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

About two weeks ago the Police and the Fire departments union leadership were called in to a meeting with Kurtz, Lock, Brown, Barnett Jones and Duane Miller. The union informed the administration they would not support such an increase as they believed the continued addition of special fees on the residents had resulted in an unfair burden to those on a fixed income and the lower income.
Post Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:23 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Concern regarding ballot language tied to public safety millage

Posted: Aug 27, 2012 5:54 PM EDT Updated: Aug 27, 2012 5:54 PM EDT

By ABC12 News Team - bio | email

FLINT (WJRT) -
(08/27/12) - The head of the Flint Firefighters Union says he is still concerned about ballot language tied to an upcoming public safety millage.

It will be on the November ballot and could bring in about $5 million in its first year, but Union President Trent Farnsworth says it's not clear how the money would be used.

He says the police and fire departments stand united wanting to make sure the money goes only to the city bargaining units adding.
Post Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:26 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Flint exploring long-term public safety millage as city receives short-term police grant

Published: Tuesday, July 10, 2012, 6:06 PM Updated: Wednesday, July 11, 2012, 10:47 AM

By Kristin Longley | klongley1@mlive.com

FLINT, MI -- Flint's emergency manager says the city has started polling community members on whether or not a public safety millage increase should go on the ballot, possibly as soon as November.

Flint was awarded $743,000 today to fund 11 police officers, but the grant from the C.S. Mott Foundation expires in six months.

Emergency manager Michael Brown said the funding will allow the city to avoid police layoffs in the short term while deciding how to fund public safety services in the long run.

"We're working on that. We've said very seriously that we're looking at revenue options," Brown said. "We'll hopefully get some solid input on what's possible in terms of revenue options like a public safety millage."

(Update: $743,000 grant for Flint police to help 'bridge a gap' in public safety funding)

Brown said his administration has convened a committee to meet with community, faith-based and other groups on the feasibility of putting a public safety millage before voters.

Brown said he would like to put a public safety millage on the November ballot, but only if the community is open to it. Under state law, emergency managers do not have the authority to raise property taxes without an election.

"I've said clearly that's something that needs to come from the community," he said. "If it indeed is something the community believes is a viable option, then yes, November is definitely on the radar screen."

Public safety millages have had mixed results in Flint in recent years.

Voters approved a renewal of a 2-mill tax for police services in May 2011, but soundly rejected a 2-mill tax increase to reopen the city jail in the same election.

Since then, public comment on the idea of a tax increase for public safety has been mixed, with some residents saying they'd approve it and others saying Flint residents can't afford it.

In the meantime, Brown said he has no intention of reducing police officers or firefighters in light of the $743,000 police grant from the Mott Foundation and the federal SAFER grant for the fire department, which was awarded in June.

"The intention is just the opposite," he said. "We have an opportunity now to look at a rebuilding process."

No police officers or firefighters were laid off as Brown implemented the 2013 budget that took effect July 1.

But the emergency manager used his authority under state law to impose contract concessions on the city's largest two collective bargaining units -- the police patrol officers union and the general city employees union -- and other employee unions agreed to contract concessions.

Brown said the city was facing a projected $25 million budget deficit this year.

"I think we're going to have a good solid community policing program because of this grant," he said.

Terry_Bankert

1.A police milage has my support.
2.Who is on Browns committee.
3.Brown the public has good reason to doubt your milage will be used for police and not just to replace money shifted elsewhere.
4.Put on the November Ballot the question Do you the voters want to elect a charter revision commission?
5. We have nothing in Flint without adequate police protection from a motivated police force adequately numbered, compensated and supported by the community.
6.If you are resolved to stay in this city get active in shaping its future. I am dug in dep and staying.
7.Mr. Brown now that you see you need the public we want better reporting from you as to your long term plan to eliminate the 25 million deficit, incremental reporting on how you are doing and a target date for you to leave when your goals and objectives are met.

Wayover50

My my Mr. Bankert. You give the term gadfly a whole new meaning with your long-standing "input" on whatever the anti-anything of the day is Flint. Must be tiring dragging that soapbox around day in and day out preaching here, there and yonder.

Terry_Bankert

I was supporting an issue.Possibly the only voice that should be heard is yours.

http://www.answers.com/topic/gadfly

A persistent irritating critic; a nuisance.
One that acts as a provocative stimulus; a goad.

We need more police in Flint and a special millage to cause it. I will pay my share when it passes. I will help promote the millage if put on the ballot. And I suffer fools gladly.

drbpor
Sure more taxex to fund their retirement !! look at your millage break down and the amount that goes to fund police & fire liabilities !!

1 Month Ago

tdimhcs

I think we're going to have a good solid community policing program because of this grant," he said.

With that statement, it is obvious that Mr. Brown does not have a clue when it comes to the police department and its staffing problems. All the officers do now is answer call after call. Not sure how he expects them to find any time for community policing.

Rumor has it, the "South Side Task Force" grant is up very soon. If the grant was not used properly, one can bet it will not be renewed. Anyone care to guess how this will go? When the grant is done, where will the money come from to pay the 6 officers that are being paid from it?

Mr. Brown, how about make public, the MSU study that was done on the police department and its staffing level or lack there of. If it painted a good picture of Flint, you can bet it would have been out long

1 Month Ago

adamford

No! Lower the water bills! We need bankruptcy or something.

1 Month Ago

Brandon Kerr

Here's what will happen: The zero-liability voters (the renters/non property owners) will vote yes on higher taxes for those who actually have to pay the tax (property owners) because they out number them about 10 to one. Then more of the property owners will leave the city limits thereby leaving Flint in an even bigger mess. It seems that the zero-liability voters still don't know how to behave and will keep Flint as the worst place to live (according to Yahoo News, Forbes, and many other publications that pour over crime rates, etc.) which will devalue the property values of the couple of people still left paying property taxes within the city limits and will make investors run away from the idea of investing in Flint like it has HIV for business......and the cycle will go on forever because democrats/union members have never gotten, nor ever will get, common sense economics. The city of my youth is doomed.

1 Month Ago

burtonguy

The property tax is included in the rent. And, you are right, if a profit or at least break-even point is not made after taxes, insurance, and upkeep, the house will be let go for taxes.

1 Month Ago

wayover50

The problem is most Flint renters today receive rent subidies (taxpayer money) and are transient and won't be here for the duration of the property taxes they vote in unlike registered property owners who are. No renter should be allowed to vote on any millage ballot proposal.

1 Month Ago

undrkvr
pore - not pour

Last Month

trebor

Yup, more taxes coming to your area again.

1 Month Ago

burtonguy

Revenue has to drastically increase if Flint is to avoid bankruptcy and/or provide very, very basic services. Unless the state increases revenue sharing, that only leaves property tax and income tax for revenue sources. Choose your poison quickly and wisely.

1 Month Ago

Phillip LaBarge

Since Flint was at or near the millage limit Brown turned every millage he could into fees and now will ask on a ballot for all of those millages back, and will pretend to spend it in the form of police portection. This was his plan all along and I said this before.

1 Month Ago

Watchin'myBirdie

Flint residents already pay one of the highest tax rates on their property in the State. Now we add these new "fees" on top of that. The few people left in the city that actually go to work every day also get to pay the chity of Flint another 1% of their paycheck. Maybe its time the cradle to the grave entitlement crowd finally steps up to the plate and does something positive and productive in the community. I am taxed too much already, I have no more money to give.
1 Month Ago

DWCBOB

I doubt that it would pass, given the perception, at least, that the money would NOT be used for it's intended purpose, but would be diverted into various pockets at city hall.

1 month ago
Post Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:47 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

In Detroit when Mayor Bing imposed contract concessions on Public Safety employees, it was the same percentage as the other concessions imposed on other unions.

Not so for Brown. I believe it was pure vindictiveness when he imposed approximately 30% concessions on Public safety versus about 20% for other unions and non union.
Post Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:51 am 
westflint
F L I N T O I D

I would be careful on voting yes for this millage. Our leaders are misusing water fund money. How do you know they won't misuse safty money? Last time we voted for police, we did not see any more around here. If you want to see police in Flint, you have to sit on a bench downtown. Then, two cops drive up and down Saginaw st, back and forth, over and over again. I see this millage as another way to the "legal" criminals downtown to line their pockets.
Post Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:07 am 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

The ballot proposal language is not yet on the County's website:

http://www.gc4me.com/departments/county_clerks1/election_division.php

Have you seen the approved language?
Post Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:07 pm 
brianstarr
F L I N T O I D

i would definately vote no on this unless you want the money to get spent on what its not supposed to be for and thats probably things like lining pockets at city hall and also helping the city keep making its payroll cause im guessing thats where the water fund money is going due to this city being broke i see bankruptcy as still looming
Post Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:54 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Flint residents campaign in support of 6-mill public safety tax proposal

Published: Thursday, September 20, 2012, 7:20 PM Updated: Thursday, September 20, 2012, 7:46 PM

By Kristin Longley | klongley1@mlive.com

Kristin Longley | MLive.comThe Rev. James Kennedy speaks at a press conference in support of a proposed 6-mill public safety tax increase that will appear on the November ballot.
FLINT, MI -- A group of Flint residents kicked off a campaign today in support of a proposed 6-mill property tax increase for public safety services in the city, but they may have an uphill road to the November election.

The millage supporters say the city's decreasing property tax revenues and continued struggle with violent crime show the need for the increase, but opponents say Flint taxpayers are already overburdened with recent rate and fee increases, and question how the millage funds will be spent.
The five-year millage is expected to generate about $5.4 million in the first year, and would be set aside "for the sole purpose of providing police and fire protection."

The millage would cost the average homeowner about $79 a year, officials said, based on the current average taxable value of a residential property in Flint, $13,131.

A public safety plan posted on the city's website says 10 police or firefighters would be added in the first year if the millage is passed by voters.

Currently, the city's police and fire departments are subsidized by grants that are set to expire, beginning in January, over the next two or three years with no guarantee they'll be renewed.

The loss of the grant funding without a tax increase would lead to steep cuts to police and fire personnel over the next four years, officials said, starting with 11 eliminated this budget year, according to the posted public safety plan.

Flint emergency financial manager Ed Kurtz has said the city needs to generate new revenue. Without it, he said, the results would be "catastrophic" on the budget.

The Rev. Timothy Stokes is a Flint resident and chairman of the Yes to Police and Fire Protection committee, which kicked off its campaign at the Kennedy Activity Center on Pierson Road.

He said the millage increase is necessary to stabilize police and fire funding, saying the future of grant funding is too uncertain.

"We can't afford to gamble with that," said Stokes. "Police and firefighters have taken significant pay cuts to serve us. It's time for us as citizens to step up and support them."

Stokes was flanked by Flint teen Dwayne Williams, who was 17 when he was struck by a stray bullet on an MTA bus on his way to school. Williams, who is 18 now, said he and his mother will be voting for the millage to support public safety efforts in Flint.

"The criminal element is starting to define Flint," Stokes said. "But they don't define Flint."

The millage has had a mixed reception in Flint since it was ordered on the ballot by Flint's former emergency manager Michael Brown.

Some members of the Flint City Council have publicly spoken out against the millage in light of a recent double-digit water and sewer rate increase and a new street light assessment.

At a recent meeting, Flint Councilman Delrico Loyd said he won't support the millage and will ask his constituents to follow his lead.

Flint City Council President Scott Kincaid said he supports public safety in Flint, but was opposed to the way the millage was ordered onto the ballot by the former emergency manager under Public Act 4.

" There's a vagueness about what the impact is going to be," Kincaid said of the public safety plan. "My constituents can't afford it. Many are retired and on a fixed income. They're struggling."

Meanwhile, leaders of the city's largest public safety unions are on the fence, saying they're still reviewing the proposal.

Flint firefighter Trent Farnsworth, president of Flint Firefighters Local 352, said he wants a guarantee that his members will be the ones providing the fire services funded by the millage, especially since city unions took double-digit contract concessions.

"We're vehemently neutral," Farnsworth said.

Police Officer Kevin Smith, president of the patrol officers union, said he wants to know how many police officer positions will be funded by the millage. He also said he's waiting for the city to implement some of the revenue generating ideas his members have proposed, such as bringing the impound lot back under city control.

"How do I go to the citizens and say your fees are up, yet we want you to support this (without having exact numbers)?" Smith said.

Flint resident AC Dumas, past president of the Flint NAACP, said he's skeptical of the millage proposal, and won't be supporting it. He said Flint residents can't afford it.

"We have all these millages that don't do what they say it's going to do," he said. "We've been hogwashed over the years."

Stokes said residents can't afford not to support it because of the effect violent crime is having on the quality of life in Flint.

"I've been to funerals with mothers who are grieving for children who were victims to violence," he said. "The need for an increase in police and fire protection is immediate."
Post Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:21 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

The millage would cost the average homeowner about $79 a year, officials said, based on the current average taxable value of a residential property in Flint, $13,131.

If that is the taxable value for most houses in Flint, the residents really cannot afford this increase in taxes.
Post Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:24 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

" The Rev. Timothy Stokes is a Flint resident and chairman of the Yes to Police and Fire Protection committee, which kicked off its campaign at the Kennedy Activity Center on Pierson Road. "

If I am correct, Stokes lives in a mansion in Fairfield Village and his church moved out of the city.

I believe that both he and Kennedy are members of FACT, an organization closely associated with walling.

The article did not mention that Shaltz does not live in Flint, but has numerous investments in downtown Flint.

Who else is on this "resident group"?
Post Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:29 am 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Just saying... Flint firefighter Trent Farnsworth doesn't live in Flint either. There is no one on the taxes records with the name Timothy Stokes nor is there a James Kennedy nor is there an Ed Kurtz. Hmmm Is there any Flint residents on this committee to raise our taxes so officers can continue to go in circles. I gotta go back to mlive now and comment about this. Here I thought they were actually beginning to do some fact checking before they published a story.
Post Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:35 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Stokes lives in the mansion on Avon at the end of sixth street, next door to the Kettering sorority.

1017 Avon
Post Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:11 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Just rechecked the city tax records! WHen I looked the other day it didn't find them. Now today it is. So I guess I was wrong.! Yesterday I found some and when I looked up stokes stokes the other day it only showed a steal treating business. Today It shows he is a resident.
Post Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:08 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: