FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: DEMOLITION MEANS PROGRESS-HIGHSMITH ON FLINT SEGREGATION
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

UTSA researcher Andrew Highsmith named Spencer Postdoctoral Fellow

Bauerle

Andrew Highsmith

Share this Story

By Christi Fish
Associate Director of Media Relations

(Aug. 20, 2012) -- Assistant Professor Andrew Highsmith in The University of Texas at San Antonio Department of Public Administration has been named a 2012-2013 Spencer Postdoctoral Fellow by the National Academy of Education. The honor includes a $55,000 award to support Highsmith while he completes his book, "Demolition Means Progress: Flint, Michigan, and the Fate of the American Metropolis."
"The story of Flint, Mich., presents an excellent case study of race, political economy and urban development in the 20th century," said Highsmith. "Unfortunately, academics haven't written a lot about Flint, and most of what people know is from Michael Moore's first film, Roger and Me. But Flint's history is about so much more than the decline of the American automobile industry. At its core, the Flint story is an American story, and the persistence of city dwellers in the face of economic catastrophe is a central theme in the book. It;s fundamentally about the numerous attempts to renew a city perceived to be in decline and the social, political and economic implications, many of them unforeseen, of those efforts."

Highsmith was a doctoral student in history at the University of Michigan, when he landed the project. Since that time, he has poured through oral histories, archival manuscripts, government documents, court records, public school files and other items to piece together Flint's past. His research has taken him to more than a dozen libraries and archives.

In addition to learning about the decisive role that General Motors played in Flint's 20th century development, Highsmith found that civil rights activists, municipal officials, trade unionists and white homeowners, many of them suburbanites, played an important role in the city's evolution. Over the years, Flint evolved from a segregated industrial city into a hypersegregated, postindustrial town.

"In Flint, different groups competed over how to improve the city, and that created an extraordinary amount of social conflict," said Highsmith. "Whether these quests for renewal were successful, in the end, is dependent on who you're asking. Flint's story is a completely different story from what I expected and from what other scholars have found. My work is not really about urban decline. Instead, it is about cycles of urban reinvention and their effects on metropolitan regions like Flint and Genesee County."

"Demolition Means Progress" will explore the spatial and structural barriers to racial equality and economic opportunity in Flint from the Great Depression to the present. The book will address topics such as school segregation, the residential color line, employment discrimination, suburban development, urban renewal and deindustrialization. It also will describe how Flint's public schools formed the core of an unsuccessful postwar urban development paradigm that reflected the limits of the American dream.

Highsmith joined the UTSA College of Public Policy in 2010 following receipt of his doctoral degree at the University of Michigan. The dissertation he wrote at Michigan won two national prizes. He researches topics at the intersection of urban history and public policy. His expected book is currently under contract with the University of Chicago Press and part of its Historical Studies of Urban America series.

Since 1986, the NAEd has administered the postdoctoral fellowship program with generous funding from the Spencer Foundation. Since the program's inception, more than 700 current and former fellows, including many of today's strongest education researchers, have been awarded the fellowship. Highsmith is one of 20 fellows who were selected from a competitive pool of 170 applicants.
Post Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:56 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Flint's racist past
Post Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:30 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Flint has a long racist history much of what is documented by Andrew Highsmith.

News from Alternet: Missouri's Shockingly Ugly Racist Past ...

OpEdNews
1 hour ago
News from Alternet: Missouri's Shockingly Ugly Racist Past and Present: Why Ferguson's Inferno Is No Surprise - ...
Post Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:15 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Missouri official apologizes for racist Facebook posts: ‘I was a very active Republican at the time’

By Scott Kaufman
Wednesday, August 20, 2014 12:14 EDT

A Poplar Bluff, Missouri City Councilman is being criticized for posting what some consider to be racist images of President Barack Obama on his Facebook wall, KFVS reports.

At a city council meeting Monday night, Reverend Tommy Robinson said that Councilman Peter Tinsley’s posts were blatantly offensive. “To come from a city council member, a city government official, this is highly unthought of, even in Poplar Bluff,” he said. “I’m highly upset over this, along with the residents of our ward.”

The photographs published include this one opposing the Affordable Care Act:

“We want to see some positive outcomes and that really validates an individual’s apology,” Robinson continued. “We are looking for the same thing that the church would be looking for and that is healing and restoration.”

Tinsley apologized on Monday, saying that “at one time, I was a very active Republican, very opposed to Obama. I want people to know that I am very remorseful for it. It was inappropriate. I believe I got caught up in an emotional moment of sharing jokes. It seemed funny at the time but today it’s very serious and it’s not funny at all.”

Poplar Bluff Republicans were not happy with apology. “It even got more intense when he proceeded to blame the republican party for him thinking like that,” said the chairman of the Butler County Republicans, Eddy Justice. “Republicans believe everyone should be judged on their qualifications, on their ability.”

Tinsley then apologized again, this time to the Republican party. “Anything that I have said, that I referred to the activity because I was a Republican, that is not true,” he said. “It’s not an excuse.”

Watch a report on Tinsley’s posts via KFVS below.

KFVS12 News

Scott Eric Kaufman is the proprietor of the AV Club's Internet Film School and, in addition to Raw Story, also writes for Lawyers, Guns & Money. He earned a Ph.D. in English Literature from the University of California, Irvine in 2008.
Post Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:28 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

http://www.msnbc.com/melissa-harris-perry/watch/how-policy-built-segregation-in-baltimore-442618947579
Post Sat May 09, 2015 6:37 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

http://flinttalk.com/viewtopic.php?t=12252

Highsmith's new book is now available.
Post Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:07 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

http://www.minbcnews.com/news/story.aspx?id=1236964

Flint searching for a consulting firm to revitalize plagued Atherton East

by Nicky Zizaza
Posted: 07.30.2015 at 12:37 AM

"We gotta go I mean it's time to go it's not safe out here no more," said resident Kanesha Miller

"Megan Hunter Director of Planning said the city isn't equipped to handle a search.

"The plan is really detailed and it's more than just a plan it's actually a conceptual drawings it's looking at how to finance the housing so we need a consultant who has those expertise we don't have them in house," said Hunter

The vehicle city said they are hoping to correct their failure.

"They were put there because the city didn't want to incorporate them into the fabric of the community, now it's time for the city to erase that wrong."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If it were not for Andrew Highsmith's research, the City would not be even admitting the racist policies of the past. I have been surprised to have young men from the north end quote Highsmith.
Post Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:59 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Highsmith will be speaking in Flint in January
Post Tue Dec 25, 2018 11:54 am 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: