FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Kroger closing -Poplar's political moment.

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

WJRT tv 12
(07/09/14) - A Flint City Council member reacted with tears and anger after Kroger announced it's closing one of its Flint stores. The store is located at 2629 Pierson Road in the Hallwood Plaza.

Second Ward city council member Jackie Poplar says she's going to stage a protest Friday at noon outside the Pierson Road Kroger. She says the company needs to know how the closing will affect people.

"This is an atrocity to the people. How much more can you do to these people?" Poplar said.

Kroger says the lease is expiring at the Pierson Road location and the decision has been made not to renew it. The move comes after $240,000 in renovations was completed in the building in 2009.

"Why would you take a store, remodel it and then close it?" Poplar said.

Poplar is concerned those who live near the store but don't have their own transportation will find it hard to get to other supermarkets. Closing the store is not sitting well with the Flint Chapter of the NAACP.

"I always think about Michelle Obama saying in our neighborhoods in urban areas, there are fresh fruit and vegetable deserts," said Frances Gilcreast, Flint NAACP chapter president.

She says it could bring more economic harm to the neighborhood.

"Anytime we lost any business surrounding the area of Flint, it's a concern," Gilcreast said.

Customers aren't happy about Kroger's decision.

"People really strive here just to get food as it is. This is about to hit the city real hard," said Jerold Abrams.
"It's wrong. This place is busy all the time," said Judy Arnett.

The Kroger store is set to close Aug. 16.

selected comments:

Patrick
8:33 PM Jul 12

And we wonder why Flint is so messed up? we have these "community Leaders" who are staging protests over a store that is losing money. Now if your a buisness that is losing money in a community, are you going to keep operations running in that area? I think Sandy needs to sit down with the other community leaders and brainstorm what Flint city can do for these communitys , rather than act like an imbosal and stage a protest against a grocer that is losing money in the area. What are you asking for Sandy, more Charity? I think Flint needs to come up with other alternatives, different ideas, rather than bad mouth a smart business desicion. Why dont you open up a bus line from the community to the other pierson rd Kroger, its 8 minutes away from the one closing and exactly 4 miles, the bus driver wouldnt even have to make any turns.

ShaNae
12:32 AM Jul 11

+1
I hate this store and will not under any circumstances go in there for anything. Its ghetto, filthy and unsafe wtbs close it!!!

Andrew
10:50 AM Jul 10

+6

Like I said in an earlier statement on this site,The real reason Kroger is closing is because of safety concerns and theft from the store,This store is in an area where their is a need for a grocery store,But due to unrelenting theft,drug activity in the parking lot on a nonstop basis,and employees in constant worry about their safety Kroger has decided its time to get the hell out of this area,and I don't blame them!!I wouldn't shop at this store if it was the last Kroger's on earth.I just happen to be a Kroger double O7.

Anthony
10:50 AM Jul 10

+7

No Jennifer I just laughed at the " These people remark " And I am very diverse and, have an education. I just find it amusing how a grocery store closing because a business decision becomes a situation where the NAACP is gonna get involved. And we all know that NAACP isnt about the rights of anyone except the blacks. If the NAACP wants to do something maybe they should encourage belts, instead of calling some business basically racist because it wants to get out of a high crime area.

macology
9:56 AM Jul 10

+6

Companies have a right to open and close stores as they please. In general, profit is the primary motive. Return on investment drives decisions, not community desires. Note I said desires, not need. If the community needed a store here they would act to change the factors that are driving existing stores out of the community. Low sales, high loss or excessive maintenance/staffing costs are all factors the community can assist with. The fact is, if a store isn't carrying its weight, other stores have to pick up the slack, i.e. other communities have to pay more. Welfare by any other means or name is still welfare.

Emily
9:45 AM Jul 10

+4
The renovations they mention were mostly just paint, the building and parking lot are both in bad condition, Kroger isn't the only store closing either, other places in the plaza are getting fed up with the condition the plaza is in too, won't belong til they leave as well. Kroger isn't trying to diservice the comunity, its just a crummy place to set up a store, and I mean the building itself.

Steven
8:20 AM Jul 10

+8 updown
Share | Flag

Landmark super market is only about a mile and a half east of this Kroger location...Kroger is making a business decision, period. Landmark will benefit from it. Get over it.

Anthony
7:47 AM Jul 10

+17

" How much more can you do to these people " Priceless quote. Seems funny when white people say " these people " its racist. Meaning when white people talk about drug dealers thugs and just your normal run of the mill filth, we are racist. And now the NAACP is gonna get involved ? How needy are these people ? Dont you thhink they ever close grocery stores in white areas ? VGs in Burton closed and whites didnt ask the ACLU to make it a racist thing. Because having a organization that is only for the advancement of white people would be racist and all. Pretty soon white people wont even be allowed to speak in public. SMH

David
11:31 PM Jul 9

+22

That parking lot is full of DRUG DEALERS and Poplar is aware of it--she is just playing the politic role--ask her if she is going to take that raise--guarantee she will and so will the Mayor, for doing nothing

bk51906
10:02 PM Jul 9

+33
Get over the entitlement attitude...Kroger doesn't owe anyone their choice to stay in a location that doesn't turn an acceptable profit margin for them, or for that matter, any reason they choose. They offered to relocate every employee, so no jobs are being lost. They have other nearby locations - either shop there or don't, but shut up with the attitude that says they don't have the right to do what's right for their business.

Barb
8:10 PM Jul 9

+28
Sadly you are right Andrew - the theft rate in that store is unreal and it's getting harder find employees who are willing to work there. There is a bottom line for all businesses and Kroger has reached its limit there - bottom line -you can't operate at a loss - unfortunately it's the good citizen who suffers from it - the criminals will just target another store. Race is not the issue - just business - and what does Michelle Obama have to do with it - only way you'll see her involved is if she can get more publicity for her hubby to make it a government facility so he can control more people and give them preferential treatment cause they work for him

Pat
8:08 PM Jul 9

+19

I think the theft in that store has always been horrible. They can not keep it open with such loss!

Andrew
7:54 PM Jul 9

+21
The real reason Kroger is closing the store is because of safety concerns,The store is in a predominantly African american area infested with a very high crime rate,Now you know the truth.
Post Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:15 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Sheldon Neeley discussed this issue on his issue on his show. Neeley chided Poplar for her lack of critical thinking. While I worry his choice of words may create issues on council I agree with his reasoning. Stores are closing state wide and f the cost analysis found this store expendable, tears will not alter the corporate decision. A Neeley observed, there have been large population losses in the re around the store. Also by reading the scanner Facebook sites, there has been numerous incidents of fighting by the bus stop as well as robberies and other crimes.

There has been a long time expectation that the Third and Fifth wards will be combined. The second ward has such severe population losses, I would not be surprised to see it combined with the first.

Neeley put forward a solution. Put together a financial group and create your own grocery store. It took years, but under Rev. Dr. Avery Aldridge, Foss Avenue created their own credit union when the banks began to leave the north end. Foss Avenue is working to develop their own commercial development.
Post Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:03 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: