FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Master Plan- $ for millionaires & poor wait 20 years

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

MSHDA - AMERICAN RECOVERY & REINVESTMENT ACT - SOM - State of Michigan

www.michigan.gov/mshda/0,4641,7-141-7559-211383--,00.html

Michigan State Housing Development Authority - ... AMERICAN RECOVERY & REINVESTMENT ACT. Agency: State Housing Development Authority
Post Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:14 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

During the Granholm administration Flint and the Genesee County Land Bank received $25,089,478 in ARRA (Recovery funds) to address slums and blight.

From the announcement:

These funds will be targeted toward neighborhoods identified by the 12 participating cities and 8 land banks. These neighborhoods were selected for their strategic importance to their cities, including their proximity to jobs, commercial services, public transportation, and local neighborhood anchors. The objective over three years is to position these neighborhoods to compete for private investment in housing and jobs in the decade ahead to begin rebuilding our urban residential and neighborhood infrastructure.

Through the NSP2 funding:
•Foreclosed and abandoned property will be rehabilitated for buyers and renters,
•Blighted properties will be demolished, and
•Foreclosed, vacant property will be acquired, and reassembled into buildable lots and development parcels, so it can be marketed to developers for future investment

Cities and land banks will be able to eliminate blight and address over 30 percent of the abandoned property in these target areas, increasing their attractiveness and restoring better balance between supply and demand, increasing values and creating sustainable neighborhoods that are ready to adapt to new opportunities in a changing economy.
Post Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:17 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

What has happened is the creation of new slums and even more blight because the emphasis has been on the over-subsidization of rehabilitation and new homes, such as Smith Village, while there is no money available for the very poor and those low to moderate income residents needing emergency repairs.

CDBG funds once were used to assist with blight projects in low income neighborhoods. Now most goes to Smith Village and downtown. True, homes are being demolished but once they are demolished there is no one to maintain the properties so they grow up to resemble urban jungles.

Citizen cleanups can no longer be held because the city Emergency manager eliminated the ability for these cleanups to take place. Illegal dumping is so bad it is rapidly creating health risks for many north end neighborhoods. Rats, mice and other nuisances, such as tires, are increasing at a rapid rate. Republic, the new trash company has stated there is no plans or money set side for cleanups and recommends citizens just spread the bags around on trash days.

I really don't think this was the plan HUD expected when the money was allocated. The north end has been told their plans are 20 years off and more. The City abandoned the former bank building used for the Flint Area Enterprise Community and has yet to cut the weeds in front of the building. Will their blight team cite the city?
Post Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:35 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

I am still waiting to discover how the CDBG funding to demolish the Genesee Towers is supposed to fit into the 3 National Objectives of HUD.

The primary objective is that the project must benefit Low to Moderate persons. Secondly it must aid in the elimination of slums and blight. Finally it must meet a need having a particular urgency.

Downtown is in a census tract that is low to moderate income, but the area is commercial and institutional.

Downtown, with all the millions of investment dollars, is not a slum nor is it blighted.

The Towers demolition has never been an emergency and has been condemned for years. Nonprofits are rehabbing condemned properties all of the time.

If the city does not meet one of these three national objectives, the project is considered noncompliant with CDBG rules and the city is subject to remedial actions.

CHAPTER 3: NATIONAL OBJECTIVES - Locating New Page....

portal.hud.gov/hudportal/documents/huddoc?id=DOC_16472.pdf · PDF file

CHAPTER 3: NATIONAL OBJECTIVES CHAPTER PURPOSE & CONTENTS This chapter provides a summary of the three national objectives of the program, the …
Post Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:45 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Another issue is the nature of the activity. Who is this urban park to benefit? Many residents are students and most of the immediate housing is not low or even moderate income. Is the urban area merely to serve the commercial and institutional employees and visitors? If so it probably does not meet the criteria .

Also the residential area are being served by other parks, which means this is a duplication of available services.
Post Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:52 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Flint is estimated to lose 20,000 by the next census in 2020, but I believe that will happen long before then. When the city is below the 100,000 population level, Genesee County will control our federal dollars. I believe the downtown groups are greedily trying to get everything they can before the transition to county control. I base that on the decisions they make on where the money is spent.

Walling has stated the city needs 500 new housing units downtown. That means even less emphasis on the north end,

Snyder, Kurtz and Brown brought in outside contractors and rarely reached out to provide jobs for local people. Yet they are working to keep selected educated groups in Flint by providing affordable housing.

They have steadfastly refused to investigate the abuses of the Walling-Eason administration. Under This regime the plight of the north end has worsened with unchecked crime and increasing blight.
Post Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:03 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Planning stages: Flint officials look to craft roadmap for future development

Dominic Adams | dadams5@mlive.com By Dominic Adams | dadams5@mlive.com
Follow on Twitter
on August 04, 2013 at 7:00 AM, updated August 04, 2013 at 7:02 AM

FLINT, MI – It's been more than 50 years since Flint adopted its last master plan.

And a lot has changed.

In 1960, Flint had nearly 200,000 residents and General Motors was booming.

Today, Flint has about half that population, is under control of an emergency financial manger and ranks as the most violent city in America.

In a little more than a week, Flint will get a glimpse of the draft master plan that officials hope will help guide the city back to prosperity.

“The master plan will show how the city, major institutions, business and the foundations all align their resources to create jobs, improve neighborhoods and offer more educational opportunities to the city’s population,” said Flint Mayor Dayne Walling.

Since the process began two years ago, city officials have held more than 150 meetings involving 5,000 stakeholders.

“Honestly, coming from L.A., the amount of involvement we’ve had in Flint is exceptional,” said Chief Planning Officer Megan Hunter. “The level of participation is pretty unheard of.”

Hunter, the planning commission, a 21-member steering committee and others have been working to develop a guide that will address land use, economic development, public safety, blight and youth.

But residents like Renee Wayne, 38, say they've never even heard of the master plan.

She works downtown and said she was homeless for two years before she found work.

“It’s very hard, for like, the lower educated,” Wayne said. “There is a problem for the poor and people at poverty level. There is no way out for us.”

The city completed a master plan study in 1979 but it was never adopted. This time around, officials are striving for a different result.

“I think there’s been a lot of planning efforts and other things historically that have taken place particularly for people that live in under-represented, lower income areas,” Hunter said. “I think they’ve been disappointed. I think we’ve been really conscientious because we think that you have to take care of the underserved areas.”

In 2011, Flint received a $1.57 million grant from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development to complete the master plan. Hunter’s salary of about $89,000 is funded by the grant.

“The master plan will be the basis for revising the city’s zoning regulations that will guide future development,” Walling said. “The master plan also sets the framework for the city of Flint’s combined capital improvement plan that will lay out how investments will be made in streets, infrastructure and parks for the next 10 years .”

For example, road and sewer repairs are now typically made on an emergency basis. Often, Walling said, the utilities and road improvements are not done in conjunction at the same location.

The master plan will change that, Walling said.

The plan identifies goals in seven different areas and outlines ways Flint can achieve each.

For example, a goal in the area of public safety is reducing gun violence and violent crime. One strategy to do that is for police to execute sweeps for parole and probation violators.

Another example, Hunter said, is that the public asked for more areas around their neighborhoods that included grocery stores, banks and pharmacies.

On Saginaw Street north of Hamilton Avenue, there are three such areas outlined on the draft land use map.

Officials project Flint’s population to drop by 20,000 residents by 2020.

“We’re thinking about a shrinking population, but we’re not giving up on any parts of the city,” Hunter said.

For Douglas Schyck II, it’s all about jobs.

Schyck, 45, said he has lived in Flint for 17 years.

For eight years he commuted to work in Auburn Hills. Schyck also had no idea the city was creating a new master plan.

“It’s hard on people because we have to go outside the city to get a job,” he said. “A few major (employers) need to come in to Flint and not just for vehicles.”

Flint City Council is expected to approve the public circulation of a master plan draft at a meeting Aug. 12. The public will then have 63 days to comment on the plan.

Hunter said the plan will be tweaked as feedback comes in.

Officials expect to adopt the new plan by the end of October.

“The planning process is a back and forth between professional and public input,” Mayor Dayne Walling said. “Once the full draft is available, it’s critical that citizens take the time to go through it and take the time to give their feedback that will result in a plan that will get everyone’s support.”

Lifelong Flint resident Dale Reed has never heard of the master plan.

He hopes it addresses public safety, jobs and opportunities for low-income people.

“It’s rough out here,” said Reed, 26, tears welling up in the corners of his eyes. “The only way we know how to make any money is to hustle bootleg CDs to make a couple dollars here and there to get some food in our stomach. I love my city. I ain’t going to ever leave.”

The master plan process should address declining population, outdated infrastructure and limited public resources. It has built in implementation steps that includes a revised zoning code, capital improvement plan and an overall action and implementation plan, officials said.

“I think it’s really an example of how the council can demonstrate a valued roll in the process as we go down this path toward solvency,” said emergency manager Michael Brown. “I think there’s a lot in there that’s extremely important in the redevelopment of the city. I see a real added value for the economic development, public safety and education.”

Walling said state law mandates the master plan be updated every five years, but that it just hasn’t been done in Flint.

”The master plan will be a new baseline for the city of Flint, but we will have to continue to adapt to unforeseen circumstance,” he said. “That’s part of what will allow our community to achieve its vision is to be willing to adjust the plan in the future as circumstances change.”

Dominic Adams is a reporter for MLive-Flint Journal. Contact him at dadams5@mlive.com or 810-241-8803. Follow him on Twitter, Facebook or Google+.
Post Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:37 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

“I think there’s been a lot of planning efforts and other things historically that have taken place particularly for people that live in under-represented, lower income areas,” Hunter said. “I think they’ve been disappointed. I think we’ve been really conscientious because we think that you have to take care of the underserved areas.”

However, Hunter advised some north end groups that their underserved area needs would not be addressed for more than 20 years in the future.

The most common complaint I hear is that there are too many attendees at these events that are not from Flint. There is a resentment that outsiders are making the decisions.

The notices about the meetings are primarily from the Journal and the internet. Some attempt has been made to reach block clubs and civic groups, but still many are left out.

When the first mention of the new Master Plan came up at an event sponsored by Metro Housing. The discussion focused on the selection of multiple areas for development and the criteria necessary for redevelopment to succeed. Flint focuses on downtown and a north end area that doesn't have a school close by.
Post Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:46 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Facebook- Civic Park Restoration

Terry Bankert

The historic status of the Atwood community has caused only marginal positive change.

Thank you Mr. WHITE AND THE HISTORIC DISTRICT COMMISSION FOR YOUR EFFORTS. But IT IS NOW TIME TO MOVE ON.

This undemocratic development is all about imposing the the vision of the Mott Foundation, Uptown , Genesee Regional Chamber of Commerce and a couple other rich guys on the Citizens of Flint.

THE REAL STORY HERE IS THE GIFT OF ATWOOD STADIUM TO KETTERING.

My opinion is that Part of this deal concerning Atwood is to relieve Kettering of the burden of the surrounding area having a historic status.

Our MAYOR once again shows himself to be the cheerleader of the monied downtown interests.

BROWN is not here to get our money right. HE IS HERE TO GIVE AWAY OUR PUBLIC ASSETS.

MAYOR WALLING on the eve of a draft proposal of a new Flint Master Plan being presented to the Flint city council. Why did he not reference compliance with the Atwood Development and the proposed Master plan that thousands have worked on. Possible it was not in his authorized talking points.

The downtown interest with Walling cheerleading for them and not Flint Citizens are busy remaking the downtown area. They are remaking downtown Flint in their image for their interest and not for the citizens. They appear resolute that Citizens and their so called Master Plan will not get in the way of their development.

POSSIBLY THESE INTERESTS HAVE ALREADY WON THE BATTLE AND WE SHOULD RENDER UNTO CAESAR THAT WHICH IS HIS/THEIRS. WHAT DO YOU THINK?

I have only respect for Kettering University. Thank You Kettering for you contribution to Future Flint. I simply take exception to the undemocratic process used and controlled by others. Kettering will take good care of Atwood and the surrounding neighborhood. We must organize as effectively as the downtown interest to protect Future Flint in the neighborhoods.

Atwood Stadium and part of Carriage Town in Flint could lose historic status
www.mlive.com
The area includes from the Flint River north on Prospect Street and then east on West University Avenue to North Grand Traverse Street south to the river..
Post Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:27 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Remember this! Local residents were out of the mix and the rich got richer I Benton Harbor.

Flint has not produced many local jobs, except for service jobs, and is only concerned with developing the downtown area for Republican allies.

Posted by An Angry Black Lady

Michigan: Tragedy and Corruption in Benton Harbor

Posted on April 19, 2011 by ABL | 23 Comments

This is what happens when you privatize government

If I told you that a group of folks were planning to take a park that was a gift given to a community, develop it, and turn it into a bunch of condos, houses, and a golf course, what would you think?

Great! People love golf courses and condos!

Now what if I told you that the golf course was going to be developed by a group of white folks in a broken black community where the average income is $10,000 per year? And, what if I told you that the annual membership for the new golf resort is $5,000?

Not so great anymore, is it?

Essentially, that’s what is happening in Benton Harbor, Michigan. The Emergency Finance Bill allows Governor Rick Snyder to take over the town of Benton Harbor (which he did) and appoint an Emergency Financial Manager (which he did). The local government in Benton Harbor is now powerless as Joseph Harris, the EFM, further decimates their town:

Eclectablog has more:

[O]ne of the first things that Joseph Harris did was to fire a number of people on both the Planning Commission and the Brownfield Development Commission in Benton Harbor and replace them with people he hand-picked. These two commissions are the ones most intimately involved in decision-making about real estate development in Benton Harbor. They will decide who gets permits, what developments will look like and who gets to pick the ripe plums present in Benton Harbor. And they are now staffed largely by people chosen by the Czar of Benton Harbor.

This is where the rubber meets the pavement. If you are looking for motivations for Snyder and his Republican friends to take over Benton Harbor, watch who gets development rights of the Lake Michigan shoreline. They are already setting things up to ensure that it is not the local residents of Benton Harbor.

Elections have consequences, people. Anyone who pounds the “Democrats and Republicans are the same” drum is a fool and should be ignored. Full stop.

If Rick Snyder (R-Asshole) were not governor, this would not be happening.

Good morning to you, too.

TumblrShare

This entry was posted in Political Shenanigans and tagged Benton Harbor, Emergency Finance Bill, Michigan, Republicans are asshats, Rick Snyder, Save Jean Klock Park. Bookmark the permalink.

Johnny C. | April 19, 2011 at 9:51 am | Reply

During the election Rick Snyder pretty much got a free pass from the press. The media ignored his outsourcing record and when he got busted lying by the state Democratic Party the media bury the story even faster. Snyder took part in like one or two Republican debates while opting for town halls filled with people that were already committed to him and in the general election Virg Bernero had to shame him to take part in one on a Sunday night like two weeks before the election.

In contrast in 2006 race between Jennifer Granholm and Dick DeVos the media talked about it almost every other newscast with the last election the only time the media talked about the race was to tell people that the Democratic challenger Virg Bernero was down double digits.

The only difference between Snyder and DeVos is that Dick DeVos talked too much about his plans and people got to learn what he wanted to do. Rick Snyder only talked to friendly media and spoke less.

Post Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:26 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Imagine Flint: Eight eye-opening facts from city's master plan

Dominic Adams | dadams5@mlive.com By Dominic Adams | dadams5@mlive.com
Follow on Twitter
on August 13, 2013 at 6:15 PM, updated August 13, 2013 at 6:16 PM
6o

FLINT, MI – Don’t have the time, energy or desire to read the 174-page master plan draft for the city of Flint?

MLive-Flint Journal has you covered.

The public has 63 days to comment on the draft of Flint’s first master plan in more than 50 years.

Here are eight things to take away from the draft plan:

•Flint should diet. The Federal Highway Administration advises that streets with average daily traffic of less than 20,000 vehicles per day should be considered for “road diets,” according to the draft master plan. Some stretches of roads recommended for fewer lanes include:

1.Martin Luther King Avenue from Carpenter Road to Welch Boulevard
2.Pasadena Avenue from Clio Road to Martin Luther King Avenue
3.DuPont Street from Pierson Road to Pasadena Avenue
4.Fenton Road from Court Street to Hemphill Road
5.Hemphill Road from Dort Highway to Fenton Road

•Too many traffic lights. The Institute of Transportation Engineers recommends one intersection with a traffic light for every 1,000 people. A city Flint’s size should have about 102 traffic signals. Flint has 288, according to the draft master plan. The city could save up to $8,000 per year, per signal, in maintenance costs.

•No dams. Numerous dams along the Flint River should be removed or reconstructed, according to the draft master plan. The Hamilton Dam, near the University of Michigan-Flint, should be removed and cascading rock formations should be installed to enhance fish passage and eliminate the need for maintenance. Nearby Fabri Dam should be taken out and turned into a whitewater run, the draft master plan said. The gates of the 85-year-old Utah Dam, between Leith Street and North Dort Highway, are permanently open and the dam no longer serves its purpose. The Michigan Department of Natural Resources recommends the dam be removed.

•Sidewalks: There are about 1,300 miles of sidewalks throughout Flint. There are 950 miles of sidewalks that need repairs. For fiscal year 2014, there is up to $45 million in repairs needed, according to the draft master plan.

•Let there be light. Converting streetlights throughout the city to LED fixtures would save the city $1.5 million annually in energy costs. The savings would cover the cost of switching to LED after three years, the draft master plan said.

•Available housing in Flint doesn’t reflect the needs, the draft master plan said. Although 43 percent of the city’s population are renters, just 23 percent of residences are apartments.

•Both the fire and police departments are understaffed, which causes inefficiencies and the inability to provide sufficient service to residents, the draft master plan says. In 2008, Flint had 265 officers, while in 2013 there are 129 officers. Flint’s 1.2 officers per 1,000 people is lower than Detroit, Grand Rapids and Lansing's officer-per-population. The cuts in officers has caused emergency response times to rise, the draft master plan said.

•Outside spending: Flint residents spend more than $32 million on food and beverages outside the city, the draft master plan said. There are nine grocery stores throughout the city.

Copies of the proposed plan will be available online, at the Flint Planning Commission office, the Flint City Clerk’s office, the Flint Public Library, Mayor Dayne Walling’s office and at some churches. Public feedback about the plan is welcome.

What do you think are some good takeaways from the draft master plan? Post them in the comments section below.

Dominic Adams is a reporter for MLive-Flint Journal. Contact him at dadams5@mlive.com or 810-241-8803. Follow him on Twitter, Facebook or Google+.
Post Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:18 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Flint's Hamilton Dam 'unsatisfactory,' says most recent state inspection

Kristin Longley | klongley1@mlive.com By Kristin Longley | klongley1@mlive.com
Follow on Twitter
on August 03, 2012 at 7:00 AM

FLINT, MI -- As the state carries out an emergency drawdown at the deteriorating Corunna Dam in Shiawassee County, a plan for repairs of Flint's crumbling Hamilton Dam is at a standstill.

Not only is the city-owned Hamilton Dam in "unsatisfactory" condition -- the lowest ranking given in state inspection reports -- but it's also classified as a "high hazard" dam, meaning there's a chance of fatalities and significant impact on infrastructure if the dam were to fail, officials said.

To minimize such damage, the city has been under a state mandate since 2008 to lower the water level until repairs can be made to the dam, located on the Flint River east of Harrison Street on the University of Michigan-Flint campus.

But a lack of funding for what is likely to be extensive repair work has stymied progress on a plan to replace or repair the structure in recent years.

Flint Public Information Officer Jason Lorenz said Thursday that there are no budgeted projects for the dam in Flint emergency manager Michael Brown's plans, other than maintenance for normal operations.

An official with the state Department of Environmental Quality said the water level restriction has lessened the immediate threat to the surrounding area.

"That has alleviated our safety concerns for the time being," said Luke Trumble, a dam safety engineer with the Michigan Department of Environmental Quality's Dam Safety Unit. "If the condition deteriorates more, there could be potential for further action."

That's what happened earlier this week in Corunna, when the state DEQ began an emergency drawdown of water behind the Corunna Dam after recent inspections determined the structure could fail suddenly.

Inspectors detected a breach in the dam's spillway that, if it expanded, could release water and sediment downriver. The drawdown is expected to last until Aug. 12.

Trumble said the condition of Michigan's dams varies widely, from some in very poor condition -- like the Hamilton Dam, he said -- and some in very excellent condition.

Flint's Hamilton Dam was most recently inspected in November 2011, when the dam's structure was found to be in "very poor condition," according to the state inspection report obtained by The Journal.

DAMS03.JPGRyan Garza | MLive.comA sign behind a gated fence warns of the danger of the deteriorating Hamilton Dam in downtown Flint.
The stability of the dam's superstructure -- the part aboveground -- is "questionable," the report says, and three of the six floodgates have been decommissioned. The reliability of the remaining gates is "unknown," it says.
There are larges holes through the concrete of the pedestrian walkway across the top of the dam, which is blocked off with a "danger" sign.

"You can look at the dam and tell it's not in great shape," Trumble said.

The dam was built in 1920 and a fish ladder was added in 1978.

The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers classified the dam as "high hazard" in 1980 because of its setting in an urban area on the university's campus. It's required to be inspected every three years under state law, Trumble said.

A plan to replace the dam with a new "rock rapids" design gained some traction in 2010, but finding funding for the multimillion-dollar project was an obstacle, officials said at the time.

Trumble said some of the dam's gates have been blocked off because of the deterioration.

"In its current state it has the capacity but there's concern with the deterioration of the structure," he said. "We don't know how much longer those gates are going to be reliably operable."

Information from The Associated Press was included in this report.
Post Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:30 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

•No dams. Numerous dams along the Flint River should be removed or reconstructed, according to the draft master plan. The Hamilton Dam, near the University of Michigan-Flint, should be removed and cascading rock formations should be installed to enhance fish passage and eliminate the need for maintenance. Nearby Fabri Dam should be taken out and turned into a whitewater run, the draft master plan said. The gates of the 85-year-old Utah Dam, between Leith Street and North Dort Highway, are permanently open and the dam no longer serves its purpose. The Michigan Department of Natural Resources recommends the dam be removed.

I am going to assume the Flint Journal writer or editor misunderstood that the rock formations for fish is a replacement dam for the Hamilton Avenue dam. The way the article is written it is not clear just how important this dam is.
Post Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:35 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Hamilton Dam - Civil Engineering, Planning and Surveying at …

www.wadetrim.com/hamilton_dam/index.html

Located along the Flint River in the heart of downtown Flint, Michigan ... the Hamilton Dam has a long history of service to the City of Flint.

Located along the Flint River in the heart of downtown Flint, Michigan (near the University of Michigan-Flint campus, upstream of Harrison and Saginaw Streets), the Hamilton Dam has a long history of service to the City of Flint. In its early days, after it was constructed in 1920, it facilitated milling operations for the region’s logging industry and served as a water source for local industries. Throughout its entire life, the dam has helped regulate the flow of water in the Flint River. In the 1960s the dam served as the upstream anchor point for the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers’ Flood Control Project.

Repairs to the dam were made in 1964 and again in the early 1990s to repair structural deficiencies in the concrete structure and the floodgates. As a result of continued deterioration and operational issues, this dam is currently classified as a High Hazard Critical Dam. Any action taken to address problems with the dam must accommodate a number of readily apparent operational constraints. Currently, the dam regulates downstream flow of the River to maintain the minimum flows required for compliance with discharge of treated wastewater from the City’s treatment facility. It also maintains an upstream impoundment depth sufficient to allow operation of the City’s water treatment plant. Finally, the impoundment likely provides sufficient back pressure against potentially contaminated groundwater, thus preventing or at least minimizing flow of these contaminants down the river.

In late 2009, the City of Flint engaged a team of consultants to build upon past studies in order to develop a preliminary design for modifications to the Hamilton Dam as well as preliminary design for restoration of the downstream river corridor through the Chevy in the Hole project area.
Post Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:38 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

More from the Wade Trim page:

The Hamilton Dam and Riverfront Restoration Project includes the collection, analysis, and use of a variety of data and information to develop appropriate design and restoration solutions. Many of these documents, plans and data can be found on this page.

Flint Riverfront Restoration Plan

Preliminary Engineering Report

Key Project Tasks
A contract was authorized by the City in late 2009. Work has been advancing under two interrelated tracks: 1) Engineering Assessments and Preliminary Design of the Hamilton Dam Modifications and 2) Flint River Riverfront Planning and Stakeholder Engagement. Primary tasks include:
•Water Treatment Plant Low Service Pump Test
•Sediment Testing and Analysi
•Condition Assessment of Hamilton Dam and Utah Dam
•LOMR Study
•Topographic and Bathymetric Survey
•Fish Passage Assessment
•USACE and MDNRE Permitting Coordination
•Preliminary Engineering Report
•Assessment of Previous Riverfront Studies
•Assessment of Riverbank Park and River Corridor
•Public and Stakeholder Engagement
•Grant Funding and Assistance