FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: New Public safety officer
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Flint has hired Barnett Jones as the new Public Safety Officer on a three year contractat $135,000 per year with limited benefits, not including health care.

Lock will report to Jones. According to the Flint Journal, Jones has been a volunteer for Flint and will be paid beginning Monday.

Barnett Jones Bio

Barnett Jones comes to Ann Arbor with 30 years of law enforcement experience, beginning as a Wayne County Sheriff’s Deputy and also working for Inkster PD, Oakland County Sheriff’s Department and, most recently, as Chief of: Police for the City of Sterling Heights, before assuming his role in Ann Arbor of June 2006. In addition to his duties with the City of Ann Arbor, Jones serves as a Pastor in the Outreach Ministry of the Apostolic Church of Auburn Hills; he is an Adjunct Professor for Eastern Michigan University; and has served as an instructor at various community college police academies throughout Southeast Michigan. Chief Jones received his Bachelor’s Degree from the University of Michigan; Master’s from Eastern Michigan University; is a graduate of the FBI National Academy, Quantico, Virginia; a graduate of Northwestern University’s School of Staff & Command; and has participated in the U.S. Secret Service Dignitary Protection Program. Chief Jones keeps an active speaking engagement schedule and has spoken for Ann Arbor Schools, Rochester Schools, Pontiac Schools, Oakland University, Utica Schools, Consumer’s Energy, Scotland Yard Metropolitan Police, London, England; Cardiff, South Wales Police, South Wales; and numerous other Law Enforcement Agencies on such topics as Drug Awareness Resistance Education, Gang Awareness, School Safety, Cultural Diversity, Personal Safety, Organizational Behavior, Ethics, and Officer Safety.
Post Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:24 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

"He said Jones has been assisting city officials as they've met with with state police and the governor's office in crafting a new public safety plan, details of which will begin to be released Monday " (flint Journal quoting Brown)

The budget and now apparently the new public safety plan will be unveiled Monday in the city Council chamber at 5:30 p.m.

This meeting and the public comment meeting the following Monday are important meetings and anyone who can should attend.
Post Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:36 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Jones left ann Arbor on April 1, 2012.

Ann Arbor Police Chief Barnett Jones resigns

Posted: Wed, Feb 29, 2012 : 12:55 p.m.

Ann Arbor Police Chief Jones Barnett Jones announced Wednesday that he plans to retire.

Ann Arbor Police Chief Barnett Jones Wednesday announced he is retiring.

Jones announced his plan to retire after nearly 40 years in law enforcement through an email sent to employees, sources said.

Jones was not immediately available for comment.

"I’m happy for his ability to retire," City Administrator Steve Powers said. "I’m sad that he’s leaving the City of Ann Arbor."

Powers said Jones informed him of his plan to retire Tuesday. Powers sent the following e-mail Wednesday afternoon to City Council members and service area administrators: "Barnett Jones has informed me and the department’s command staff that he is retiring April 1, 2012. Barnett has served the public in law enforcement for 38 years. He will be a loss to Ann Arbor."

Ann Arbor Fire Chief Chuck Hubbard said he talked to Jones two days ago about routine business and Jones gave him no indication he was planning to retire. Hubbard learned about the retirement over a brief email that he received Wednesday.

"I'm shocked," he said. "He'll be sorely missed." Hubbard said Jones has been his immediate supervisor since June 2011, when Hubbard was promoted to his current position.

"His work ethic speaks for itself," Hubbard said. "He's a professional. He's a fair person. He's been great to me. He's been very helpful in my career."

Jones was pressured in recent city budget cycles to make deep cuts to the police department, cuts he didn't want to have to make. He expressed frustrations about that and repeatedly told council members he couldn't afford to lose any more police officers.

"We can't afford to lose a police officer," he told council members in February 2010. "Since 2000, we've gone from 216-plus police officers down to 124. Our reality is we have been doing the best we can ... but we're at a point where there are some quality of life issues. As a police chief, I cannot stand here and say I can afford to lose any more police officers."

Both the police department and the fire department, which Jones oversees as public safety administrator, have gone through two rounds of cuts since he made that comment, and the city recently outsourced police dispatch services to the county, eliminating even more jobs.

More staffing reductions are being considered in the fire department this year. A recent report from a paid consultant recommends several options for cutting the department's costs.

The budget picture is looking better for the police department, though, and council members are planning to avoid planned cuts this year.

Jones, who is in his late 50s, makes $126,500 per year as chief. City officials said Jones is eligible for a pension under city policies that allow firefighters and police officers to collect at age 55 with five or more years of service.

It's expected that his pension will be calculated based on the average of his three highest-paid consecutive years multiplied by his total years of service and a 2.75 percent multiplier. A rough calculation shows that could be more than $20,000 a year.

City Council Member Christopher Taylor, D-3rd Ward, said Jones' departure will be a loss for the city of Ann Arbor.

"Chief Jones has led AAPD with calm and grace during a crucial era," Taylor said. "He was asked to do more with less and Chief Jones delivered. As he has often said, we live in a safe community, and to him we owe a debt of thanks."

Jones also is well-respected in Michigan, said Bob Stevenson, executive director of the Michigan Association of the Chiefs of Police.

“(Ann Arbor) is losing an excellent chief of police with a tremendous reputation around the state,” Stevenson said.

Washtenaw County Sheriff Jerry Clayton expressed a similar sentiment. "The retirement of Chief Jones is a tremendous loss for the the City of Ann Arbor and all of Washtenaw County," Clayton said in an emailed statement. "He has been a strong leader and public safety partner and I greatly appreciate his friendship and the counsel he has provided me through the years."

Jones came to Ann Arbor as chief of police in 2006 after serving as police chief in Sterling Heights.

He began his law enforcement career as a Wayne County sheriff's deputy and also worked for the Inkster Police Department and Oakland County Sheriff's Department.

Jones earned a bachelor's degree from the University of Michigan and a master's degree from Eastern Michigan University.

Powers said the city will need to appoint an interim chief until officials can find a new police chief. He said he does not yet know who that will be.

John Seto and Greg Bazick are the department's two deputy chiefs.
Post Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:44 pm 
Bossman
F L I N T O I D

Obviously things are changing in Flint. Hire more chiefs and keep eliminating the indians. It's good to see the level of influence Uptown Development has on the future of Flint. Just stay seated, keep your hands and feet inside the cart and enjoy your ride. Flint......it's a great place to be from.
Post Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:28 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

By Ryan J. Stanton
Political Reporter

Ann Arbor officials defend police staffing levels at time when crime is down but concern is high

Posted: Sun, Jul 31, 2011 : 5:58 a.m.

138 Comments

Related story:Ann Arbor residents raise questions about safety as investigation of assaults continues

Recent reports of rapes, assaults, shootings and stabbings in Ann Arbor have raised serious questions in the minds of some city residents: Is the city becoming less safe? Is there a connection between recent crimes and continued cuts to police staffing levels?

Some think so.

"The elements that we don’t want to have to deal with are coming out of the woodwork like crazy," said Bob Dascola, a barber who has worked downtown for 42 years and serves on the board of the State Street Area Association.

“We need to have police staffing on the streets because it helps to keep those things in check," he said. "Without them around, these guys are just going to keep doing whatever they want.”

But Ann Arbor officials argue perception, in this case, isn't reality. They say the recent crimes that have hit Ann Arbor are unfortunate, but they're confident the city remains safe.

Barnett Jones
Despite the attention given to recent crimes — including a series of attacks on women — city leaders say all reports indicate crime is going down in Ann Arbor. They say that's true even within the downtown, where a number of the crimes have been reported.

"Crossing my desk currently, I don't see crime being up in the downtown area," said Police Chief Barnett Jones, adding the same is true throughout the city.

Jones said year-to-date figures show crime is down in every major category, including rape, robbery, larceny, vehicle theft, breaking and entering, aggravated assault and arson.

The following figures were provided by Jones showing the total number of each type of crime reported so far this year, and how many were reported at this same time last year.

•Rapes: down from 30 to 23
•Robberies: down from 39 to 31
•Larcenies: down from 1,248 to 949
•Vehicle thefts: down from 71 to 42
•Breaking and entering: down from 287 to 255
•Aggravated assaults: down from 65 to 59
•Arsons: down from 18 to 3

Added up, that's a nearly 23 percent decrease in those types of crimes.

"Our crime is down in every category that we report to the FBI," Jones said. "Would I love for all of these categories to be zeros? Absolutely. But I know that's never going to happen."

Ann Arbor had 191 sworn officers less than a decade ago, and now that's down to 118 after the most recent round of budget cuts. At this point, the city would need to more than double staffing levels in the police department to meet national standards.

That's become a topic of debate in City Council races that will be decided in Tuesday's primary election. Candidates challenging incumbent council members say the city has cut too deep into police staffing levels and they're concerned about the consequences. Meanwhile, another 12 positions in the police department are slated for elimination next year.

The Ann Arbor Police Officers Association warned before the most recent cuts that further reductions in department staffing levels would result in longer response times and reduced police enforcement efforts. Over the past decade, the union claims, the department has been forced to move from proactive policing to reactive policing.

Mayor John Hieftje said on Friday he doesn't think the city has cut too far, but he also doesn't want to see police staffing levels go any lower.

"Council's challenge is to avoid having to make any further cuts to public safety," he said. "That's my goal and council members that I've talked to are totally in agreement with that."

Hieftje continues to stress that crime has been on a downward trend. A total of 7,911 crimes were reported in Ann Arbor last year, a figure that's down 19 percent from 2002 levels.

FBI Uniform Crime Reports from last year showed Ann Arbor was the second safest of Michigan's six largest cities, trailing only Sterling Heights.

"I think one crime is too many, but as we look at all of the statistical evidence, crime continues to go down in the city," Hieftje said. "Of course, there's going to be peaks and valleys, and periods where things seem to be picking up a little bit. But when you sit down at year's end, I think we're going to arrive at another year where we see crime down in the city."

Downtown Development Authority board member Joan Lowenstein agreed with the mayor. A former member of the City Council, Lowenstein said she doesn't believe there is a correlation between police staffing levels and crime numbers.

"The whole time I was on City Council, that could never be shown, that if you did have an increase, that increasing police patrols would decrease it," she said. "So I don't think that cause and effect has ever been shown."

Until two summers ago, a handful of police officers known as "beat cops" were assigned to patrol the downtown on bicycle and by foot. As part of a restructuring of the police department, those patrols were eliminated, much to the dismay of many downtown business owners.

Jones said he's been struggling for the past two years to get a beat officer back in the downtown area and he's happy to say, as of a few months ago, that has happened.

One of the department's senior officers is now assigned to regularly patrol the downtown, Jones said, and another assists on occasion when resources are available.

"I told the business community, as soon as I can figure out a way to do it, I'd put beat officers back in the downtown area, and we were able to work it out," Jones said.

Jones said additional police presence won't necessarily prevent some of the more serious crimes, like two recent shootings in the downtown.

"You can put as many cops as you want to put in the downtown area, but are you going to be able to stop a person with ill intent who brings a gun to a local bar? No," Jones said. "You're going to respond to that type of situation after the fact."

Commenting on the recent string of rapes in Ann Arbor, Jones recalled a serial rapist named Ervin Mitchell who struck Ann Arbor in the early 1990s and terrorized the city for two years before he was caught — even while the city had dozens more officers than it has today.

"I'd love to have however many officers I could have, but even with all of those officers, I can not guarantee we would not have crimes occurring," he said.

Hieftje also said he hasn't seen any data that shows a relationship between the number of police officers and the amount of crime in a city.

"If you wanted to say that there may be spikes within a month or two of something in an area, that happens all the time," Hieftje said. "It's been happening throughout history in the city of Ann Arbor. That's how the statistics are made up. You go through these periods that are kind of a lull and then you get a spike and things go down."

Hieftje recalled a series of bank robberies from last year.

"Well, that turns out we didn't have any more bank robberies than we normally have — they just happened within a six-week or eight-week period," he said.

Jones said he can emphatically say that Ann Arbor remains a safe community, and he's confident the department will catch whoever is responsible for the recent rapes.

"We have a situation that is ongoing and we're dealing with it," he said. "We have a person with ill intent and we're doing everything we can to catch him. We're going to catch this guy and then we're going to go back to being a nice, relatively safe community."

Aimee Metzer, acting president of the police officers union, said she can't say crime numbers are directly linked to the number or police on the streets. But she said there's no doubt the department's ability to catch bad guys has been hindered by cuts to staffing levels.

"I was working the night of that first major rape that we had," she said. "We had such a small amount of units on the road that I passed the same patrol car looking for the suspect three times. Ten years ago, we used to catch people. Now we just don't even have the staffing to set up a perimeter or bring in a K-9 unit — we're so reactive now."

Added Metzer: "If I lived in Ann Arbor, I would be petrified."

Ryan J. Stanton covers government and politics for AnnArbor.com. Reach him at ryanstanton@annarbor.com or 734-623-2529. You also can follow him on Twitter or subscribe to AnnArbor.com's e-mail newsletters.
Post Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:16 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

From Ann Arbor:

Cash

7:03 AM on 7/31/2011

Talk about trying to defend poor leadership and bad decision-making!

If the NUMBER of crimes is down, we will cut the employees that got that number down.
This is the management style at AAPD and the mayor's office.

"Jones said he can emphatically say that Ann Arbor remains a safe community".....is it any wonder TPTB never let this guy speak to the media? The things that come out of his mouth..................
Let me just say that I pray one of the recently attacked females in this "safe community" doesn't read that!

Unbelievable. Just unbelievable.

Stephen Lange Ranzini

7:10 AM on 7/31/2011

I've talked at length to a number of police officers and they all share Aimee Metzer's point of view that current staffing levels leave them spread way too thin covering way too large a geographic area of the city during their shifts. The size of the areas where there is one officer patrolling seem quite large to me too, based on what they are telling me. Asking the police why reported crimes are done, they believe that it is because with fewer police on the beat, citizens are not reporting as many of the crimes that are occurring. People are less likely to call 911 or drive to police HQ to report a crime than to flag down a patrol car or a foot patrol. Fewer reported crimes don't mean that there are fewer crimes in actuality.

As a long time downtown resident, I agree with Bob Dascola's observation that the perception of safety downtown has deteriorated in recent years. I went to city council before the recent cut backs where they fired more police (and eliminated more firefighters) and pled for them not to do it, noting my concerns. I continued to be disappointed that AnnArbor.com does not report on the fact that there are numerous level 4 registered sex offenders living at the homeless shelter downtown (ten of the most serious kind the last I looked into it). The number of bunko artists lurking around downtown is at an all time high.

utownie

7:15 AM on 7/31/2011

...recent police AND fire cuts should never have happened.

The problem the council created is taking away operational flexibility for emergency response and special crimes for police and fire. What if our crime goes up? What is the plan? What happens when police are needed for a major incident? What are the numbers available to respond? Crime statistics -- many victims of crime know their assailants and police respond to gather evidence. I don't know for sure, but that might be the majority of crime statistics occurring in Ann Arbor. Then there are street crimes where criminal opportunists take advantage of a lack of police presence because they feel they will not get caught. If Ann Arbor street crime continues, visitors will stay away.

Let's take back the streets. Let's support our public safety workers who are dedicated to a safe community. Let's look, listen, pay attention, and intervene when someone needs help. When the police arrive, we will have made their job a little easier.

The Watchman

7:23 AM on 7/31/2011

One of the department's senior officers is now assigned to regularly patrol the downtown, Jones said, and another assists on occasion when resources are available.

Chief, would you consider once every 2 weeks regular? There hasn't been two officers assigned to the "downtown beats" in months. Routinely the department runs with less officers than is required for staffing levels. You know of what you speak.
Post Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:21 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

dgomg1

9:21 AM on 7/31/2011

Same old noise from Chief Jones, cut my staff and you won't feel any difference. I think people are finding out differently. I would only suspect that the Chief and Mayor would defend their decisions. If crime is down why are you dedicating a senior officer to patrol the business district and only during the day? Looks like window dressing to appease the DDA. If staffing is so great then why the need for all the other agencies for the rapist (s)? I'm sure the Chief feels safe with the numbers since he lives 70 miles and two counties away from "my" city as he likes to call Ann Arbor.
snoopdog

9:39 AM on 7/31/2011

If the cops had agreed to reasonable shared increases in the medical costs and pension costs , not a single cop would have been let go. The entire private sector has taken cuts across the board to keep their companies afloat and keep fellow workers employed as best they can. Public sector union workers don't give a damn about their coworkers losing their jobs. We've seen it right here as well as in the public school unions.

The cops need to stop it with their rhetoric, to see why their coworkers got whacked , they need to step in front of a mirror.
Post Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:26 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

huh7891
12:22 PM on 7/31/2011

Crime isn't down; crime reports completed by the police dept are down. The mayor and city council can reduce crime to 0 by just eliminating all police, which seems to be their plan. No police: no more (reported) crime. Reporters should ask how many calls for assistance from the public the police dept has received compared to years gone by. The Police Chief can't comment freely, for many reasons. We need a news organization that will dig beyond the retoric from both sides!
Post Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:28 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

bunnyabbot

9:54 AM on 7/31/2011

first off, when they say that the reality of the situation doesn't match that of the communities perception, I say to them perception = reality.

as a downtown frequenter, business owner, I can say that yes, there is more shoplifting. I used to see a cop in person on a weekly basis, even if it was just out the window. Driving around town I would see a couple cop cars along the way on daily basis. Now literally I will go weeks without seeing a cop car driving around and even longer to seeing a cop in person, even at a distance.

furthermore a year ago I called 911 and it took a cop 45 mins to show up. No exaggeration, more than 40 mins, less than 50 and in the middle. He was apologetic, I didn't blame him personally as it wasn't his fault.

a friend of mine called 911 a month ago, he was told no officer could come. That is what he was told by dispatch.

every citizen in the situation of "no one can respond" has the right to call the Chief directly to complain and insist on a officer responding to your call.

The Mayor and the Chief will say to there last breath there isn't a problem and stand behind their decisions, they'll never right the wrong or say cutting public safety was a mistake.
Post Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:31 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

pbehjatnia

11:28 PM on 7/31/2011

So the rise is violent crime in Ann Arbor is perception and not reality? Chief Jones, thank you for minimizing the violent crimes in the city of Ann Arbor. Has anyone asked the assault and rape victims or the shooting and stabbing victims about their present realities? If the crimes commited against them were all just perception? That they should have a feel good moment knowing that according to the numbers on Chief Jones' desk show a decrease in crime in Ann Arbor? Or that Newcombe Clark apparently wouldn't have too much problem with e.g., shootings as long as they take place in the still of the night? Or that Mayor Hieftje feels the AAPD should not be thinned out more?
The lack of any timely official city reaction to the assaults on women in Ann Arbor was stunning. A panhandler issue gets an immediate response from the city. The assaults against women got nothing. And now the response is a belittling talk down about numbers, a mayor who as campaigned tirelessly to layoff our cops hiding behind a 'no more cuts' statement, and at least one local politician wannabe telling us that if the crime happens at night, it's not so bad.
We deserve better. Better safety. Better leadership.
Don't vote for these jokers again. Send our police chief packing.
They don't deserve to live off our tax dollars.
Post Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:35 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

C. S. Gass

1:07 AM on 8/1/2011

"Hieftje also said he hasn't seen any data that shows a relationship between the number of police officers and the amount of crime in a city." -- Why does he need data? That's just common sense.

AAPD's staffing levels are unforgivably low when compared with the national standard, that, in this affluent a community, is reprehensible.

And I really get sick of the "blame the cops being greedy" crowd. Does your 'private sector' job require you to run toward danger rather than away from it? No? Does your 'private sector' job require that after everyone else runs out of that burning building, or the building with a gunman in it, that you go running in to take care of the situation? I thought not. Then HOW DARE you compare the warriors of our society to your cubicle clown, private sector job? So just stop, it's old and tired .

Cuts do need to be made. There are many places to make them, Police and Fire are not those areas.

I would say to Chief Jones, beside good job and carry on, I noted that you mentioned the oft-quoted FBI Crime Statistics. I see that the FBI does not include narcotics in their statistics. And many administrators in law enforcement quote these statistics as an indicator of how 'safe' a community is, relatively. If the FBI and most of law enforcement overlooks narcotics when determining 'safety' in a community, perhaps the city would do well to follow their example by curbing minor drug prosecutions, using the freed staffing for more important issues such as the recent CSC's.
Post Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:39 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Michigan, Israel Explore Economic Partnerships at MSU Hillel Forum
April 10, 2006
Comments (0) | Add | E-mail this to a friend
By Jeremy Moss

Michigan State University Hillel, Spartans for Israel and the Michigan Jewish Conference recently co-sponsored the Michigan Israel Economic Partnership Forum and a series of events that focused on developing economic partnerships between Israel and Michigan. The events, which were held at the State Capitol and on the MSU campus, were made possible by a grant from the Avi Chai Foundation.

The forum featured a diverse platform of speakers who spoke with students about the need to strengthen the relationship between Michigan and Israel, the war on terrorism and improving homeland security. Two of the speakers, Israeli Minister of Economic Affairs Ron Dermer and Sterling Heights (Mich.) Police Chief Barnett Jones, said they believe Michigan can learn from the State of Israel.

"If Michigan wants to transform from a manufacturing economy to a high-tech economy, Israel is on the cutting edge of that," Dermer said.

Dermer also spoke about the Palestinian party Hamas, which recently won control of the Palestinian Authority's government. He said the way to handle oppressive governments in the Middle East, like Hamas, is to actively promote freedom and democracy.

"Concessions made to spread freedom in the Middle East will be worth it in the end," he said. "If the concessions Israel makes are linked to the progress in Palestinian society, we will be moving towards peace. If it's not, it will not end the conflict, and it will not end the war; it may actually deepen it."

Jones, with more than 30 years in law enforcement, said he is a strong supporter of the United States' fight against global terrorism and feels a more proactive approach is needed. While traveling to Israel for a training mission in April 2005 with other police chiefs from around the country, he said he immediately noticed the different strategies Israeli police apply to searching for terrorists .

"Israel has taken proactive steps," Jones said. "The U.S. has a long way to go to learn how to balance the need to protect individual rights and public safety for the greater good."

Susan Herman, director of the Michigan Jewish Conference, said the forum was an excellent venue to develop partnerships between Michigan and Israel.

"We're hoping this is the beginning of collaboration between the state of Michigan, a county in Michigan, a city in Michigan with the state of Israel," she said.

The forum was co-chaired by State Rep. Scott Hummel (R – DeWitt) and State Sen. Gilda Jacobs (D – Huntington Woods). Both Michigan lawmakers were part of a legislative mission to Israel in August 2005 sponsored by the Michigan Jewish Conference. They were joined at the forum by several state legislators who serve on key appropriations and finance committees, as well several Michigan mayors and their economic and trade advisors.

"Michigan is one of the few states that doesn't have an economic representative in Israel," Jacobs said. "Having Michigan representation in Israel is essential in transforming Michigan's economy from a manufacturing to a high-tech economy."

Cindy Hughey, executive director of MSU Hillel, was excited that students were heavily involved with the planning and execution of such a successful event.

"Our students were proud to be part of an event that has the potential for creating a dynamic partnership between the state of Michigan and Israel," Hughey said.
Jeremy Moss is a sophomore at Michigan State University.
Post Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:47 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Under Lock's running of the fire department, the EMS coordinator was allegedly named without testing. Genesee County stopped sharing the paramedic millage with the City and yet the lone ECHO unit is still running. This unit costs up to $419,000 a year and is general fund because there is no more millge to operate it. The EMS coordinator is said to receive $80,000 a year. There is a shift premium in the area of $114-119 a day plus wages.

Brown needs to investigate to see if the EMS Coordinator is a higher ups girlfriend, although he is said to be married.

Lock is said to have his own affirmative action plan. Did he really ignore an unregistered gun being brought in to station #8 and being lost by a black firefighter?

This harkens back to the white firefighter that was poisoned by ipecac by two vengeful black firefighters. Cost the city a lot of money when sued for the totally disabled firefighter. The two culptits got off easy!

There are favorites in both the police and fire department. This should get interesting.

Does anyone know about an alleged embezzlement in the union hall and uneven discipline by race within the fire department?

Last edited by untanglingwebs on Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:10 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Case 38: Flint, Michigan Fire Dept. Sued for Anti-White Bias

Site

Index Almost five years after experiencing racial harassment, blatant racial discrimination, and overt racial intimidation, white Firefighter John Linker finally received a $150,000 settlement from the Flint, Michigan City Council.
Horror

Stories
Menu

B. Flint Firefighter Awarded $150,000 for "Reverse Discrimination"
Flint Council Hands Down Settlement Mon., Feb. 14, 2005

[Flint, Michigan 02-14-05] On the evening of February 14, 2005, the Flint (Michigan) City Council approved a $150,000.00 settlement to Flint Firefighter John Linker. Mr. Linker, a white male, was the victim of reverse racial discrimination when he applied for promotions to the Flint Fire Department Assistant Fire Chief position in the years 2000-2001.

The Linker case was originally dismissed but, on November 25, 2003, the Michigan Court of Appeals reversed and reinstated the Linker case. Last night, the case settled for $150,000.00.

The evidence showed that the then Flint Fire Chief, Thereon Wiggins, on an almost daily basis, used racist terms such as "honky" and "white boy". Mr. Linker was passed over for two (2) promotions despite the fact that he had superior test scores and seniority.

The Linker case is one of a number of reverse discrimination cases successfully brought against the regime of the then Flint Mayor Woodrow Stanley. Stanley was eventually recalled amid charges of reverse racial discrimination.

Mr. Linker’s attorney, Glen N. Lenhoff, criticizes Michigan Governor Jennifer Granholm on the issue of reverse discrimination. Governor Granholm supported Mayor Stanley in the Recall election, and is now taking a position against the Michigan Civil Rights Initiative – a Ballot Initiative that would combat reverse discrimination and that will be on the Ballot in November of 2006.

Middle-class white males deserve the same civil rights protection as any other group. Linker is a strong precedent in favor of such protection.

ADVERSITY.NET--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Post Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:14 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Allegedly the Browns and the Locks are good friends!

Meet Flint's new Public Safety Administrator

Posted: Apr 24, 2012 6:48 PM EDT Updated: Apr 25, 2012 11:19 AM EDT

By Lori Dougovito - bio | email

FLINT (WJRT) -
(04/24/12) - Flint's new Public Safety Administrator is ready to take on the job of restoring order and community confidence in one of the most violent cities in America.

Barnett joins was appointed by Emergency Manager Mike Brown.

He started work Monday.

The same day Brown unveiled his budget plan.

It includes deep cuts to public safety. Fifty-five positions are gone.

Those are jobs in the police and fire departments, the 911 center and 68th District Court.

"I've been chief of police over two of the safest cities in the state," says Barnett Jones, Flint's new Public Safety Administrator.

He will oversee both the fire and police departments.

Public Safety Director Alvern Lock isn't going anywhere, Brown says.

The cash strapped city now paying out roughly $220,000 for two top level public safety positions.

"I don't apologize for that because I think we need that kind of management," Brown says

"One of the most important things I want to see us accomplish very quickly is to restore the confidence in the community," Jones said. "That when they dial 911, the police will respond in a reasonable amount of time. In communities where I was a police chief, that was six or seven minutes."

"That's going to take a lot of work," Jones says.

With fewer people to do the job. The police department is losing 19 grant funded positions.

Those grants have not been renewed.

Brown says other grants are being pursued.

The fire department will lose roughly 20 positions and two fire stations are slated to close, but that could change if a federal SAFER grant is renewed.

City officials should know soon if they money has been awarded.

Jones says another top priority is re-opening the city jail.

The city is working on a public safety plan.

Brown says it could be released later this week or early next week.
Post Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:57 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: