FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Flint racing downhill to Bankruptcy?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Walling campaigned against Williamson as a "Blue Tiger" Dem, one committed to helping the community. Some would say he is a true "spend and tax Liberal". In my opinion he has no grasp of the financial situation of the city and remains entirely focused on his "so called vision" that he will try to achieve it even as we go into bankruptcy.

Water crews have been tearing up the downtown area all summer and yet we have a deficit in the water department? Everything Williamson financed through the sewer department is paid off. The shortage of money in the water and sewer accounts for pooled cash is strictly Walling's doing. City epartments pay rent when they use city vehicles and equipment and yet we allowed the county to use that same equipment free of charge. Word
on the street is some lawn equipment is now missing.

The Human Resources department and the Department of Community and Economic Development are said to be bleeding red ink and yet the friends of Eason and Walling keep their jobs no matter how unqualified they are.

Police, Fire and even AFSCME offered cuts a long time ago and they were rejected. Walling and HR must not talk because Walling keeps talking 10% cuts when the unions offered more and Poplar and Eason allegedly demanded many times more. Frankly I believe the unions over Walling and company any day.

Flint Mayor proposing 2 new taxes
New layoffs may be coming to city workers in Flint
Joel Feick
More: Bio, E-mail, News Team
FLINT (WJRT) -- (11/12/10)--
New layoffs may be coming to city workers in Flint unless their unions agree to double-digit concessions by next week.

That's the word from Flint Mayor Dayne Walling, who says he's trying to avert a $5 million shortfall in the current budget.

Walling says he'd like tentative agreements from the city's labor unions in a week for double-digit pay cuts across the board.

That includes police and firefighters, who would see their pay docked by at least 10 percent.

Flint fire crews were busy battling a kitchen fire that destroyed a home on Concorde Friday. Just before they were ready to clear the scene, we asked them about the mayor's plan to cut their wages and the impact it's having on morale.

"It's pretty poor. We've got guys that have been laid off two, three, four times, and now they're being threatened with it again," said Lt. Steve Cobb. "They're talking more station closings. It's frustrating."

Walling says he has no choice but to slash wages. The only other alternative would be to lay off more workers.

"We need to see some savings before we get to the end of December," he said. "That's why this is so urgent right now.

"I've asked all of our employees to share in a double digit concession, start saving us money so we can continue to provide services without having to go back to more layoffs."

The wage cuts would save the city almost $3 million.

The mayor expects he can save more than a million more by limiting overtime, restructuring the golf courses and cutting hours at Community Centers.

To raise new money, he wants to raise taxes with a new public safety millage and increase the cities income tax.

(Copyright ©2010 WJRT-TV/DT. All Rights Reserved.)
Post Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:19 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Rumblings in the grapevine say that all fire fighters not paid by grant money will be gone.

Over 4 million in back water bills owed?

Public safety millage? I'd trust Walling to spend that properly about as far as I could throw city hall.

Does the city still owe Consumers thousands of dollars? How long before they shut off the gas & electricity at city hall?

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:30 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Bossman
F L I N T O I D

The police unions were notified via email that even if they give the 10-12% concessions layoffs would still occur. The concessions would only serve to minimize the severity of the layoffs. In a union meeting with Walling last week, Walling indicated that without concessions and a $20 million dollar bailout bond from the state, the city would be running on fumes within 6 weeks and risk not being able to make payroll. The city is in serious peril.
Post Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:57 am 
andi03
F L I N T O I D

This somehow does NOT surprise me in the least....
Post Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:41 am 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

File for bankruptcy now!!!
Post Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:59 am 
Crowfeeder
F L I N T O I D

I expect the State to take over by Spring if not befor.Yes the situation is dire and I think getting worse by the minute.Its time for adults to be in charge.
Post Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:01 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

It's going to be a wild ride.

Take a look.... Unpaid bills....
http://www.cityofflint.com/CheckLookup/Invoices.asp

Ace Asphalt & Central Concrete.... They going to repo the streets & sidewalks?

Consumers - turning off the lights?

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Post Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:25 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

quote:
Bossman schreef:
The police unions were notified via email that even if they give the 10-12% concessions layoffs would still occur. The concessions would only serve to minimize the severity of the layoffs. In a union meeting with Walling last week, Walling indicated that without concessions and a $20 million dollar bailout bond from the state, the city would be running on fumes within 6 weeks and risk not being able to make payroll. The city is in serious peril.

Walling, Eason and Donna Poplar have never been honest in their dealings with the union negotiations.
Post Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:41 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

quote:
Dave Starr schreef:
It's going to be a wild ride.

Take a look.... Unpaid bills....
http://www.cityofflint.com/CheckLookup/Invoices.asp

Ace Asphalt & Central Concrete.... They going to repo the streets & sidewalks?

Consumers - turning off the lights?

The unpaid bilss have never been this big. An inability to pay bills is another reason the state can take over the city.
Post Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:45 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

untanglingwebs - Water crews have been tearing up the downtown area all summer and yet we have a deficit in the water department? Everything Williamson financed through the sewer department is paid off. I would have to ask. Have we paid out the Sewer lawsuit for 10mil yet that he could have settled for under 3 mill?
Word
Is this the Lawn equipment that people seen on City trucks heading out to Sugarbush?

Personally I believe every elected and appointed position except for City Council is overpaid for a city this size. On the Council issue I believe we have way more council people per ca-pita that that of the majority of other city's our size. After look at 15 different cities our size We were the only ones with more than 6 council or commissioners. My personal beliefs are to make Council full time at 35K a year and only have 5. Demanding that they actually show up for work everyday. 9-5. But that seems to be only me that feels that way.
Post Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:35 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

quote:
Ted Jankowski schreef:
untanglingwebs - Water crews have been tearing up the downtown area all summer and yet we have a deficit in the water department? Everything Williamson financed through the sewer department is paid off. I would have to ask. Have we paid out the Sewer lawsuit for 10mil yet that he could have settled for under 3 mill?
Word
Is this the Lawn equipment that people seen on City trucks heading out to Sugarbush?

Personally I believe every elected and appointed position except for City Council is overpaid for a city this size. On the Council issue I believe we have way more council people per ca-pita that that of the majority of other city's our size. After look at 15 different cities our size We were the only ones with more than 6 council or commissioners. My personal beliefs are to make Council full time at 35K a year and only have 5. Demanding that they actually show up for work everyday. 9-5. But that seems to be only me that feels that way.

The two Sewer lawsuits were paid off last year and could have been settled by Stanley and Kurtz for far far less . The water and sewer departments are separate accounts but they account for the greatest amount of pooled cash used for investments. I can think of no reason for the water fund to be so low. Do you know why? Also why are we not using grants for the infrastructure downtown?

I sincerely doubt if city equipment went to Sugarbush as that was an unsubstantated rumor. You should be careful with unsubstantiated rumors or state them as just that -a rumor.
Post Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:58 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

The person that saw it called me to see if I could TAPE it. I was at work so I couldn't get it on Video. They didn't have a camera.

Second. Sure why can't we use some of the Money for Downtown. Those developers Can't get enough of Grant money for their engineering screw ups and cost over runs. But you are correct. That lawsuit could have been settled previously. But for some reason many of us that voted for him the 1st and 2nd time thought he'd be smarter. Thus NO THIRD VOTE.
Post Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:09 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

WAKE UP FLINT. THIS GUY LACKS COMMON SENSE. The State of Michigan will take over Flint before April of 2011.

quote:
untanglingwebs schreef:
Walling campaigned against Williamson as a "Blue Tiger" Dem, one committed to helping the community. Some would say he is a true "spend and tax Liberal". In my opinion he has no grasp of the financial situation of the city and remains entirely focused on his "so called vision" that he will try to achieve it even as we go into bankruptcy.

Water crews have been tearing up the downtown area all summer and yet we have a deficit in the water department? Everything Williamson financed through the sewer department is paid off. The shortage of money in the water and sewer accounts for pooled cash is strictly Walling's doing. City epartments pay rent when they use city vehicles and equipment and yet we allowed the county to use that same equipment free of charge. Word

The Human Resources department and the Department of Community and Economic Development are said to be bleeding red ink and yet the friends of Eason and Walling keep their jobs no matter how unqualified they are.

Police, Fire and even AFSCME offered cuts a long time ago and they were rejected. Walling and HR must not talk because Walling keeps talking 10% cuts when the unions offered more and Poplar and Eason allegedly demanded many times more. Frankly I believe the unions over Walling and company any day.

Flint Mayor proposing 2 new taxes
New layoffs may be coming to city workers in Flint
Joel Feick
More: Bio, E-mail, News Team
FLINT (WJRT) -- (11/12/10)--
New layoffs may be coming to city workers in Flint unless their unions agree to double-digit concessions by next week.

That's the word from Flint Mayor Dayne Walling, who says he's trying to avert a $5 million shortfall in the current budget.

Walling says he'd like tentative agreements from the city's labor unions in a week for double-digit pay cuts across the board.

That includes police and firefighters, who would see their pay docked by at least 10 percent.

Flint fire crews were busy battling a kitchen fire that destroyed a home on Concorde Friday. Just before they were ready to clear the scene, we asked them about the mayor's plan to cut their wages and the impact it's having on morale.

"It's pretty poor. We've got guys that have been laid off two, three, four times, and now they're being threatened with it again," said Lt. Steve Cobb. "They're talking more station closings. It's frustrating."

Walling says he has no choice but to slash wages. The only other alternative would be to lay off more workers.

"We need to see some savings before we get to the end of December," he said. "That's why this is so urgent right now.

"I've asked all of our employees to share in a double digit concession, start saving us money so we can continue to provide services without having to go back to more layoffs."

The wage cuts would save the city almost $3 million.

The mayor expects he can save more than a million more by limiting overtime, restructuring the golf courses and cutting hours at Community Centers.

To raise new money, he wants to raise taxes with a new public safety millage and increase the cities income tax.

(Copyright ©2010 WJRT-TV/DT. All Rights Reserved.)

Post Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:11 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
lacyw
F L I N T O I D

I agree with everyone who is saying that a state takeover is eminent. It's coming, it's just a matter of when. I'm thinking around April too Ryan. I can't see it happening any earlier. We have a new Governor and an administration moving in in January. They will need some time to adjust and prioritize, then start making decisions, so April sounds about right. I also agree with Dave about not trusting Walling to handle any revenue for public safety properly. I'm sure it will be proposed as a millage and I'm equally sure there will be some language on there either by a capturing of funds for other entities or putting the money into the general budget that will allow that money to be spent elsewhere.

You will also notice in the articles from the paper posted by webs that Walling emphasizes having the concessions made by December. He knows if the city is found insolvent by the first of the year takeover will follow. Personally, it should have been done a long time ago, for some reason Jenny was dragging her feet about doing it. He's grasping at straws to save face, because this governor may not be so lenient.
Post Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:49 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Been hearing rumblings out of city hall that irregardless of the city's financial situation, plans are going forward to find funds to remodel the 2nd floor of city hall. I guess that's more important than public safety.

Post Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:44 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: