FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Uptown Development wants the James W. Rutherford ramp

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
FlintCityMole
F L I N T O I D

Just maybe this is all a effort by Scott Kincaid,Mayor Walling and others to put this parking ramp into the hands of the Uptown group. With plans of finishing the Hyatt hotel, and renovating the Bank Building ( in the works )on the corner of Kearsley St. & S. Saginaw St. parking is a must for this group.
Post Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:04 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
terrybankert
F L I N T O I D

quote:
FlintCityMole schreef:
Just maybe this is all a effort by Scott Kincaid,Mayor Walling and others to put this parking ramp into the hands of the Uptown group. With plans of finishing the Hyatt hotel, and renovating the Bank Building ( in the works )on the corner of Kearsley St. & S. Saginaw St. parking is a must for this group.

2nd draft

I think the ramp with all costs and obligations should be given to Uptown Reinvestment. More power to them if they can get a Mott Foundation Grant .It is not inconsistent for public money to be used to seed private investment. But we do this only if there is a long term public good, here there is.

My Councilperson Weighhill, or Council leadership Loyd or the Mayor should give us an accounting of what Upton Reinvestment has taken from the City and tax benefits recieved. How much of the DDA tax base has been diverted to Uptown Reinvestment.

Who is Uptown Reinvestment.
Who from Uptown Reinvestment will personally financially benefit.

Here is my thinking. The downtown powers to be, Kincaid and city council,Uptown Reinvestment, Mott Foundation and others set in motion the DDA/City obligation to the parking ramp to benefit their /our agenda. It will benefit us all if they are successful.

We want a successful downtown agenda. They are incontrol and should have the full obligation. That is unless there are hidden City tax dollar tax liabilities. If so the above referenced City Council and Mayor should let us know.

Speaking of agendas we need a neighborhood agenda. The only agenda most of us know about is the Land Bank programs . The council and mayor should clearly lay out their plans. There are many and a lot is under way. just remember the neighborhoods are more important to us. just lead, thats all we ask.

Last edited by terrybankert on Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:34 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

quote:
terrybankert schreef:
Speaking of agendas we need a neighborhood agenda. The only agenda most of us know about is the Land Bank programs . The council and mayor should clearly lay out their plans. There are many and a lot is under way. just remember the neighborhoods are more important to us. just lead, thats all we ask.

They're about as clear on neighborhoods as they are on everything else. Different people are calling block clubs and telling them they MUST register, or they will not get any grant money. I just got a phone call from Officer Meeks who coordinates with block clubs. She told me this is blatantly false, registration is optional & those that register will have a "mail box" at City Hall where they can share information with other block clubs. She said registering is NOT a rewquirement for any aid. I suggested to her that she needs to contact those doing the calling & get them on the correct page.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:43 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

My guess is that the "grants" being mentioned have to do with projects the groups commit to in the Neighborhood Action Sessions. Some of the "projects" I've heard mentioned are going to take money the likes of which these small groups will not have without grant funding. It may well be that neighborhood groups who haven't already, would need to organize as a unit to apply for grant money. So, is the forming of block clubs then twofold--public safety and neighborhood action projects? Is this what the administration has in mind?
Post Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:34 pm 
FlintCityMole
F L I N T O I D

Mr. Bankert do you realize UPTOWN 6 has received millions of city backed loans at no risk to them personally?

quote:
terrybankert schreef:
quote:
FlintCityMole schreef:

2nd draft

I think the ramp with all costs and obligations should be given to Uptown Reinvestment. More power to them if they can get a Mott Foundation Grant .It is not inconsistent for public money to be used to seed private investment. But we do this only if there is a long term public good, here there is.

My Councilperson Weighhill, or Council leadership Loyd or the Mayor should give us an accounting of what Upton Reinvestment has taken from the City and tax benefits recieved. How much of the DDA tax base has been diverted to Uptown Reinvestment.

Who is Uptown Reinvestment.
Who from Uptown Reinvestment will personally financially benefit.

Here is my thinking. The downtown powers to be, Kincaid and city council,Uptown Reinvestment, Mott Foundation and others set in motion the DDA/City obligation to the parking ramp to benefit their /our agenda. It will benefit us all if they are successful.

We want a successful downtown agenda. They are incontrol and should have the full obligation. That is unless there are hidden City tax dollar tax liabilities. If so the above referenced City Council and Mayor should let us know.

Post Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:41 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
FlintCityMole
F L I N T O I D

Terry why does UPTOWN get all the goods and other folks and tax payers foot the bill?
Post Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:43 pm 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

I'm with the mole. I think we should let the DDA go bankrupt. If Uptown wants the ramp they should bid on it at auction. We should also have an investigation into this shady project as well.
Post Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:04 am 
terrybankert
F L I N T O I D

quote:
FlintCityMole schreef:
Terry why does UPTOWN get all the goods and other folks and tax payers foot the bill?

That does not seem right does it?

Yet our City policy has been to rebuild downtown first then the college cooridor then the neighborhoods.

Concentrating resources has allowed success downtown. We do have a right to know who is benefiting?

However it came about,no matter who worked the deal we have a parking ramp needed for long term revitalization of downtown Flint.

The DDA/with the city of Flint has a long term obligation financial to pay off the ramp.

The City does not have the money.

If UPTOWN as a non profit organozation takes over the complete obligation for the ramp thats good for Flint.

I do not know enough to answer the questions,

1.Who is UPTOWN Reinvestment.

2.Is everthing called UPTOWN Reinvestment [UR] a non profit or is there a for profit component.

3.Are there overlapping private and public interest for the individuals on the Board of UPTOWN reinvestment?

I do not know the answer.

As long as we have arms length fair market transactions then UR is doing what we want non protifs to do, preform a public good.

In this case the Public Good is rebuilding downtown.

The greater downtown Kettering , to Mott, to U of M is turning Flint into a college town, thats good.

What we need is a focused neighborhood agenda. The Land Bank and the City are getting millions for clearance.

What we need now is to end the preoccupation with downtownn. We need to have the parking ramp issue settled.

The UR efforts will be looked back as one of Flint great success, rebuilding downtown.

The Mott Foundations involvment and funding, though I cannot tell you what it was specifically, has allowed downtown to rise again.

I work there live near by dine there, taken in theater and movies in the area. I was born in Flint from my view downtown is back.

Flint realizes the Mott Foundation is like a natural resource we have in their back yard.

I am naturally suspicious of them because they have a lot of money and I don't.

I am suspicious of UpTown reinvestment because they are putting together deals I don't understand. Buts thats life.

We should thank them and hope they continue their good work.

We always have a right to know where our tax money has gone.

So let Uptown have the ramp, just give it to them, if they can put together one of their magical mysitical financial packages with the omnipresent Mott Foundation. Thats a good thing.

It will free up city money for public saftey.

Flint today has a critical mass of private and public leadership interested in Flint. I like the current council and all its members. We have a good mayor who is in the middle of his first test of fire. I like Uptown Reinvestment. As A Flint Citizen I am grateful for the Mott Foundation and its contribution to our community.

As a citizen my preference is for the publics business to be authorized by elected mayors and councils in Flint. For the process to be fair, transparent, and free from individual enrichment not part of the public plan.

The Mayor and the City Council need to do what it takes to unburden the tax payers from the parking ramp, keep the city of Flint SAFE AND SOLVENT.

Continue to build the programs under way, citizen organization, land clearance, master plan creation and build a NEIGHBORHOOD AGENDA.

Mr. Mayor and Flint City Council when this all shakes out your political reputation and future depends on your efforts on the issues of financial solvency, public saftey and neighbothood revitalization.

posted first to Flint Talk
http://flinttalk.com/viewtopic.php?p=52436#52436

Post Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:20 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

You do not get a 108 loan without collateral, at least not since Stanley is gone. This loan had to be approved by HUD. The investors downtown have put up a significant amount of private capital. When Louis Berra, head of the Michigan HUD, came to flint he was amazed at the new growth. And this new growth and the private investments will assist us with federal monies in the future, that is if we can keep the crooks out.

Mole do not put out false info. call the Detroit HUD office and speak to Steve Spenser or Marqueritte Cox.
Post Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:38 am 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: