FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: A council member who gets it.

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Sounds like a plan for Flint. Very Happy Actually it sounds like a plan for anywhere.

St. Louis City Leader Says Police Ineffective, Tells Residents to Get Armed
Tuesday, December 02, 2008

E-Mail Print Share:

ST. LOUIS — A St. Louis city leader frustrated with the police response to rising crime called Tuesday on residents to arm themselves to protect their lives and property.

Alderman Charles Quincy Troupe said police are ineffective, outnumbered or don't care about the increase in crime in his north St. Louis ward. St. Louis has had 157 homicides in 2008, 33 more than last year at this time.

"The community has to be ready to defend itself, because it's clear the economy is going to get worse, and criminals are getting more bold," Troupe, 72, said Tuesday.

Troupe said that when he and residents approached a district police commander last year, they were told "there was nothing he could do to protect us and the community ... that he didn't have the manpower."

Police did not immediately return requests for comment. Chief Dan Isom told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch he understands Troupe's frustration but doesn't support citizens arming themselves.

Carrying guns, he said, is not a "recipe for a less violent community." Rolling Eyes

Oh really Chief well since you have "No Plan" for reducing crime how about this???

CONCEALED CARRY
Facts & Statistics
Today, there are only 5 states that do not have a right-to-carry system.

States with right-to-carry laws have lower overall violent crime rates, compared to states without right-to-carry laws. In states whose laws respect the citizen's right-to-carry guns for self defense the total violent crime is 13% lower, homicide is 3% lower, robbery is 26% lower and aggravated assault is 7% lower. (Data: Crime in the United States 1996, FBI Uniform Crime Reports)

Right-to-carry license holders are more law-abiding than the general public. In Florida, for example, the firearm crime rate among license holders, annually averaging only several crimes per 100,000 licensees, is a fraction of the rate for the state as a whole. Since the carry law went into effect in 1987, less than 0.02% of Florida carry permits have been revoked because of gun crimes committed by license holders. (Florida Dept. of State) Research reports printed in "More Guns, Less Crime", John R. Lott, Jr., the John M. Olin Visiting Law and Economics Fellow at the University of Chicago, examined data ranging from gun ownership polls to FBI crime rate data for each of the nation's 3.045 counties over a 1977 too 1994 time span. Lott's research amounts to the largest data set that has ever been put together for any study of crime, let alone for the study of gun control. Among Prof. Lott's findings:

• While arrest and conviction rates being the most important factors influencing crime.... non discretionary concealed-handgun laws are also important, and they are the most cost-effective means of reducing crime.

• Non discretionary or "shall-issue" carry permit laws reduce violent crime for two reasons. They reduce the number of attempted crimes because criminals can't tell which potential victims are armed, being able to defend themselves. Secondly, victims who do have guns are in a much better position to defend themselves. Concealed carry laws deter crime because they increase the criminal's risk of doing business.

• States with the largest increases in gun ownership also have the largest decreases in violent crime. And, it is high crime, urban areas, and neighborhoods with large minority populations that experience the greatest reductions in violent crime when law-abiding citizens are allowed to carry concealed handguns.

• There is a strong relationship between the number of law-abiding citizens with permits and the crime rate--as more people obtain permits there is a greater decline in violent crime rates.

• For each additional year that a concealed handgun law is in effect the murder rate declines by 3%, rape by 2% and robberies by more than 2%.

• Murder rates decline when either more women or more men carry concealed handguns, but the effect is especially pronounced for women. An additional woman carrying a concealed handgun reduces the murder rate for women by about three to four times more than an additional man carrying a concealed handgun reduces the rate for men.

• The benefits of concealed handguns are not limited to those who carry them. Others get a free ride from the crime fighting efforts of their fellow citizens.

• The benefits of right-to-carry are not limited to people who share the characteristics of those who carry the guns. The most obvious example of this "halo" effect, is the drop in murders of children following the adoption of non discretionary laws. Arming older people not only may provide direct protection to these children, but also causes criminals to leave the area.

• The increased presence of concealed handguns "does not raise the number of accidental deaths or suicides from handguns."

Post Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:30 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Carrying guns, he said, is not a "recipe for a less violent community."

People tend to be really polite when they don't know who's carrying.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:40 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
andi03
F L I N T O I D

No way in hell would I carry but sure as stuff, sometimes I'd want my husband to be able to. Wink
Post Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:03 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

If he has a handgun, make sure you know how to use it.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:40 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Watch front sight squeeze trigger keeping shooting till threat is over. There ya go Andi. Laughing
Post Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:06 pm 
Steve Myers
Site Admin
Site Admin

The Saturday Afternoon Shootout! Jerry Brewer, Brian Jeffs and Ron Gibson talk about gun rights laws, how to be a responsible gun owner and 2nd amendment, Open Carry vs Concealed Carry.

http://micpl.com/

Post Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:28 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
FlintConservative
F L I N T O I D

quote:
twotap schreef:
Watch front sight squeeze trigger keeping shooting till threat is over. There ya go Andi. Laughing

Post Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:23 pm 
andi03
F L I N T O I D

Hmmm. FC..."When in doubt, empty the magazine"....that's what my grandpa said every time he made a trip to the outhouse in the 40's. Smile
Post Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:27 pm 
FlintConservative
F L I N T O I D

quote:
andi03 schreef:
Hmmm. FC..."When in doubt, empty the magazine"....that's what my grandpa said every time he made a trip to the outhouse in the 40's. Smile

lol
Post Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:24 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Excellent Post!!!
Post Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:35 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: