FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Open chat

Topic: Dodge City Flint
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
twotap
F L I N T O I D

quote:
3) Bloomington is not as SEGREGATED as Flint; Genesee County is the most segregated county in Michigan. Bloomington is 4% African-American; Flint is 53%.

Oops I think you might have hit on something there. check to see who's doing 90% of the violent crime in Flint
Post Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:55 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

BAH836 < Sorry, I haven't seen anything you've posted. Put it in again.

Demeralda< He I only responded to one aspect of that convoluted jibberish. I would rather discuss this with information and reasoning. Posting someone elses thesis isn't a valid arguement. While there were some good points. They didn't provide the full back ground. They still picked and choose only the FACTS they want to use. Instead of using all of them. Especailly the ones that OVERWHELMING disporve their thesis. However, discuss each one if needed. I just pulled the one that if one could just understand that one item would help to bring people to the point were they will reason on facts not just half of them.

I noticed someone decided to attempt to bring race into the issue. Well, Wrong again. There are many Poverty stricken areas in the South the population is higher minority populated than Flint is and have much lower crime rates.
Post Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:09 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
twotap
F L I N T O I D

quote:
I noticed someone decided to attempt to bring race into the issue.

Hey Ted did you check the crime stats for Flint to see who's committing the vast majority of violent crime?
Post Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:51 am 
strattonsigns
F L I N T O I D

What do you guys think of a "workfare" system where the local government "hires" these at risk kids and uses them to say....clean up vacant lots? Provide them with some much needed structure and a little moola.
Post Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:10 pm 
Public D
F L I N T O I D

quote:
twotap schreef:
Hey Ted did you check the crime stats for Flint to see who's committing the vast majority of violent crime?

Wouldn't it be a violation of Michigan's new Anti-Affirmative Action amendment to catalogue crime stats by race?

TT: "Doh!"

http://www.hr676.org

http://www.pnhp.org/publications/the_national_health_insurance_bill_hr_676.php
Post Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:06 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

I don't know about that but it would sure be against the rules in the lib playbook. Anyhow PD here it is enjoy. Laughing
http://www.state.mi.us/msp/cjic/ucrstats/crime_reports.htm
Post Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:14 pm 
Public D
F L I N T O I D

You'll always have 2004, TT. How romantic.

Where can I look up the statistics on white collar crime by race?

http://www.hr676.org

http://www.pnhp.org/publications/the_national_health_insurance_bill_hr_676.php
Post Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:32 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

quote:
strattonsigns schreef:
What do you guys think of a "workfare" system where the local government "hires" these at risk kids and uses them to say....clean up vacant lots? Provide them with some much needed structure and a little moola.

The city employees union would complain that the work was being taken from them. The same thing would happen if there was an attempt to get police officers out of the station & onto the streets & replace them with civilians.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:35 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
squash
F L I N T O I D

[/quote]Hey Ted did you check the crime stats for Flint to see who's committing the vast majority of violent crime?
quote:

Black people commit most of the violent crimes in Flint.
Now that you've gotten the answer you're looking for what's your logical conclusion? How does that color your world?
Post Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:53 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Now that you've gotten the answer you're looking for what's your logical conclusion? How does that color your world?

My conclusion?? Black people as a race commit violent crimes way out of proportion to their percentage of population. That is a pretty simple factual conclusion. What would yours be??? Confused
Post Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:27 pm 
squash
F L I N T O I D

My conclusion is that things are not that simple.
Post Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:52 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

quote:
twotap schreef:

quote:

My conclusion?? Black people as a race commit violent crimes way out of proportion to their percentage of population. That is a pretty simple factual conclusion. What would yours be??? Confused

Well, considering Flint is about 65 percent black people. Is it surprising that most of the crime in Flint is committed by Black people. Now, as long as I've lived in Flint. Most of the crimes committed against my family. thefts etc. haven't been black people that committed them. Yet, they do seem to get the mojority fo the blame.

Skin color doesn't predestinate one to criminal behaviour. But, ask adam, he will have some convoluted formula to prove that it does!
Post Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:07 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Josh Freeman
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Dave Starr schreef:
quote:
strattonsigns schreef:

The city employees union would complain that the work was being taken from them. The same thing would happen if there was an attempt to get police officers out of the station & onto the streets & replace them with civilians.

They are using local prisoners to do that now. The unions, at least in public, have said very little. I know that they do park work, they do janitorial work, I think that they have spruced community centers too...
Post Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:35 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address  Reply with quote  
BAH836
F L I N T O I D

quote:
BAH836 schreef:
quote:
Ted Jankowski schreef:
Marko, QUite Honestly,

Number one really won't have that much of an affect. We first need to change the image of our police officers in the city. That will only happen when Flint gets good leadership. We need police in the schools building trust, being seen as Law Enforcement, not "the Man" abusing his authority. In all honesty Chief Dicks has already made some good changes that keep officers out on the streets longer. Turn around time has been a major problem in Flint. Not nessearily the number of officers.

I agree that the city is in need of better leadership throughout, however, I have several questions. What experiences do you have that lead you to believe that the officers in the schools (or city in general) are not building trust with the students (or citizens) and are viewed as "the man" who is abusing his authority? You also mention that Dicks has made good changes that keep officers on the streets longer. Can you provide examples of these changes and how they have helped keep officers on the streets longer? By "turn around time," I believe that you mean response time. Have any of these changes made for better response time? These changes would have to be extremely drastic to offset the damage that the loss of 48 police officers had on response time, therefore making the loss of 48 officers a "major" problem with respect to response times.
Post Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:17 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

I agree that the city is in need of better leadership throughout, however, I have several questions. What experiences do you have that lead you to believe that the officers in the schools (or city in general) are not building trust with the students (or citizens) and are viewed as "the man" who is abusing his authority? You also mention that Dicks has made good changes that keep officers on the streets longer. Can you provide examples of these changes and how they have helped keep officers on the streets longer? By "turn around time," I believe that you mean response time. Have any of these changes made for better response time? These changes would have to be extremely drastic to offset the damage that the loss of 48 police officers had on response time, therefore making the loss of 48 officers a "major" problem with respect to response times.

As far as officers in general, Let's look back to the resent problem at Nothern. When police responded to a disruption in cafeteria. I'm basing my view on reports of those that were there and what was reported to the School Board since I was in attendance at that meeting. Plus discussions with friends who have children in the Flint schools. Plus the policy discussions I've had with many parents, police and board members. Ideas and attitudes concerning whether they should or shouldn't wear uniforms when they are in the school. It would take hours to go through all the information I use to base my opinion on. Actions and over reactions to police in the schools to police response. The only way to over come poeples perceptions, valid or invalid is to work to change the image of the police in Flint. This is done through good leadership. One of my key points would be that when I was in Flint schools, I would not have been scared or offended at officers coming in with Stun Guns at the ready. Mostly because, I wouldn't have been in involved in the problem. I'm told that in the black community, many see police as part of the problem. Sometimes a valid arguement and other times not. But, again, the only way to change perceptions is with more visual proper involvement. It takes 10 positive deeds to negate one bad. Even then people still need more reassurance.

Cheif Dicks changed the way suspects were booked and brought into the department. The old system allowed for officers to be there and sit around without question about why they were there. The way they do it now. They are back out on the streets rather quickly and there are no excuses for why an officer is sitting around in the department. (I thought I mentioned that somewhere on this board. There is more that i don't know about, thus the reason i wanted to interview him. I'm told there are many other changes he has made. But, I'm not going to sing his praises for everything. Unless I'm goign to get an interview. He has so far declined. So i have no intention of digging any further to help his image. If he doesn't want to, why should I. Turn around time I mean that the paperwork system is one that now the officer brings in a suspect and is right back out on the street.

As far as response time. The Hiring of 48 police officers didn't increase response time any. Why would loosing them? The hiring of those officers after the takeover resulted in a 75 percent (per-capita) increase in Crime. That doesn't make any sense to me. So in three years with 48 officers more than in 2003 your saying response times wer up?

The only thing that had any affect on crime was the opening of the City jail. Sad but true! Then the Don Closed it. Seems that the Impound lot didn't make all the millions he claimed it would. It didn't even make enough to keep it open a year. It was only able to be open just before reelection time. Funny how that works.
Post Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:32 am 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: