FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: REPRESENTATIVE LEE GONZALES:FRI. National Convention blog

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
terrybankert
F L I N T O I D

Terry Bankert is facilitating this blog for State Representative Lee Gonzales who will post regularly to Flint Talk During the convention here. at
http://flinttalk.com/viewtopic.php?p=34184#34184
Talked abouty on Flint Talk Radio podcast
http://www.stickam.com/viewMedia.do?mId=180550767

The Lee Gonzales Convention blogg site is at,
http://leegonzales.blogspot.com/

Thank You Steve Meyers for permission.

Terry Bankert

Last edited by terrybankert on Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:31 am; edited 7 times in total

Post Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:44 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
terrybankert
F L I N T O I D

LEE GONZALES DEMOCRATIC NATIONAL CONVENTION BLOG

The Democratic nomination of Barack Obama as the next President of the United States is just afew days away!

To have the chance to represent local Democrats at the Democratic National Convention is exhilarating and humbling. Highly thought-provoking is another way of describing what I'm feeling in preparation to do my best as a convention delegate.

We are witnessing an unprecedented transformation of American politics, along with a realignment of the electorate in the quest for the Presidency. The results of Nov. 4 will be a defining moment for our nation.

Through this BLOG I plan to provide daily updates on a delegate's role and other convention happenings. I recognize the value of this opportunity to dialogue and work with Democrats from all walks of life.

We all view the world though many lenses and individual experiences. In my case, I'm a son,

husband, father, grandfather, proud of my family, university graduate, a prideful American & patriot, proud of my ethnic heritage and an elected state representative. Because of these motivations, I am very passionate about serving our community and moving it forward.

Historian David McCullough eloquently observes in the following passage about our nation’s history, "The American experiment was from its start an unfulfilled promise. There was much work to be done. There were glaring flaws to correct, unfinished business to attend to. Improvements and necessary adjustments to devise in order to keep pace with the onrush of growth and change and expanding opportunities."

From my perspective, this is why the 2008 Democratic National Convention is so vitally important because it is an essential component of the course of human events in our great nation. So please stay tuned and share your thoughts.

LEE

8/19/08
http://flinttalk.com/viewtopic.php?p=34446#34446
77/1071

Post Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:46 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
terrybankert
F L I N T O I D

LEE GONZALES DEMOCRATIC NATIONAL CONVENTION BLOG

On August 19th in the evening Senator Clinton hosted a delegate conference call to discuss this year? historic convention. As a Hillary Clinton delegate, I was asked to participate in the call. In the spirit of the 2008 Olympic Games, she passionately affirmed that Senator Obama and our Democratic Party must cross the finish line in first place to ensure a better America.

Senator Clinton mentioned she has been and is working closely with Senator Obama and his team to make sure we have an exciting, energized and unified convention. Senator Clinton stated she would cast her superdelegate vote for Senator Obama, as well as release her delegates next Wednesday. (By the way, I? still learning procedurally how the roll-call process will work.)

It was an inspiring dialogue that included background on the Democratic Party Platform. She outlined some of the key elements calling for national healthcare (not as an aspiration, but a real action plan), the need to value families rather than talking family values, and an economic message that is forward-looking and engages entrepreneurs and innovators as we compete in the new global knowledge economy.

It sounds like we will soon know our Democratic V.P. candidate, a selection I? certain who will complement Senator Barack Obama. In order to win this race for President and cross the finish line in first place, this absolutely calls for your support, advice and mobilization.

LEE

8/21/08
or
http://www.flinttalk.com/viewtopic.php?p=34512#34512

Post Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:01 am 
terrybankert
F L I N T O I D

Genesee County delegates preparing for Democratic National Convention
by Kristin Longley | The Flint Journal
Thursday August 21, 2008, 5:34 PM

After more than three decades with the Democratic Party, state Rep. Lee Gonzales is finally realizing one of his political dreams.
See
http://www.mlive.com/flintjournal/index.ssf/2008/08/genesee_county_delegates_prepa.html
The Flint Township resident will join at least six other locals next week as Michigan delegates to the Democratic National Convention in Denver.

The coveted spot will afford the delegates a first-hand view of a historic presidential nomination, as U.S. Sen. Barack Obama becomes the first black nominee of any major political party.

"It's exhilarating," Gonzales said as he prepared for his Sunday departure. "This is a valuable opportunity."

For Gonzales and at least two other area delegates, this is the first time they will travel to the convention, where their only official duties are to hobnob with party leaders, cheer wildly and cast their votes for a presidential nominee.

A typical day at the convention includes meetings and convention business, but there's usually time to squeeze in some sightseeing and local nightlife.

First-time delegate Michael Behm, a Flint attorney, said he's received a flood of invitations to convention events, meetings and discussions. He already has mapped out a calendar of the most interesting occasions.

"It will be really interesting just from a fly-on-the-wall perspective to see how things operate," he said. "I'm not entirely sure what's going to occur, but I think it will be fun."

In an effort to share the experience with others, Gonzales has started a convention blog. He plans to write about the daily goings-on, important announcements and his thoughts on being a delegate.

"The events are really varied and diverse and I want to take in as much as possible," he said. "Denver is a really neat community, and each day's schedule is completely full."

Technically, Obama is to get 59 of the state's delegates, while Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton is to get 69, according to a formula proposed by the state party and approved by the Democratic National Committee. There also is a contingent of unpledged superdelegates.

But the Michigan Democratic Party expects all of the Clinton delegates to vote for Obama, spokeswoman Liz Kerr has said.

Local Clinton delegates include Gonzales, Behm, Genesee County Democratic Party Chairman Ron Duncan and Flint resident Vicki Price. Obama delegates include Genesee County Democratic Black Caucus chairwoman Gerri Hall, county party Secretary Sally Shaheen Joseph and former state Rep. Floyd Clack, husband of current state Rep. Brenda Clack. Both U.S. Rep. Dale E. Kildee of Flint and Lt. Gov. John D. Cherry Jr. of Vienna Township are superdelegates.

Gonzales said he also is looking forward to learning the vice presidential pick.

With the convention opening Monday, Obama has remained quiet about his running mate. But he plans to appear with the person Saturday, after the pick is announced via text message to supporters.

Possible running mates are Govs. Kathleen Sebelius of Kansas and Tim Kaine of Virginia, and Sens. Evan Bayh of Indiana and Joe Biden of Delaware.

8/22/08
or

Post Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:10 pm 
terrybankert
F L I N T O I D

LEE GONZALES DEMOCRATIC CONVENTION BLOG
Our Grandson Arrives Shortly Before Takeoff
and Dems Preach Party Unity on Sunday!!

As the clock was ticking around 8 hours prior to my flight taking off at noon from Bishop International Airport , a spectacular family event occurred which helped clear my family schedule for my convention duties. Our daughter Gretchen and her husband Ethan had their first child early Sunday morning. Their son Asher Quinn Davidson weighed in at seven pounds, four ounces and twenty inches tall. My wife Brenda and I are now grandparents for the third time, and Asher now complements Zachary (age 13) and Abigail (age 20 months).

Talk about just in time delivery! You can probably imagine the uneasiness I felt concerning how to balance my family life and my first-time opportunity and commitment as a delegate to the 2008 Democratic National Convention. My daughter's wonderful delivery created an exciting weekend, along with Senator Obama's announcement on Saturday naming Sen. Joe Biden as our Democratic Party VP nominee.

As I arrived in Denver late Sunday afternoon, it is crystal clear how Senator Barack Obama and Senator Hillary Clinton are working together in regard to the nuts and bolts of the convention and toward party unity and mobilization. Additionally, on Sunday afternoon the Credentials Committee restored full voting rights to Michigan and Florida .

I have received several e-mails from both Senators and I am certain Convention Delegates from across the country will reach synergistic intensity by week's end. I intend to go each of their gatherings and other meetings.

Now, as Democrats, we must also engage America . At times, I like to draw parallels to our nation's founding fathers. The founders cared our country's future and the opinion of the future. This is why our convention is so vitally important. Conventions matter, given what happens at these assemblages, what is being said and what will be offered as ideas to ensure a better America .

In this blog, I'm sharing some of my experiences leading up to the convention. I hope all this technology will continue to link from Denver as I finish these final edits as the plane approaches Denver . This will get emailed to my friend and confidant Terry Bankert, who is facilitating this BLOG with his know-how, verve and focus, which I very much appreciate.

Friends in the Flint area, et. al., let's stay in touch!

LEE
8/25/08

Post Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:01 pm 
terrybankert
F L I N T O I D

LEE GONZALES CONVENTION BLOG 8/26/08

SYZYGY & the DYNAMIC DEMOCRATIC CONVENTION

It is the wee hours of the morning after a 16-hour convention day on Monday. Starting off with a Gov. Granholm sponsored Michigan Delegation breakfast with U.S. Senator Carl Levin and Illinois Senator Richard Durbin, one could feel the anticipation of the official first day.

I am struck by the passion and conviction expressed by many individuals I have spoken to concerning the need to change the direction of our country.
Senator Edward Kennedy and Michelle Obama both gave very poignant remarks on pocketbook issues and the American Dream.

Sen. Kennedy pledged he would see Obama in the White House. Mrs. Obama wspoke inspiring words about the possibility of a new America. The convention was truly moved by each presentation that made the first day a resounding success. Prior to their remarks were a myriad of national leaders giving their viewpoints on the strengths of our Democratic Party.

There were few protesters outside the Pepsi Center where the convention is being held. While the media seems hell bent on finding wedge issues between Senators Obama and Clinton, the vast majority of delegates is already organizing, energizing and mobilizing. More on these developments will be provided in future BLOGS.

The word syzygy comes to mind from my Harvard Kennedy School of Government training back in 2003. Syzygy is the shortest word in English with three y’s, and is a term in the field of astronomy relating to an eclipse where the earth, sun and moon reach a rare alignment.

We need to reach syzygy when it comes to aligning the supporters of Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton in order to take back the White House for the betterment of our nation. Please let me know what your think. Good night.

LEE
8/26/08

Post Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:36 am 
terrybankert
F L I N T O I D

LEE GONZALES CONVENTION BLOG 8/27/08
My Viewpoint on Hillary Clinton's Speech Tuesday at DNC

It is no secret that I am a Hillary Clinton supporter, and thus, proud of her inspiring message about strongly supporting Barack Obama, along with a sincere call for party unity. Hillary cares deeply about America 's future, and passionately believes we ought to imagine an even greater nation--and that Democrats can deliver on this aspiration.

As she spoke about Democratic Party ideals, Sen. Clinton pointed out in the race for the White House we must keep going, and it is time to get going in terms of mobilizing. I took it as a call to arms for the Democratic Team of Obama-Biden. She included gracious comments for both Barack and Michelle Obama, and that was greeted with enthusiasm by convention delegates.

Overall, the speech was very well received. It will be interesting to hear what the political analysts will say with their coverage.

It would be inaccurate to say we have one hundred percent harmonious consensus relating to Sen. Obama's nomination, but the naysayer numbers are dwindling in my opinion. There are a few strident supporters in both camps. But in life we know at times there are arguments among family members that must be resolved so it is not unusual to have some level of bickering between campaigns in the same political party, which need resolution.

In my opinion Hillary Clinton's speech was right on target and we will see how it plays out for the unity aspects of this campaign for President. But my guess is it will help with our success. Let me know what you think.

LEE
8/27/08

Post Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:56 am 
terrybankert
F L I N T O I D

LEE GONZALES CONVENTION BLOG 8/28/08

Bravissimo! Bravissimo! Bravissimo!

That is Italian for Democrats kick butt. For the third consecutive day the 2008 Democratic National Convention gets more exciting and more uniting!

On Wednesday the convention nominated Barack Obama as our Presidential nominee by acclamation and Joe Biden as our VP nominee.

It really is exciting to participate as a delegate and listen to forward-looking ideas that embrace our nation and provide a blueprint for taking our nation in a new direction. Among the many stars showcased at the convention, four individuals have achieved the alpha star (the brightest star) category.

They are Michelle Obama, Hillary Clinton, Bill Clinton and Senator Joe Biden--and in their speeches a common thread describes a fairly remarkable Democratic Party transformation.

President Bill Clinton's remarks included the need to rebuild the American Dream and restore America as a respected leader in the world community. Clinton was engaging and convincing in his support of the Obama-Biden campaign.

Senator Joe Biden also gave an impressive speech. He observed how Barack Obama is a great American story and that from their upbringings they share a common story. In addition to telling his life story, Sen. Biden covered foreign policy and spoke about pocketbook issues for everyday Americans.

What a historic day! Inspiring! Uniting! Stay tuned for Thursday evening.

LEE
8/28/08

Post Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:24 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Will The Anointed One wear a toga and a laurel wreath on his head for his speech in front of the Parthenon tonight?

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:38 am 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Im wondering if their will be any virgin sacrifices.

Link
Post Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:01 am 
strattonsigns
F L I N T O I D

He better get down to New Orleans and lower the sea levels next week...looks like they're gonna need the Messiah there.
Post Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:52 am 
Adam Ford
F L I N T O I D

quote:
twotap schreef:

I don't think paid prostitutes count as virgin sacrifices.

http://www.startribune.com/politics/national/conventions/26226339.html
Post Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:20 am 
terrybankert
F L I N T O I D

LEE GONZALES CONVENTION BLOG 8/28/08
Title: Flint Area Well Represented

Flint and Genesee County have been very well represented at this shining 2008 Democratic National convention! Along with all the delegates whose names have been listed in the Flint Journal, guests attending from the Flint area include Jay Kommarreddi, Susan Soderstrom and Brenda Williams.
Superior Image, a Flint area business located in my House district on Flushing Road, printed Denver "08 " Michigan Delegation" windbreakers, which were provided as mementos by Gov. Granholm and Lt. Gov. John Cherry. A tote bag was provided by the Lt. Gov. as well. I want to note these items are American & Union made.

So while all eyes are on the Big Speech tonight at Invesco Field, I just wanted to let our community know about our local participation. Everybody understands the historical significance of this year's convention and its great to witness here in Denver the dynamic circle of friends who support our cause and our vision. By the way, I plan on posting some convention photos on this BLOG in the next few days.

LEE
8/28/08

Post Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:03 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

quote:
twotap schreef:

They were, but they sent Bill out to search for virgins, and.................

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:47 am 
terrybankert
F L I N T O I D

Title: Speaking About Our Nation's Promise!

While speaking in new venues, Barack Obama laid out his vision about how the U.S.A. should work. Obama was impressive in describing America's promise, and saying, "this race is not about me, it's about you (the American people)."

The speech was inspiring and intimate and at one point he stated, "I really am one of you." As he boldly attacked the status quo, he was thorough and he filled his remarks with detail. Obama said what America thirsts for is a new politics for a new time.

Barack Obama's speech was crystal clear and resonated as an insistent summons to move forward as we face a turning point in our nation's history.

Knocking it out of the ball park at Invesco Field in Denver, Obama delivered a hit heard around the world! He addressed it all, from pocketbook issues and the American Dream to national security and the need to improve our standing in world affairs. It was an electrifying event with 85,000 people in attendance. What a great experience I have had as a first-time convention delegate!

Wow! Democrats have reached the unity phase. We are organized, energized and mobilized. It is all about our nation's promise

Lee Gonzales
8/29/08

Post Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:30 am 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: