FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: You're Invited to Boot the Don
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
LakeWoman50
F L I N T O I D

Josh The Whole City Council needs to be recalled too. Everyone single one of them, they are apart of the problem as well. We need a new mayor and 9 city council persons.
Post Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:26 am 
Josh Freeman
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Dave Starr schreef:
Josh, and several people here, seem to feel that everything bad in Flint is 100% the Mayor's fault. Is the council 100% blameless in all this? At the council meetings I've attended, the contact I've had with council members, all I hear is the Mayor this, the Mayor that.
Appointing cronies? Name one politician that hasn't.
Finances; isn't the council supposed to be a check on spending? What have they done?
I'm not a politician or into politics at all. I'm just a guy that sees the Mayor at least trying to do something more than make downtown and the college areas into a clone of Ann Arbor. I never see our representatives on the council come to the neighborhoods they represent and ask the people what their concerns are.
We had a problem on our block with dogs. Our councilwoman, Carolyn Sims, was contacted to see if she could help. We got an letter saying she couldn't do anything because of the Mayor's policy about contacting departments without going through him, along with 4 pages of memos to that effect. She also sent a copy on the referral slip she sent to the mayor's office. Why waste our money on all those copies? It looked like an attempt to avoid our issue. We talked to David Dicks about the problem & he met with animal control at the house in question the next day & got the problem solved.
It's all politics, and it disgusts me.

I see this whole thing as certain people being po'd because their guy lost the election & willing to do whatever it takes to boot Don.

Dave -

I think that I have been pretty consistent in putting the blame on both parties. In the thread dealing with the Charter I advocated for not changing the Charter simply because we have a Council that is too inept to use the one we have.

The point is this. You don't keep cronies on the payroll when you are laying off police and fire. You don't keep spending money when you know we don't have any. The Mayor spent it and the Council didn't stop him. They both stink. It's odd.... you acknowledge that the Mayor is doing these things, but try to justify it by saying that the Council is bad too. So if they are both equally bad - that makes it OK?

As for Sims sending you a letter after asking for something - I know from experience - if I asked for something... it would be freezing in Hell before it ever got done... simply because it was me that asked. Never mind that I was doing it for a tax-paying resident who was in need of a City service... If you want to talk about stinking politics... disgusting politics....there it is.

As the Joker once said... "This town needs an enema." We have a huge blockage to forward movement - our City Government.
Post Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:56 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address  Reply with quote  
LakeWoman50
F L I N T O I D

What about the defunct City Council Members?
Post Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:16 am 
LakeWoman50
F L I N T O I D

All questions regarding this effort to recall Flint Mayor Don Williamson should be directed to Alex Harris at (810) 238 – 9017 or (810) 625 - 4192
Post Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:16 am 
Josh Freeman
F L I N T O I D

quote:
LakeWoman50 schreef:

I know of at least one that really needs to go.
Post Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:20 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address  Reply with quote  
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Josh Freeman schreef:
As the Joker once said... "This town needs an enema." We have a huge blockage to forward movement - our City Government.

Agreed. But, is a recall now the answer? How much longer is the Mayor's term? Would it be better to wait until the election & toss the whole bunch?

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:24 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Josh Freeman
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Dave Starr schreef:
quote:
Josh Freeman schreef:

Agreed. But, is a recall now the answer? How much longer is the Mayor's term? Would it be better to wait until the election & toss the whole bunch?

The Mayor has 3 more years... the City Council is up for election next year.
Post Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:28 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Josh Freeman schreef:

Agreed. I care about the ordinary neighborhoods, and I see Don doing more for them than the council does. I also have a dislike of partisan politics. The Democrats have run this area for so long they seem to think they're entitled to the positions, and anyone that disagrees is the enemy.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:29 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Demeralda
F L I N T O I D

You guys are like SUPER PARANOID about partisan politics. My, my... the sky is falling! The Dems are out to get us!

Look, I didn't live here when the Don first got elected, and I didn't even know what party he was. He currently calls himself a democrat, though he's always donated to Republicans. I don't know, don't care. The Council may have a pissing match with him, but see, I don't care about that either -- I'm sure there's enough blame to go around, and enough corruption, and enough ineptitude.

However, THE DON IS SPECIAL in this regard. He's inept, and he flaunts it. I don't care about how poorly educated he is. There are two or three things he's done, that he keeps doing, that are unforgivable.

1) His stubbornness and arrogance costs the city more than the original problem. SEE lawsuit over Genesee Towers; see lawsuit over flooding; see lawsuit over banning newspaper sales in city hall. He doesn't even understand the difference between LEGAL and ILLEGAL.

2) He lies endlessly in an effort to hold on to power, both for himself and his cronies. City government is JAMMED FULL of people who are overpaid and underqualified.

I know all politicians reside in a grey area of morality, but this is beyond the pale. This is someone completely on the dark side. It's about SCALE. People make mistakes, but it's like his are made with wanton abandon.

If you can't see that at all, there's nothing else to say.

Post Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:55 pm 
Josh Freeman
F L I N T O I D

Well said Dem!
Post Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:33 pm 
Opinionated
F L I N T O I D

I second Josh's "Well said Dem" comment!

Coming at it personally, I can tell you that Demeralda hit it perfectly square on the nose (and that can really hurt)! If you don't think the Don should be recalled, take a long, hard look at her #1. This is not an opinion - these are facts. She is 100% correct in saying that his stubbornness and arrogance has cost the city more than the original problem. Noting the lawsuits were the best justifications for that. For example, it costs the taxpayers and city literally thousands of dollars each day in court and legal fees, just to not pay on decisions that have already proven the city liable! Why prolong paying on a situation when you'll end up paying much, much more in the future?

It's very true - Williamson doesn't understand the difference between legal and illegal.

Post Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:28 pm 
LakeWoman50
F L I N T O I D

lol ALL OF THEM NEED TO GO, watch channel 17, its a comedy hour! They all need to go, lets clean house!

quote:
Josh Freeman schreef:
quote:
LakeWoman50 schreef:

I know of at least one that really needs to go.
Post Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:37 pm 
Mark Bonto
F L I N T O I D

What? Did someone mention watching channel 17? A comedy hour? Oh, sorry. I thought you were talking about me until I read the phrase "clean house"! Very Happy

Watch national award-winning “Comedy On Tap” Thursdays and Fridays at 8pm. Both on Comcast channel 17. Go to my website at: http://markbonto.com and listen to me, and see me live at The White Horse on the radio: Wednesdays 7-7:30am on WKUF 94.3 FM.
Post Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:50 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
andi03
F L I N T O I D

****Oh, sorry. I thought you were talking about me until I read the phrase "clean house"!****

I'd love to clean house, I can't find my vacuum....Smile

How's the TOPS thing comin'? Hint hint...

Post Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:15 pm 
LakeWoman50
F L I N T O I D

Why is Alex and the gang just picking on Mayor Don??? What about City Council, whom a lot of them have been around before the mayor. I think city council is just as much to blame.
Post Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:04 am 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: