FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: You're Invited to Boot the Don
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Mellow D
F L I N T O I D

Post Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:08 pm 
andi03
F L I N T O I D

Personally, I love number 2....Smile

Post Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:43 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Committee for a better Flint - sounds like Walling.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:53 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Public D
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Dave Starr schreef:

Because he's the only one who would want such a crazy thing? What nerve!

Why do the same people who rail against and relish Kwame's demise fail to see that Williamson is as bad – or worse – for the city of Flint?

Dollar for dollar, I'm pretty sure the Don does have him beat. Oh well. Let's blame Walling for both, right?

http://www.hr676.org

http://www.pnhp.org/publications/the_national_health_insurance_bill_hr_676.php
Post Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:11 am 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

This is how it's billed on the college calendar:

Meeting for Committee for a Better Flint

Date: August 14, 2008
Times: 07:00 PM - 08:00 PM
Room: MMB 1130
Hosted by: Committee for a Better Flint
Contact/Phone: Alex Harris - (810) 238-9017
Event Type: Community - Open to Public
---
Source:
http://www.mcc.edu/calendar/elist.php?year=2008&month=08&day=14&location=&epart=...More...
Post Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:29 am 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Well Pd does have a point. Detroit is already a festering boil on the ass of Michigan what more could Kwame do to make it worse and besides they love him down there. On the other hand Flint being just a small pimple does have some hope.

Last edited by twotap on Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:08 am; edited 1 time in total

Post Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:43 am 
Opinionated
F L I N T O I D

twotap, Public D has more than just a point. It's an excellent one. The Don has 'em all beat. When the Don starts making Woodrow's days look good as Flint mayor, something is really wrong.

Post Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:28 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Public D schreef:
quote:
Dave Starr schreef:

Why do the same people who rail against and relish Kwame's demise fail to see that Williamson is as bad – or worse – for the city of Flint?

Dollar for dollar, I'm pretty sure the Don does have him beat. Oh well. Let's blame Walling for both, right?

I see the recall as an attempt to overturn the election since it didn't turn out the way the Dems establishment wanted it to. They're more interested in who's in charge than they are in doing anything for Flint.
Fifty plus years of the democrats controlling Flint politics has accomplished what?

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Post Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:33 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Kevin McKague
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Public D said:

quote:
: Dave Starr schreef:

Both have oversized egos that prohibit them from seeing how their own behavior can be their own biggest obstacles.

At least Kwame has enough sense to know he doesn't have a chance at a run for the governor.
Post Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:18 pm 
Kevin McKague
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Dave Starr schreef:
quote:
Public D schreef:
quote:
Dave Starr schreef:

I see the recall as an attempt to overturn the election since it didn't turn out the way the Dems establishment wanted it to. They're more interested in who's in charge than they are in doing anything for Flint.
Fifty plus years of the democrats controlling Flint politics has accomplished what?

Dave, can you point to anything on the list of reasons for a recall as invalid, or false?

Even if your point is valid, about Dems merely being unhappy with the outcome of the election, are you saying that the Don is the only alternative available to those in the "Dem establishment"?

Are there any Republicans up to the task, in your assessment?

Besides, isn't Don running for Governor, as a Democrat?
Post Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:26 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

I would have bet money that the Don is a Democrat. You telling us he isnt?? I mean if it walks like a duck well you know. Remember when his old lady put up the money for one of those idiotic "Gun buy back" schemes. She has to be one also.

Last edited by twotap on Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:35 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

15. Council also culpable.
14.Could be didn;t appoint the council's cronies & hacks.
13. Disbursing his salary to block clubs?
12. Document how he did this.
11. Council also culpable.
10. proposing that people vote on a tax is grounds for a recall?
9. Council would automatically vote against anyone he nominates.
8. Most of these filed before he became Mayor.
7. Document, please. Council doesn't follow it either.
6. Can this be proved in court?
5. This policy has been on the books for years.
4. Refusing to kiss the council's butt is grounds for a recall?
3. Then every politician in the country should be recalled.
2. You haven't talked to th folks in the North end, have you? They like it.
1. Not being a smooth talking professional politician is grounds for recall?

Several of these "reasons" could be used to recall the council as well.

NO, I don't think Don walks on water; he makes mistakes. But, at least he tries. All I see the majority of the council do is oppose him at every turn. I couldn't care less if he's not a smooth talker. He cares about us folks in the neighborhoods. The professional politicians only come around at election time. I see the Mayor often at neighborhood & block club meetings: our councilwoman, never.

Post Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:38 pm 
Josh Freeman
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Dave Starr schreef:
15. Council also culpable.
14.Could be didn;t appoint the council's cronies & hacks.
13. Disbursing his salary to block clubs?
12. Document how he did this.
11. Council also culpable.
10. proposing that people vote on a tax is grounds for a recall?
9. Council would automatically vote against anyone he nominates.
8. Most of these filed before he became Mayor.
7. Document, please. Council doesn't follow it either.
6. Can this be proved in court?
5. This policy has been on the books for years.
4. Refusing to kiss the council's butt is grounds for a recall?
3. Then every politician in the country should be recalled.
2. You haven't talked to th folks in the North end, have you? They like it.
1. Not being a smooth talking professional politician is grounds for recall?

Several of these "reasons" could be used to recall the council as well.

NO, I don't think Don walks on water; he makes mistakes. But, at least he tries. All I see the majority of the council do is oppose him at every turn. I couldn't care less if he's not a smooth talker. He cares about us folks in the neighborhoods. The professional politicians only come around at election time. I see the Mayor often at neighborhood & block club meetings: our councilwoman, never.

Dave, Dave, Dave.... I don't know where to start. Maybe you should stop drinking the same Kool-Aid as David Dicks (or whatever it was that he was drinking that caused him to cross the center line and hit the oncoming car head-on).

Mayor Williamson has been a miserable failure. Simply showing up at a block club meeting and giving you a $200.00 check does not make him a great Mayor. Why can't we expect more than table scraps?

* Is it too much to ask that our Parks get mowed on a timely and regular basis?
* Is it too much to ask that we have competent appointees who are actually qualified for the position that they hold?
* Is it too much to ask that we have some actual economic development in the City?
* Is it too much to ask that instead of trying to saddle the residents with a huge tax increase to bail the government out they we instead have a City Government that lives within it's means?
* Is it too much to ask that we actually have Code Enforcement?
* Is it too much to ask that when there is money to keep the Jail open (like there is right now) that we don't get budget amendments to close the jail and use the money to hire more cronies in the Mayor's Office?
* Is it too much to ask that in a City with an arson rate like ours that we don't try to lay off 9 fire fighters which would essentially close 1 fire station?
* Is it too much to ask that in the City that ranks consistently in the top 5 that we not lay-off 59 police officers while we continue to pay political hacks like Peggy Cook over $90,000.00 a year to do nothing.
* Is it too much to ask that instead of continuing to appeal lawsuits that we know we are going to lose all the way to the Supreme Court, lawsuits that are costing us over $60,000.00 a month in interest alone, that we instead settle them in a cost effective way?
* Is it too much to ask that when our Mayor goes to meet with the CEO of Delphi that he doesn't fall asleep during the meeting?
* Is it too much to ask that when a Police Officer gets fired for using Cocaine and the State refuses to recertify him that the Mayor not hire him back giving him full back pay (for 2 years), sign on bonus, etc, and then pay him out of the Police Department's budget essentially denying a real police officer a job?

I could go on almost endlessly....

But I guess if you are happy with those $200.00 checks that they hand out at the block meetings... well you have certainly found your Mayor.
Post Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:57 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address  Reply with quote  
Josh Freeman
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Dave Starr schreef:

You apparently don't know Alex Harris very well... he is hardly a Democrat.... He thinks that Barry Goldwater leaned too far to the left.
Post Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:58 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address  Reply with quote  
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Josh, and several people here, seem to feel that everything bad in Flint is 100% the Mayor's fault. Is the council 100% blameless in all this? At the council meetings I've attended, the contact I've had with council members, all I hear is the Mayor this, the Mayor that.
Appointing cronies? Name one politician that hasn't.
Finances; isn't the council supposed to be a check on spending? What have they done?
I'm not a politician or into politics at all. I'm just a guy that sees the Mayor at least trying to do something more than make downtown and the college areas into a clone of Ann Arbor. I never see our representatives on the council come to the neighborhoods they represent and ask the people what their concerns are.
We had a problem on our block with dogs. Our councilwoman, Carolyn Sims, was contacted to see if she could help. We got an letter saying she couldn't do anything because of the Mayor's policy about contacting departments without going through him, along with 4 pages of memos to that effect. She also sent a copy on the referral slip she sent to the mayor's office. Why waste our money on all those copies? It looked like an attempt to avoid our issue. We talked to David Dicks about the problem & he met with animal control at the house in question the next day & got the problem solved.
It's all politics, and it disgusts me.

I see this whole thing as certain people being po'd because their guy lost the election & willing to do whatever it takes to boot Don.

Post Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:56 am 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: