FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Open chat

Topic: Witherbee's Market & Deli, Downtown
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Opprimo
F L I N T O I D

quote:
moxie229 schreef:
I'm new, but I have my view.. One, Yes they are taking a chance opening any store in downtown flint. But remember even a turtle has to stick his neck out to get anyware. I'm sure it dosent hurt having the DDA, and/or the Mott Foundation footing most of the bill/grant. Two, at least 50% of the farmers at the Flint City Market are truck farmers who drive to all parts of the state to buy there product. Lastly keep the windows.

That (50%) comment makes me feel good. I know that I am in the minority, but I walk past anything in a grocery store to buy something grown in Michigan. I buy everything i can from my local (private owned) grocery, and I would buy everything from a local owned gas station, but the closest thing I got is one owned by a guy who lives in the next town over. I realize in the big picture this is a drop in the bucket in this Wal-Mart era, but it does help me sleep at night.

Post Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:17 pm 
moxie229
F L I N T O I D

COOL..........,and I agree.
Post Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:02 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

VERY TRUE! I am excited for it to open and think its long over due!

quote:
Opprimo schreef:
quote:
moxie229 schreef:
I'm new, but I have my view.. One, Yes they are taking a chance opening any store in downtown flint. But remember even a turtle has to stick his neck out to get anyware. I'm sure it dosent hurt having the DDA, and/or the Mott Foundation footing most of the bill/grant. Two, at least 50% of the farmers at the Flint City Market are truck farmers who drive to all parts of the state to buy there product. Lastly keep the windows.

That (50%) comment makes me feel good. I know that I am in the minority, but I walk past anything in a grocery store to buy something grown in Michigan. I buy everything i can from my local (private owned) grocery, and I would buy everything from a local owned gas station, but the closest thing I got is one owned by a guy who lives in the next town over. I realize in the big picture this is a drop in the bucket in this Wal-Mart era, but it does help me sleep at night.

Post Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:47 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
omgasmurf
F L I N T O I D

so is there any news on the store?
Post Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:36 am 
munnbreslin
F L I N T O I D

Come on Oppinionated, the most important way to transform a region is by changing your mindset. The area may not be "miller road" now, but when student housing opens, the Berridge completes, and if the Durant Hotel project goes through, that area will be 100 times better than now.
Post Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:26 pm 
LakeWoman50
F L I N T O I D

It was suppose to be open last year, two guys came to the College Cultural Meeting last year and explained the market to us. The owners names are David White, Michael Freeman, Perry Compton and a girl that I don't know her name.
Post Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:40 am 
brianstarr
F L I N T O I D

does anybody think its wise to place a business like the grocery store into a location and area where every business before it has failed i drive by the location where the store is supposed to be and there has been no activity in the building where the store is supposed to be in months and i thought this was supposed to be open back in the spring maybe the need a different location downtown because nothing has survived in the area or building where they want to put the store.
Post Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:49 pm 
Mellow D
F L I N T O I D

That is a great question, Brian. A lot of businesses go belly up down there.

Still, Jag the Haberdasher and Wolverine Auto have been in business on that block for years, and Big Al's Fish and Rib Crib had people coming and going the entire time they were open. The Soggy Bottom does ok. I think it depends on the business and their ability to work well in this community.

I'd love to see a grocery in there. The closest thing to real food around there is the Farmer's Market. A small grocery would be a great compliment to it. Especially if the Durant turns into 120 upscale apartments.

Not holding my breath, but crossing my fingers for sure!
Post Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:02 pm 
Adam Ford
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Mellow D schreef:
That is a great question, Brian. A lot of businesses go belly up down there.

Still, Jag the Haberdasher and Wolverine Auto have been in business on that block for years, and Big Al's Fish and Rib Crib had people coming and going the entire time they were open. The Soggy Bottom does ok. I think it depends on the business and their ability to work well in this community.

Jag the Haberdasher is closing if not already closed. Sad
Post Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:47 pm 
LakeWoman50
F L I N T O I D

From what my neighbor tells me the money is all grants and public funding.

quote:
brianstarr schreef:
does anybody think its wise to place a business like the grocery store into a location and area where every business before it has failed i drive by the location where the store is supposed to be and there has been no activity in the building where the store is supposed to be in months and i thought this was supposed to be open back in the spring maybe the need a different location downtown because nothing has survived in the area or building where they want to put the store.
Post Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:32 pm 
brianstarr
F L I N T O I D

why has there been no activity on this grocery store project in the downtown area in almost a year it would appear that project is dead since i drive by location every day on my way down town and there has been no activity at the location in almost a year
Post Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:22 pm 
andi03
F L I N T O I D

Is this brian starr related to "our" Dave? Smile

Post Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:40 pm 
Opinionated
F L I N T O I D

munnbreslin, my post you're referring to was almost 7 months ago. I had to go back and read the entire thing before I realized I even posted to this board. The I re-read your post. It made absolutely no sense to what I commented on.

Post Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:37 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

quote:
andi03 schreef:
Is this brian starr related to "our" Dave? Smile

Yes.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:20 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: