FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Ignore the polls, this is why Sen. Barack Obama is going win
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Kevin McKague
F L I N T O I D

You didn't really think I'd stay away until Monday, did ya? Especially when the topic comes around to spelling, and I'm driving through Ohio, the most boring of all of our United States. I'm usually the spelling cop, at least around the house, and I have to say, I spelled "obstacles" correctly. I think TT was objecting to my assertion that obstacles to voting in certain neighborhoods exist. He hadn't caught a spelling error. Evidence of such obstacles is out there, and as soon as I get to a real computer, I'll provide it. In the meantime, has anyone noticed that since my original post, nobody has even tried to dispute my point, that Barack Obama is going to win? We've heard about Tyson chicken and speculation about voter motives, but nothing about the facts I provided.
Post Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:15 am 
Opinionated
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Kevin McKague schreef:

I guess we're just going to have to agree to disagree, because I don't know how the heck, when nearly the exact same percentage of African-Americans vote for Johnson through Kerry as they do Obama, how race is their motivation all of a sudden.

It's party, not race. If it wasn't more would have voted for Nixon- Bush, but they didn't.

Now, I am willing to bet that more of them are going to make sure to get to the polls regardless of obstacles, and be happier to do it this year, because of the fact that Barack Obama is an historic candidate, something they weren't so proud of with John Kerry.

But then again, the same could be said of me, and millions of other white people, so "racism" doesn't explain that either.

I guess we are going to have to agree to disagree. Which is okay. Openly communicating points of view is what these discussion boards are all about.

The reason why they weren’t voting as much during the years from Nixon through Bush is, again, there wasn’t a black candidate. What about that aren’t you getting? It’s race, not party.

You talked about the obstacles, but read twotap’s post. He said it best. Thanks, TT! That’s exactly what I’m saying. Now that African-Americans are voting more and more, they are sometimes getting more consideration to get to the polls than others. So those “obstacles” you mentioned are frequently considered advantages.

You’re constantly making my points by stating your views. Look what you wrote:

“….more of them are going to make sure to get to the polls regardless of obstacles, and be happier to do it this year, because of the fact that Barack Obama is an historic candidate…..” and then went on to add….“the same could be said of me and millions of other white people, so "racism" doesn't explain that either.”

Are you kidding me? That’s the epitome of racism! You’re admitting that you will vote for Obama (hopefully there are other reasons) is because he’s black! Not because of where he stands on the issues and what he can do, but because he’s this “historic” candidate. That’s like me saying I’m voting for him because I have a brother who lives in Chicago, or because I like the way he ties his shoes, or because he has a pretty wife. For the record, I think his wife is hot.

And I’m sure you didn’t mean “historic” in that he’s the first Presidential candidate who was ever born in Honolulu.

Post Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:26 am 
Opinionated
F L I N T O I D

Sure, if you polled African-Americans as to why they are voting for Barack Obama, they will probably say to help the poor and middle class, protect the environment, stop alienating our allies, protect civil liberties, and restore a respectful balance of power between the branches of government. And you don't think McCain isn't saying he'd do that, too? Come on - you're denying they aren't taking race as a factor, and they are! In fact, so are you, it sounds like!

Have fun in Tennessee and Wisconsin. I would ask what's there and the reason, but that's a whole seperate thread. Stop by Gatlinburg for me!

Ohio is indeed incredibly boring. I have plenty to say about The Land Bank, but again, will post that on the other thread.

I certainly won't dispute your point, that Barack Obama is going to win. It's the one thing you've said in the last 10 posts that I 100% agree with!

Post Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:37 am 
Kevin McKague
F L I N T O I D

You're on a real computer, do me a favor. Google up some poll results asking what percentage of African-Americanswould vote for Alan Keyes, the black conservative candidate in 2004. I bet it was right around fifteen percent. I'm excited about voting for the man because I think he will do a fantastic job. Being more excited because he is black is simply because I'm proud of the fact that it finally appears, after centuries of oppression, our nation is finally willing to take the step to elect a qualified minority to our highest office. That doesn't make one a racist, it makes us proud of the fact that our nation is finally becoming a more democratic nation. Gotta leave it at that, cell batt is almost dead. More later.
Post Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:40 am 
Kevin McKague
F L I N T O I D

You're on a real computer, do me a favor. Google up some poll results asking what percentage of African-Americanswould vote for Alan Keyes, the black conservative candidate in 2004. I bet it was right around fifteen percent. I'm excited about voting for the man because I think he will do a fantastic job. Being more excited because he is black is simply because I'm proud of the fact that it finally appears, after centuries of oppression, our nation is finally willing to take the step to elect a qualified minority to our highest office. That doesn't make one a racist, it makes us proud of the fact that our nation is finally becoming a more democratic nation. Gotta leave it at that, cell batt is almost dead. More later.
Post Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:41 am 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

Alan Keyes is a bad example. He also ran in 2008. Black Repubnlican Conservatives I know weren't even supporting Alan keyes. If Obama was a good as Keyes he probably would have only gotten 60 or 70% of the black liberal democrat vote if that.

Our nation is definately becoming more liberal and more democrat/republicrat. Bush has done a good job of keeping real small government conservatives at bay while he did a Clintonesque style government expansion.

I think we are slowly beginning to see the effects of our gradually move to the left.
Post Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:28 am 
Opinionated
F L I N T O I D

Being excited about voting for Obama because he'll do a good job is different than voting for him because he's half-black. You can be excited all you want that we'll finally have an African-American Chief, but the best person for the job is the one who should take that oath. Not the person who whose race has overcome oppression.

I'm also very happy (as you would) when minorities (and isn't being white the minority in Flint city these days) are given equal opportunities. I'm very proud to see my good friend and favorite local judge doing so well (who is African-American). Voting for them over someone who could do better would be wrong. It's extremely coincidental that most blacks think Obama could do a better job than McCain, without even knowing much about either's platforms!

Yes, Kevin - it does make one a racist (no matter what color they are favoring), if their decision is based wholly or even partially on color.

You're doing all this from your cell phone? While driving? Now it's you who we admire!

Post Sun Aug 03, 2008 2:05 pm 
Opinionated
F L I N T O I D

Oh, and I forgot about the Alan Keyes thing.

Adam's right about him being a bad example. From what I discovered, it appeared as if there were another African-American running against him? Is that right? I got hung up and I couldn't find much that spoke directly to the percentages. If you have a link that supports your numbers, you can include it, but it isn't necessary. I don't dispute them.

Post Sun Aug 03, 2008 2:13 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: