FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Ignore the polls, this is why Sen. Barack Obama is going win
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Kevin McKague
F L I N T O I D

I think that is a vast over-simplification of the issue. If what you're stating is true, than why have a similar proportion of African-Americans voted for nearly every white Democratic nominee since Johnston? It has more to do with the party's policies.
Post Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:11 pm 
Opinionated
F L I N T O I D

It may be over-simplifying it a bit, but the answer to your question is easy. The reason why African-Americans voted have typically voted for nearly every white Democratic nominee since Johnston is because there has been no black candidates! Or very few. And I can say, without reservation, that if there were, African-American voted wen tto them at that point. It has nothing to do with the party's policies.

Post Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:20 pm 
Kevin McKague
F L I N T O I D

Opinionated, if, as you stated, about 90% of African-American voters are voting for Obama because he is black, then how do you account for the same percentage voting for white Democratic nominees, if something OTHER than race was their motivation? I have no doubt that some, a small percentage, white and black, vote based on race, but your statements don't support your view.
Post Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:30 pm 
Kevin McKague
F L I N T O I D

Actually, that should have said: ". . . if something other than race were NOT the motivation."
Post Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:35 pm 
Opinionated
F L I N T O I D

Kevin, my statements very much support my view. My statements are accurate. My view is clear. I am a perfect example of not voting based on race. I think Obama is clearly the lesser of the two evils, and the better choice. That decision has nothing at all to do with race. I'm not sure I understand your question. You're asking how do I account for the same percentage of blacks voting for white Democratic nominees, if something OTHER than race was NOT their motivation? I thought I had answered that. There has been no African-American candidates, or very few, until now.

Post Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:44 pm 
Kevin McKague
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Opinionated schreef:
Great question, LakeWoman50. The reason why 90% or more of African-Americans are voting for Obama is because he is half black. That's it. In a nutshell. No more. They identify with his race, even if they do not agree with his policies and stances on issues. That, by definition, is a racist.

9o% are voting for him simply because he's black?

Then why did the same 90% of the same people vote for John Kerry?

Of course it has everything to do with party stance, otherwise, if race were the main factor in determining who to vote for, and not stance, the split among African-American voters before Barack Obama would have been more evenly split between Dems and the GOP. It wasn't.

Last edited by Kevin McKague on Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:57 pm 
david
F L I N T O I D

it would seem that censorship is alive and well on the forum. what next, the "fairness doctrine?"

anyone else been censored on the board?

david
san diego
Post Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:57 pm 
Opinionated
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Kevin McKague schreef:

9o% are voting for him simply because he's black?

Then why did the same 90% of the same people vote for John Kerry?

Of course it has everything to do with party stance, otherwise, if race were the main factor in determining who to vote for, and not stance, the split among African-American voters before Barack Obama would have been more evenly split between Dems and the GOP. It wasn't.

Kerry didn't have an African-American opponent. If he had, most of the black vote would've went to that candidate. No question about it.

It's clearly obvious most African-Americans are voting for him because he's half black. Nothing to do with issue stance (no, not party). The split among African-American voters wasn't more evenly split between "Dems" and "GOP" because race was the main factor. You answered your own question while making my point.

Let's simply bet. Let's go out on the street, right here in Flint (or really anywhere in America), and pick 100 people. Fifty white, fifty black. I'll make a prediction and bet that most of the fifty blacks voted for Obama. A huge majority. Big time. Why - because he's black. Now I won't deny that most of the whites would vote for McCain, but a bigger percentage of African-Americans would vote for Obama than whites for McCain. There's ONLY one reason for that. And it's not because they love the windy city.

Post Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:21 pm 
strattonsigns
F L I N T O I D

Johnston? Who the hell is Johnston....Einstein?
Post Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:33 pm 
Opinionated
F L I N T O I D

I didn't even catch that, stratton, thanks. He must mean the guy who replaced Kennety.

Post Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:54 pm 
Kevin McKague
F L I N T O I D

quote:
strattonsigns schreef:
Johnston? Who the hell is Johnston....Einstein?

Oh, for cryin' out loud, I was typing using thumbs on my cell phone browser.

I wrote an essay there, and the only thing Stratton cares to comment on is a typo? Stratton is a spelling cop now?

Last edited by Kevin McKague on Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:43 am 
Kevin McKague
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Opinionated schreef:

It's clearly obvious most African-Americans are voting for him because he's half black. Nothing to do with issue stance (no, not party). The split among African-American voters wasn't more evenly split between "Dems" and "GOP" because race was the main factor. You answered your own question while making my point.

Big time. Why - because he's black. Now I won't deny that most of the whites would vote for McCain, but a bigger percentage of African-Americans would vote for Obama than whites for McCain. There's ONLY one reason for that. And it's not because they love the windy city.

I guess we're just going to have to agree to disagree, because I don't know how the heck, when nearly the exact same percentage of African-Americans vote for Johnson through Kerry as they do Obama, how race is their motivation all of a sudden.

It's party, not race. If it wasn't more would have voted for Nixon- Bush, but they didn't.

Now, I am willing to bet that more of them are going to make sure to get to the polls regardless of obstacles, and be happier to do it this year, because of the fact that Barack Obama is an historic candidate, something they weren't so proud of with John Kerry.

But then again, the same could be said of me, and millions of other white people, so "racism" doesn't explain that either.
Post Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:51 am 
Kevin McKague
F L I N T O I D

Oh, and if you polled African-Americans as to why they are voting for Barack Obama, they will probably give the same reasons I (A pale white guy) would give: Obama would do more to help the poor and middle class, protect the environment, stop alienating our allies, protect civil liberties, and restore a respectful balance of power between the branches of government.

Reasons very much like the reasons most Democrats gave, black or white, for voting for John Kerry.

Now, I'm heading off to Spring Hill, TN and Wisconsin, so that will have to be my last word for a while, because, as you saw before, my thumb typing skills on the cell phone browser aren't up to Stratton's ideal level.

Please go to the Land Bank thread if you're interested in doing something about urban blight in Flint. I'll check back there Monday.
Post Sun Aug 03, 2008 2:26 am 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Now, I am willing to bet that more of them are going to make sure to get to the polls regardless of obstacles

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Ya right bus service to and from polling places in black neighborhoods, polls stay open later in black neighborhoods, and only recently have to show thru voter ID who the hell they actually are, those are some obstacles alright??? Laughing
Post Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:16 am 
Opinionated
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Kevin McKague schreef:
Oh, for cryin' out loud, I was typing using thumbs on my cell phone browser. I wrote an essay there, and the only thing Stratton cares to comment on is a typo? Stratton is a spelling cop now?

No, but I am (a spelling cop, that is). And I missed it. Just ask Adam. I pinned him down on almost every sentence he writes (if you can even call it that). Of course, he was an easy target. The way his posts read made him sound like a third grader. I'm sure he talks the same way, too. Kudos to stratton for catching that. And to twotap for the "obstacles." Although that's not as ambiguous as Johnston, and I was able to figure out what you meant by that. However, a guy who uses the expressions, "Oh, for cryin' out loud" and admits that he's "a pale white guy" shows he's at least real, and can't be all that bad.

Post Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:42 am 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: